6/1/2012 good day for Kokanee

J
jaxworks
We came up Thursday eve and got on the lake Friday morning by 6:00 am and by 7:30 had 7 on board. Ended the day at 4:00 pm with a 2 hour break for lunch P1000079.jpgP1000090.jpgwith 14....all taken WITHOUT Shoepeg corn. I suppose this will generate some hate mail but I do not buy into the corn thing.:naughty: Kokanee are wild and have never been in a hatchery and fed corn or powerbait etc. so where in their past did this become a food source? :think: In the past, some guy rigged up for trout and started catching them on corn and the rumor spread and now since almost everyone uses corn it stands to reason almost all the Kokanee are caught using corn so the rumor persists. Every time we have been there we have matched or bettered the average of what the other boats are doing, without shoepeg. I also don't believe that what they bite on changes every year like some of the professional kokanee anglers in the recent tourney told us. I do think the 'bite' can come and go in an hour and early seems best to catch them little dudes. Anyway...my 2 cents.

A
alm21
Sounds like a great day. I haven't fished for Kokanee before but if I had a boat, I'd be all over it. What I have heard but correct me if I'm wrong, is that it's the sugar that the fish are attracted to so I'm guessing that's where the corn comes in. Recently, on Outdoor GPS of one pro-kokanee fisherman said that he's used syrup before (I think it was maple but maybe it was corn syrup).

J
jaxworks
Not sure why fish would want sugar instead of protein from meat (worms, flies, bugs etc.) but hoochies (which are supposed to mimic small squid) I can understand. I have thrown chewed up worms off my hooks over the side and seen Kokanee rise to take them. If you ask 4 fishermen what works you will get 5 different answers so I guess you use what works for you. Thanx for the input and good luck!

Last edited:
A
alm21
Corn, it's what's for dessert! Not sure either but who doesn't love a little sugar once in while? Especially when you're eating protein all the time. ;) I'm couple years out from getting a boat but someday I'll have one!

C
cowboysfan
Dont know about the whole corn debate but i have jigged straight buzz bombs and corn tipped buzz bombs and the corn seams to work best for me especaily when marinated in garlic for a while! sounds like you did good with what you were using!

T
Throbbit _Shane
I'm not a kokanee fisherman but i did stay at a holiday inn once.

I honestly believe the corn works! I fished Green Peter with Combat Chuck 2 weeks back. And we put about 40 kokes into the cooler and lost a bunch more. All with the corn soaked in his secret sauce lol.