A few carp flies

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Not sure if everyone realizes how cool it is to have John Montana on this very forum, but I've learned a ton from his blog & various podcasts over the past couple of weeks. Thought I'd share the latest batch of flies I tied based on his advice:

AjOnm6b.jpg

Also just picked up a new rod and plan to be back on the hunt this weekend.

Good times, here we come!

J
john montana
Speaking of carp flies...i got some prototype Clam patterns in the mail the other day and David and I tried them this last weekend.

AC-1DB659E8018E-32032-00001AAEA2EE4AE4_zps5716f34f.jpg

They work. The designer is redoing a few things to tweak the sink rate, and soften the material (we had several just pop out of the fish, couldn't get that hook buried right) but the eats were clear and decisive. I'm not sure if a straight clam is better than a hybrid (which is sort of a clam, worm, nymph catch all) but I plan to play with this some more for sure.

Book went to a dude in TX! Sorry! Didn't see your entry jrbecca or spydy (but my kids picked a random winner anyway). I'm working on a photo contest for late summer...gotta round up some prizes.

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Those look deadly, but I must admit, if too much of a fly is "pre-fab," it just feels like a lure to me. I feel the same way about a lot of crawfish patterns, some mice, frogs, etc. I'm all for catching fish on a lure too, but when I'm fly fishing, I like to use a fly.

I'll probably stick to those legendary hybrids. ;)