Anyone been crabbing?

M
mikeredding
Looks like nice weather this weekend and I think I am going to take my new boat out for the maiden fishing and crabbing trip. Has anyone tried crabbing out of Florence lately? Hopefully the salinity level will be OK by then. Hope to throw some jigs by the jetties while the pots are soaking. Never done that before but it seems like it could be fun.

E
eugene1
Mike,

You could also tow your new rig down to Winchester bay. We met a couple of guys cleaning their motor at the Scottsburg ramp last week. They were crabbing in half moon bay down there and picked up 12 of them. Sounded like it was pretty productive.

Best,

M
mikeredding
Thought about that but just didn't want to got that far and I think the water is a lot rougher near the jetties down there.

K
Kevinb5688
Crabbing and fishing in florence is about half has good as newport.
Throwing jigs around the jetty in newport will catch a lot of nice fish. The lings are still in close so you have a good chance of getting a few 22" plus fish.

B
bythesea
there's no boats out crabbing I stopped by the crabbing dock all they were catching were a bunch of small females.

C
CoastieFlo
We got about an inch of rain today (and counting) so figure that into your crabbing plans...more fresh water in the bay......Winchester is almost always 2-3 times better than here in Florence.

S
SeanC
My daughter and I went to Girabaldi Sunday. Tried for surf perch and crab off old coast gaurd pier. Failed...only thing we caught was a decent sized halibut. My daughter was happy to bring that in even though we had to release it cuz it wasn't in season.