3 hours to limit out at Hagg...sort of

J
jaxworks
P1000166.jpg
Got a late start so didn't get the gear wet until almost 9:00 am...by 11:00 had 5 nice fat trout and 4 Catfish. Got the last trout (#6) on the way back to the dock at 11:45. All caught in the middle of the lake as the water level is so low apparently the fish are pooling in the cooler deep stuff. Downriggers deeper at 30 and 35 this time. Lost count of all the ones we had on but that got off. They would hit so hard the line would release from the downrigger but then we'd lose them. All the trout were barely hooked but the catfish must have had a contest to see who could swallow the hook the deepest.:D I was told the limit of catfish is 100 so this wasn't a true 'limit' but was a fun day anyway.

T
Troutier Bassier
Nice fish! haha I hate it when they swallow the hook thats why I got a special dehooker device for that stuff it works great!

F
flocaster
There no limit on catfish so you can still call it a limit on a technicality LOL. Nice catch

troutdude
troutdude
I didn't know that cats could be caught, while trolling. Very cool.

J
jaxworks

I didn't know that cats could be caught, while trolling. Very cool.

I was surprised at the catfish we have gotten on the last few outings to Hagg. In the upper end above the buoys the whole plateau from the upper ramp across to Scroggins Creek is only 25 to 30 feet deep now and the cats are an easy catch.

R
Roolinghills
Do you eat the catfish??

J
jaxworks
Do you eat the catfish??

We have filet them out and fried them up...it tastes just like the catfish filets you buy in the store. These went to an Asian lady that uses them in some ethnic dish.

Last edited:
G
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
Nice trout/cat combo!

That's awesome that you can troll for cats.
We caught 5 trout out at North Fork Reservoire today, and they were all lightly hooked as well. Lost 3 more at the boat.

I might have to try some 25' jet divers out at hagg and see if i can make the catfish angry like you did :mad:

troutdude
troutdude
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It said:
We caught 5 trout out at North Fork Reservoire today, and they were all lightly hooked as well. Lost 3 more at the boat.

If you don't already do this...thread your worms on tail end first; with its head at the hook tip. Predators always strike at the head/neck of its prey. Doing this, has increased my hook-sets tremendously.

And, a trailer hook doesn't hurt either! lol

G
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
Thx, TD. I was thinking of trying some trailer hooks. I've seen some wedding rings with treble hooks on them...are those worthwhile for better hook-ups?

troutdude
troutdude
IMO, treble hooks are a detriment to fishing. Just a single trailer hook is fine (main hook too). Trebles just increase unnecessary mortality.

BTW, one the guys at Sportsman's Warehouse (Wholesale Sports now, I think), should me how to tie up my own trailer's. But, I need another lesson or two...ha ha ha. I just can't get the swing of it.

G
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
Yeah, I was glad i had a single hook when i hooked a smolt at North Fork Reservoire today. Much easier to release. It looked like a chinook smolt. Would that be likely?

troutdude
troutdude
IDK, if it was a nook or not. But, that's what I am talking about. You'll kill far less fish "accidentally", with a single hook, as you can release them much more safely.