Another where to question.

plumbertom
plumbertom
I've gotta get my 2016 license in the next day or two and I'm thinking about giving a try for some Trout.
I'd like to catch something bigger than the stockers although even that would be better than none.
So any suggestions as to where near Eugene might offer the best opportunity for larger model Rainbows?
I figure from trying to decypher the new regs, unless I fish the Willamette upstream from the Mckinsey, I'll be restricted to spoons and spinners, or maybe artificial grubs and worms.. I don't fly so that's out.
I also would be interested if anyone knows if power worms and grubs are considered bait or artificials.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I would check the stocking schedules, they are basically the same each year so don't worry if the 2016 are not up yet just go OFF the 2015, look for where they will be stocking lots of "pounders" and "trophys" and fish there. Bad news from what I see is that Eugene area doesn't get many 'pounders' or 'trophy' planters but NW Zone gets a lot starting in early February. cheers, roger

troutdude
troutdude
plumbertom said:
I also would be interested if anyone knows if power worms and grubs are considered bait or artificials.

This question, has already come up at least twice this month. I'm scratching my noggin', trying to figure out why. Because, it is very clearly spelled out...

Directly from page 8, of the 2016 reg book:

"Molded soft plastic or rubber imitations of worms, eggs, insects, bait fish, crayfish, etc. are considered baits."

As to where to go: I'd think Dorena would have, some nice hold overs. Also Hills Creek, and Lookout Point, should have some fatties. Check the regs, before heading out. There have been some changes, for many places. Also...the fish will be lethargic--just like we are, in frigid temps (ha ha ha).

So think SLOW, in terms of presentation. They won't move fast, or far, for food this time of year. Or float bait--where allowed--with scents, OFF the bottom and pretty close to shore. They will likely be, in the top 10' of the surface.

Last edited:
GungasUncle
GungasUncle
In fly & lure only waters - your lures must be either hard baits ala cranks, spinners, spoons or they must be non-plastic bodied jigs or flies. Lots of options for materials - hard to go wrong with marabou for your jigs. You could also use estaz worms, or those done up with a furled dubbing loop type tail. I thought I did a how-to in the fly fishing sub forum, but I couldn't find it. I'll have to take some new step by step photos and post up a how-to.

You could also just fish flies - drift fished or under a float - they work very well for trout.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Any of the local reservoirs will have hold overs. Lookout Point is only stocked in the rivers above the lake and not lake itself, generally if you catch a rainbow there it will be decent. But there are a bunch of small landlocked Chinook in there so there could be some decent nooks. Also the rumor is that there is also walleyes in lookout. Good luck!

Sent from my RCT6773W22B using Tapatalk

Reactions: Raincatcher
F
fisherman97
troutdude said:
This question, has already come up at least twice this month. I'm scratching my noggin', trying to figure out why. JBecause, it is very clearly spelled out...

Directly from page 8, of the 2016 reg book:

"Molded soft plastic or rubber imitations of worms, eggs, insects, bait fish, crayfish, etc. are considered baits."

As to where to go: I'd think Dorena would have, some nice hold overs. Also Hills Creek, and Lookout Point, should have some fatties. Check the regs, before heading out. There have been some changes, for many places. Also...the fish will be lethargic--just like we are, in frigid temps (ha ha ha).

So think SLOW, in terms of presentation. They won't move fast, or far, for food this time of year. Or float bait--where allowed--with scents, OFF the bottom and pretty close to shore. They will likely be, in the top 10' of the surface.

Just let them ask. If you don't like it. Don't read it?

troutdude
troutdude
fisherman97 said:
Just let them ask. If you don't like it. Don't read it��

So who are you...the forum police?

I
Iki Jime
plumbertom, I'm a native to the area, but new to fishing (after several years off). I also often ask questions that are commonly regarded as "common knowledge" among the old hands in the sport/ area. I, for one, sometimes get information overload when reading the regs. I understand that someone who has known them for years are only updating a little bit of information as the regs make changes, and keeping up is really easy for them to do.

troutdude, I can see why you'd be annoyed, but fisherman97 did have a decent point and followed up with a smiley face to show that he wasn't being hateful. A lot of us newbs will ask questions that seem redundant to the veterans in the sport... that's one of the reasons we come to OFF- to learn and ask newbie questions in a community-like environment without feeling embarrassed for not knowing the answers. I was misunderstood when I first started posting here after lurking for years. When another, more established member lashed out at me, I just about deleted my account and went to ifish instead. fisherman97 has all of 23 posts, can we give him the benefit of the doubt until we figure him out?

plumbertom, I'm in Springfield, and am trying to figure out fishing (of all kinds) in our local area also. Hit me up if you want to try some winter trout in the reservoirs nearby.

James

Reactions: Troutski
troutdude
troutdude
Iki Jime said:
troutdude, I can see why you'd be annoyed, but fisherman97 did have a decent point and followed up with a smiley face to show that he wasn't being hateful.

I re-read this whole thread; and clearly see that I made NO comments that, needed any sort of correction. I merely provided the answers, and gave suggestions, as was asked by Plumbertom. Hopefully he found those suggestions useful; as well as the clarification of the regs about what is considered "bait".

Fisherman07's comment; well that IMO was simply uncalled for. I wasn't in any way, shape, or form, bashing on Plumbertom. Hopefully, he knows that. If not; then please let me know.

Carry on, and happy trails.

N
newspin
this is why this forum rocks you guys all look out for newbs.
and as such i will vouch for TD being very out going in his willingness to help any folks who dont know.
either way. way to look out for the new guys

plumbertom
plumbertom
troutdude said:
I wasn't in any way, shape, or form, bashing on Plumbertom. Hopefully, he knows that. If not; then please let me know.

Carry on, and happy trails.
Ha!Ever been on a biker forum?
You don't get on those without your leathers.
I'm an old graybeard Harley rider.
You're gonna have to make a concerted effort at bashing to make me even notice.
I may be one of the hardest members to offend that you're gonna run across.
I usually take any comments in the same vein as I do on other forums.
It's almost always intended to a bit of good natured ribbing and if not , well you wasted your efforts 'cause my skin is as thick as my leather jacket.

By the way I found TD's comments to be just as useful as with other questions I've asked that he has taken the time to answer.
In fact I've found that I get useful information anytime I ask for it on this forum. If I didn't I'd quit asking for it.
I know I'm always gonna get a reply from some SAOB but usually I find them entertaining and occasionally downright Laugh worthy. Which I'm sure is the intent.
Sometimes I get referred to the archive or search sections. While I know the info I need is likely there, it's hard to find exactly what I'm looking for as it usually turns up every reference it can find then you have sift through it all.
Not to mention current info is always much better.

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Thanks guys. Glad that my comments, were taken civily (which was the intent, of course). Also happy that I've been helpful.

Tight lines to all...and stay dry!

P.S. Thanks for your comment too James; it did cause me to double check.

EOBOY
EOBOY
plumbertom said:
Ha!Ever been on a biker forum?
You don't get on those without your leathers.
I'm an old graybeard Harley rider.
You're gonna have to make a concerted effort at bashing to make me even notice.
I may be one of the hardest members to offend that you're gonna run across.
I usually take any comments in the same vein as I do on other forums.
It's almost always intended to a bit of good natured ribbing and if not , well you wasted your efforts 'cause my skin is as thick as my leather jacket.

By the way I found TD's comments to be just as useful as with other questions I've asked that he has taken the time to answer.
In fact I've found that I get useful information anytime I ask for it on this forum. If I didn't I'd quit asking for it.
I know I'm always gonna get a reply from some SAOB but usually I find them entertaining and occasionally downright Laugh worthy. Which I'm sure is the intent.
Sometimes I get referred to the archive or search sections. While I know the info I need is likely there, it's hard to find exactly what I'm looking for as it usually turns up every reference it can find then you have sift through it all.
Not to mention current info is always much better.

Don't want to hi-jack your thread but! Back in 2002 a vet. buddy and I were going to get Harleys. Our dream was to ride in Rolling Thunder. He bought a nice soft tail, can't remember what year. I was still looking and he was killed by a Kid who made a left turn in front of him. Another friend was behind him and said it should have never happened. I still think about getting one. But I think I would rather drown fishing.

plumbertom
plumbertom
EOBOY said:
Don't want to hi-jack your thread but! Back in 2002 a vet. buddy and I were going to get Harleys. Our dream was to ride in Rolling Thunder. He bought a nice soft tail, can't remember what year. I was still looking and he was killed by a Kid who made a left turn in front of him. Another friend was behind him and said it should have never happened. I still think about getting one. But I think I would rather drown fishing.
It's always regrettable when a brother goes down.
And I don't know anyone who rides that doesn't understand that every time you roll you chose to put your life at risk.
But tell me what you do that doesn't entail some risk? As you pointed out, there always risk when fishing as it requires proximity to water.
But if you haven't had your knees in the breeze while cruising and camping the back roads of this state or others, unless you backpack, you really haven't experienced it.
Don't get caught up in that "I always wanted a Harley" syndrome. Harley Davidsons are not for everyone. There are many other fine motorcycles available for different types of riding, you're not restricted to HDs even if you want an American made cruiser.
I've been a Harley guy for more years than I should mention but I built my first, a '66 FLH fat bob from a pile of parts and rode it for 20 years. Before that I rode Triumphs.
I always recomend to anyone who thinks they want a Harley to rent one first, see if it's really the bike for you. You can see plenty that got caught up in the Harley mystique for sale all the time. Bikes that are 5 or 6 years old or more with 5,000 miles on them.
Other than that, I advise this;
Life's just too damned short, buy the bike.

Last edited:
P
playhooky
"Life's just too short, buy the bike". I'll second that. If you can hack it, buy two. You only live once. There's two kinds of peeps out there.....those that own Harley's and those that wish they did! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453257209.694143.jpg

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
playhooky said:
"Life's just too short, buy the bike". I'll second that. If you can hack it, buy two. You only live once. There's two kinds of peeps out there.....those that own Harley's and those that wish they did!

I totally agree but I also think you can change "bike" to "boat" and, at least for some of us, "Harley's" to "Hobie's"...

P
playhooky
Couldn't agree more Rog.....I own a boat, have a collection of rods & reels I enjoy tremendously and regarding hobbies....m-m-m-......well, I like to tie flys but there's really nothing to compare to laying back on the HOG and roll'n on the throttle on a sweet stretch of asphalt! Ya kinda gotta do it to understand. Kinda like hook'n that first hot chinook ! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453268984.169604.jpg

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
playhooky said:
Couldn't agree more Rog.....I own a boat, have a collection of rods & reels I enjoy tremendously and regarding hobbies....m-m-m-......well, I like to tie flys but there's really nothing to compare to laying back on the HOG and roll'n on the throttle on a sweet stretch of asphalt! Ya kinda gotta do it to understand. Kinda like hook'n that first hot chinook !

I hear you and I've had a few internal combustion toys with decent power/weight ratios (68 Camaro with a 427, 72 Lotus Europa, 99 Miata that I supercharged and lowered, 76 Harley Davidson electric golf cart), but pedaling a Hobie kayak across a bar or through the surf into the ocean is another thrill that I recommend to anyone that gets the chance....
bottom line, follow your dreams and don't put things OFF, figure out what you love and do it!

N
newspin
^ x2 wise words.
Im not a harley guy (lack of opportunity).
plus i have to buck the norm I would say look at Kawasaki
ive owned their watercraft (jetski) awesome machine
one of my engineers at DFD had a kawi and,
love it so much he said no to multiple offers for more then he paid, from the dealer he bought it from.
when i can buy a bike it'll be a vulcan.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Epic hijacking! :popcorn: Ready to get back on topic now? :)