ABC trout fishing

G
grampa ron
I don't know how everyone else did yesterday, but I C&R so many small trout that I lost count. It's a shame that we are paying for such small fish to be stocked. There were quite a few that were not legal. Everyone should call the hatchery and complain. The squeaky wheel gets the grease

Last edited:
G
GrillMaster
Instead of whining maybe you should put some time in on a descent body of water and catch some quality fish, the ABC fishery is set up for kids. Grow up dude!

GM

Reactions: Troutski
jamisonace
jamisonace
Interesting. I thought all the trout they stocked had to be at least legal sized. I hope that's not indicative of what they'll be planting around the rest of the area.

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
I can understand where Grillmaster and Granpa Ron are both coming from. I too like to fish for planter rainbows and it sucks when you have to go through fifty 8-12" trout to finally catch a good sized one. I do believe the ODFW should stock bigger fish for adults and kids alike. But like Grillmaster said rivers are chalk full of big fish and I frequently fish the Siletz because it is my home river, for steely and chinook/coho.

D
DYJ
Not everyone has the knowledge or the time or the funding to go explore rivers.... there's a ton of reason that someone could prefer to fish a stocked pond in town. I think if they are gonna stock a pond they mine as well stock legal fish, for adults and kids to catch.

Reactions: eugene1
G
grampa ron
Talk about "grow up". For you that's like the Grand Canyon calling something deep!

Reactions: eugene1
hobster
hobster
grampa ron said:
Talk about "grow up". For you that's like the Grand Canyon calling something deep!

:lol: Yeah, take it easy on Grampa Ron. I'm in agreement, they should stock larger fish - it seems silly not to. Almost took my daughter down there today (since they are off school and I had to take off) but she wasn't too into it. Kinda bummed me out, I get excited about wettin a line no matter where it is. No big deal, hittin the coast tomorrow!

G
grampa ron
For the second day in row fishing was real good at ABC. Still mostly smalls tho. Fishing is fishing even if you don't spend a lot of cash doing it.

Reactions: Raincatcher
troutdude
troutdude
grampa ron said:
Fishing is fishing even if you don't spend a lot of cash doing it.

Ding Ding! And one does not have to be a high-brow--and even down right rude--about it. Such comments only reflect true character.

J
JeannaJigs
GrillMaster said:
Instead of whining maybe you should put some time in on a descent body of water and catch some quality fish, the ABC fishery is set up for kids. Grow up dude!

GM

I don't fish ponds personally because...I don't give a crap about trout, but not everyone is able to fish other places. Some people are physically not able to fish rivers or financially just can't afford to go somewhere more scenic. Maybe think before you insult someone when you don't know anything about their situation, just a thought.

Reactions: SiletzTroutKiller and eugene1
E
eugene1
+1 good post JJ,

JeannaJigs said:
I don't fish ponds personally because...I don't give a crap about trout, but not everyone is able to fish other places. Some people are physically not able to fish rivers or financially just can't afford to go somewhere more scenic. Maybe think before you insult someone when you don't know anything about their situation, just a thought.

C
chrisohm
JeannaJigs said:

I second that!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
:think: :popcorn: :cool:

Troutski
Troutski
Rude behavior...

Rude behavior...

Grillmaster won't be around for awhile, he will be cooling off with a suspension:naughty:. I know this guy, this isn't his normal behavior, hopefully he will be more respectful when he comes back.

Chuck

G
grampa ron
I C&R 29 trout today. Out all those, 2 were what could have been keepers.

J
JeannaJigs
I know it's normal practice in lakes to stock undersize fish to be caught as holdovers, but you wouldn't think they would do that in alton baker where they just get flushed out anyways. The survival rate of stocked trout in rivers is dismal at best, so it just makes no sense unless something happened at the hatchery like a viral outbreak or something and they euthanized the larger fish and are supplementing with what's available.