Any tips for fishing wickiup?

M
mozzles
I've never caught a Kokanee or brown trout, other than last time I was here a small one from the bank. Now I'm back camping on the nw side of the lake, between crane and Davis arms, and with a kayak this time!

Don't have much for gear other than various spinners, power bait, and some kind of floating imitation eggs. Went out for a couple hours this morning and saw a few big fish jump but no bites. Any tips?

Zac

M
mozzles
Nice fish! Not sure how well I could troll in this kayak, doesn't have a spot to hold the pole behind me like some do. When you say trolling a fly, do you mean a tied fly for fly fishing? I do happen to have some of those.

Have heard a lot about rapalas but never used them. Sounds like I need to pick some up. I'll just stick with my blue foxes and rooster tails today and hope for the best!

Any tips on where to fish? I'm right by crane prarie channel, should I go up that? Hopefully I won't get in the way of too many boats, haha. Thanks a lot for your help.

Zac

T
Throbbit _Shane
Yup a fly fishing fly on a spinning rod LOL :D

I fished the Davis arm. Seen lots of fish action but almost everyone i talked to wasn't having much of any luck at all.

J
JeannaJigs
wickiup can be a tough fish. we fished it opening weekend, probably 10 or so of us, and didn't have much to show for it, I think two browns and a dozen or so kokanee. Rapalas ripped quickly seem to get the bigger fish but I had no such luck with them. Best thing that's worked for me is a fender and a worm in the deschutes arm on a crappy 2 foot long kids fishing rod LOL. Drunk fishing is grand.

B
Bgunder
I know that all of wikiup is closed to bait fishing now,your best bet is anything like a rapala and the spinners you have.I was up there mid-july and the fishin g wasn't all that great.Not sure where your camping but I always had luck in the coves and areas around them.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Bgunder said:
I know that all of wikiup is closed to bait fishing now,your best bet is anything like a rapala and the spinners you have.I was up there mid-july and the fishin g wasn't all that great.Not sure where your camping but I always had luck in the coves and areas around them.

Wrong. Only place in the lake closed to bait right now is the Deschutes Arm.

Copy and pasted from the regulations.

• Open April 28-Oct. 31.
• Deschutes River Arm, upstream of ODFW marker located near West South Twin boat
ramp, restricted to artificial flies and lures only with a 2 trout per day bag limit from
July 15-Aug. 31.
• Closed upstream of ODFW marker Sept. 1-Oct. 31.
• 25 kokanee (no size limits) in addition to other trout species catch limit.
• Closed from 1 hour after sunset until 1 hour before sunrise.
• No limit on size or number of warmwater game fish.

M
Mad dog
Countdown Rapala's in the Deschutes channel, let'em sink, fish them around logs or underwater structure, deep channels.

B
bfloyd4445
this lake is supposed to have too many kokanee but i have yet to see or meet anyone while i've been there that has caught even one. They all say the same thing. 25 fish limit, i dont think there is 25 kokanee in the whole lake

M
Mad dog
bfloyd4445 said:
this lake is supposed to have too many kokanee but i have yet to see or meet anyone while i've been there that has caught even one. They all say the same thing. 25 fish limit, i dont think there is 25 kokanee in the whole lake

There are!!!! I have known guy who have caught 25/hour pre-spawn! ;)

B
bfloyd4445
Mad dog said:
There are!!!! I have known guy who have caught 25/hour pre-spawn! ;)

chuckle......I wouldn't doubt it while he was sleeping<smile> In three days on the lake i only spotted a couple of fish on the hummer and no bites. they were at 40 feet in the river channel about four hundred yards away from the dam. Saw tons of little tiny fish maybe 4-6 inches around the boat and jumping in front of the dam.

J
JeannaJigs
The kokes were schooled up thick opening weekend in the middle of the main lake. Big fatties, all in the top. 20 feet. The smallest one caught from our group was over a pound.

F
fish face
I've been going to Wikiup for years and it's NEVER the same fishing trip twice. One year the wife and I caught nice size browns just floating worms off the shore. The next year we tried that and more and still nothing--like this year. If there is a secret to Wikiup I sure don't what it is. That being said, I still think it's paradise.

R
rainORsnow1
I happen to know what the trick is..... one of the guys from bend gave it up on one of the other forums. Unfortunately those fish are starting to turn. He would post pics all the time when people would say they got skunked. They'd say they got skunked and he'd pop up with ,"caught 40 in the morning" all the time! It was aganozing as I was one of those skunked people. Anyways its a gold Vance dodger with 8" leader to asometime orange sometimes red hoochie at 15' early morning. Deeper later. Hope this helps. They are just pigs! Last I heard they were averaging 2-3 pounds. Good luck!