Anyone ever found Cougar Lake in Linn County?

tastybrookies
tastybrookies
I tried to bushwhack my way to this remote lake, located probably about 2 north of Highway 20 and 20 miles east of Foster lake as the crow flies. I got maybe about a quarter mile from the lake, but it was really hard going, no trail whatsoever. There was evidence of a campsite, so I was wondering if anyone on here had ever found their way to this lake?

• image.jpg
Reactions: troutdude
jamisonace
jamisonace
I found directions in John Shewey's: Complete Angler's Guide to Oregon

Here's a quick summary. If you want all the details I can take a pic or something.

The route requires a circuitous drive through miles of logging roads.

Begin on FR 2047. From 2407 look for 2049 turning to the East. Cougar Lake requires a 1/2 mile of bushwacking originating from spur 630 or 635.

One important note might be that 2049 crosses Cougar Creek but Cougar Creek does not flow from Cougar lake.

Reactions: tastybrookies
tastybrookies
tastybrookies
Thanks! Yeah, Shewey's book is where I had the idea to try and find it in the first place. I was able to navigate to spur 630, and get to the parking area near where the red line starts on my map. I just struggled to bushwhack my way along the red line. Looks easy on the map, but a half mile can be tricky to navigate safely, especially if you want to find your way back through the forest. Yesterday I tried finding Crescent Lake (Linn County, not on hwy 58), which is described a few pages later in the Shewey book. The tricky thing is, Shewey's book is a little outdated. It said Crescent Lake was a one mile creek walk, but the creek was totally overgrown and impassable. I really want to get to these lakes, because I'm sure the brook trout are large and plentiful, since no one can get there! LOL

Reactions: jamisonace
jamisonace
jamisonace
tastybrookies said:
Thanks! Yeah, Shewey's book is where I had the idea to try and find it in the first place. I was able to navigate to spur 630, and get to the parking area near where the red line starts on my map. I just struggled to bushwhack my way along the red line. Looks easy on the map, but a half mile can be tricky to navigate safely, especially if you want to find your way back through the forest. Yesterday I tried finding Crescent Lake (Linn County, not on hwy 58), which is described a few pages later in the Shewey book. The tricky thing is, Shewey's book is a little outdated. It said Crescent Lake was a one mile creek walk, but the creek was totally overgrown and impassable. I really want to get to these lakes, because I'm sure the brook trout are large and plentiful, since no one can get there! LOL
I used to have your energy. LOL

I used that book to find a gem or two. If you ever want to fish for large brookies south of Roseburg I'll give you a tip to a lake that had some giants 10 yrs ago. I haven't been back but I'm guessing it would still be worth it.

Reactions: tastybrookies
tastybrookies
tastybrookies
I will totally take you up on that! I've got a bucket list going this summer of different lakes to try out and locate, but nothing south of Roseburg yet. We're heading out to Strawberry Lake this weekend for a camping/fishing trip, but I'll PM you after we get back

D
DonF
tastybrookies said:
Probably all stunted due to over population!