Access rights

madasahab
madasahab
ok, so I am sitting here wondering what the laws are on accessing a river that runs through private property? can you wade a stream to the high water mark as long as you don't trespass to get to the river? I am wondering this for the sake of fishing the Miami and other coastal streams that run through a lot of private property...:shock:

F
fish4life
That is only true if the river is deemed navigable, miami is not one of those. Chetco, Columbia, Coos, Coquille, John Day, Klamath, Mckenzie, Rogue, Sandy, Snake, Umpqua, and Willamette rivers are deemed navigable.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Navigable rivers/sloughs in Oregon.

Though there is much to be debated regarding the rationality behind what is navigable and not, here is the current (as far as I know) list of the ones that are considered navigable.
There are several rivers listed as Navigable on a state level, very few actualy - which is odd considering how many rivers have state funded boat ramps. There are however around 100 that are listed as federally navigable.

There is a loophole I keep hearing about, to the effect of: rivers with state funded ramps are deemed navigable between such ramp and the takeout, Not sure of the validity as I can't find a law written on it.

On a state level these are Navigable:
Chetco,
Columbia,
Coos,
Coquille,
John Day,
Klamath,
Mckenzie,
Rogue,
Sandy,
Snake,
Umpqua
Willamette.

Federally navigable waters in Oregon:

alsea bay & river to RM 13
bear creek (coos)
beaver slough
big creek (lane)
big creek slough
blind slough (including gnat creek)
bonneville channel
bradbury slough
burnside channel
calandar slough
canal creek (mouth to bridge to RM .06)
catching slough (mouth to RM 6)
cathlamet bay
chetco cove
chetco river
clatskanie river
clifton channel
coalbank slough
columbia river
columbia slough
coos bay
coos river
coos river south fork
cooston channel
coquille river
coquille river north fork
dean creek
depoe bay
duncan slough
eslick creek
gardiner channel
goble channel
government island channel
haynes slough
hood river
hudson slough (farey creek)
isthumus slough
joe ney slough
john day river (astoria)
john day river (the dalles)
kentucky slough
kilches river
knappa slough
larson slough
lewis and clark river
mcintosh slough
mckenzie river
mill creek (on umpqua)
millicoma river
millport slough
molalla river
multnomah channel
necanicum river
nehalem bay
nehalem river
nehalem river (north fork)
nestucca bay
nestucca river (big and little)
netarts bay
noel creek
north slough (coos)
oregon slough (N portland harbor)
oswego canal
oswego lake
palouse slough
port orford
prairie channel
pulaski creek
randolph slough
rogue river
sand lake
santiam river
siletz bay
siletz river
siuslaw river
siuslaw river (north fork)
skipanon river
smith river
snake river
sough slough (coos)
swan island lagoon
tillamook bay
tillamook river
tualatin river
umpqua river (including south fork)
walker island channel
wallace slough
wallooskee river (walluski)
warren slough
westport slough
willamette river
willanch slough
winchester bay
yachats river
yamhill river
yaquina bay
yaquina river
youngs bay
youngs river

food.jpg

Last edited:
madasahab
madasahab
thanks guys...although I did read that you could drift the Miami...does this make it navigable?

R
RunWithSasquatch
Weather or not you can place a boat on the water has nothing to do if its designated navigable by the state, and thats who matters.

madasahab
madasahab
RunWithSasquatch said:
Weather or not you can place a boat on the water has nothing to do if its designated navigable by the state, and thats who matters.

yeah, I just did some poking around and on the listed waterways you are good to the high water mark...on those not listed it says you are good to the high water mark, but you may face trespassing violations...wtf? that doesn't even make sense! yeah, do it , it's ok, but we'll bust you for it!!! guess brown nosing property owners is the key...

P
plumb2fish
If you ask for permission, pack out trash you come across and act as if you have been given a privledge, you would be surprised at the amount of people that will allow you access....however there are also quite a few people that have tried to be nice to fisherpeople in the past and have gotten burned....to them , also show respect and thank them for their time....(you might just be surprised)

madasahab
madasahab
plumb2fish said:
If you ask for permission, pack out trash you come across and act as if you have been given a privledge, you would be surprised at the amount of people that will allow you access....however there are also quite a few people that have tried to be nice to fisherpeople in the past and have gotten burned....to them , also show respect and thank them for their time....(you might just be surprised)

I most certainly would do so. I am not going to be the rotten apple that spoils the bunch...heck, I may even give them a fish!!!

J
JodysaHoser
What determines a high water mark? Flood or vegetation?

madasahab
madasahab
JodysaHoser said:
What determines a high water mark? Flood or vegetation?

Apparently where the vegetation ends is a good indicator...High water mark not flood mark...this is what I have read...

M
mrlindeman
The 2012 regs book clearly state in a visual diagram the answer to your question. :) Its a newer feature I think. I would go off of this before any advise here. Its the best way to avoid confusion and know for sure. We can provide advise, but we should not be used as law ya know. :)

Last edited:
madasahab
madasahab
mrlindeman said:
The 2012 clearly state in a visual diagram the answer to your question. :) Its a newer feature I think. I would go off of this before any advise here. Its the best way to avoid confusion and know for sure. We can provide advise, but we should not be used as law ya know. :)

right on brutha...

H
halibuthitman
The Miami is a navigatable waterway.... just not on the list-

madasahab
madasahab
halibuthitman said:
The Miami is a navigatable waterway.... just not on the list-

good to know...thanks