0/2 on Coastal creek steelhead

G
Grifter
About 10 days ago I ventured out to one of the coastal creeks between Florence and Waldport. I walked (and by "walked" I mean delicately picked a thorny path through) about a 2 mile stretch of the creek all the way to the mouth. I fished every pool, tailout, elbow, and riffle, and approached each structure with tact and stealth, and nada. I realized that I was a little eager in my assessment of when the fish enter the river--the only steelhead I even saw all day was lingering under the bridge right near the shore (and it was a beast). I figured that maybe the creek needed a good rain to swell up and allow an influx of fish, so I left and resolved to return.

Yesterday seemed like a good opportunity weather wise, so I loaded up an hit the same creek (with the same result). I tried another adjacent creek, and never even flushed a steelhead out--saw absolutely nothing. The day wasn't a bust, I pulled in some ambitious rainbows, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed.

I know that some of this is just classic "welcome to winter steelheading"--but I also realize I may be fundamentally mistiming the runs. When do the coastal creeks peak, generally? Am I still playing it a little early? How far up such creeks do the fish typically move? And is there anywhere that might have run data on some of these streams (I have yet to find a reliable source on this).

I'm asking a lot, and just venting aloud more than anything. This post opens the door for plenty of "up **** creek" jabs, yeah, and they are definitely welcomed and in order.

Best of luck, all.

M
mattman32
I just moved to Florence and have been eyeballing those creeks a lot!! Unfortunately I haven't been able to go yet. But I have tried to research the hell out of them with no luck. I think the locals don't like to give up info on them. I know there are fish to be had. I've heard people in Eugene talk a lot about them. Had a couple friends say they fished them a week ago and fought one. If I try those creeks, I mean when I try them I will pm you with my results. Maybe we can get this figured out.

L
Lamiglas
Those creeks probably have a few in them but I'm betting the bulk of the run will be in Feb, March. As far as the part of the run we can fish anyway. If you keep trying I bet you'll get into one. I would wait for the next big blowout in february and hit it right after. That would be prime time, in my opinion.

Reactions: Grifter
J
JeannaJigs
You won't find many people opening their mouths about small systems on the Internet...

P
plumb2fish
Please treat those NATIVE fish with care. Those systems can't handle the added pressure that a blast on the internet will produce. Talk about fishing coastal streams is pretty general, but giving in between points isn't nec....lots of private property and unwelcoming land owners...so be careful out there....

J
JeannaJigs
plumb2fish said:
Please treat those NATIVE fish with care. Those systems can't handle the added pressure that a blast on the internet will produce. Talk about fishing coastal streams is pretty general, but giving in between points isn't nec....lots of private property and unwelcoming land owners...so be careful out there....

ditto. And pot farmers. Just saying...

G
Grifter
JeannaJigs said:
You won't find many people opening their mouths about small systems on the Internet...

I guess I should clarify--I am not hoping for the full-blown guide to any of these waters (I hope it didn't come off this way). I guess I was just more curious generally about the habits of the natives in a small ecosystem like that (where the timing is a little different from that of, say, the Slaw). I'm fine with a general lack of info on these streams. The few times I have fished there have shown me, in all seriousness, how incredibly special and delicate they are. thanks for your input.

M
mattman32
I feel the same way. We are all sportsman I hope. But at the same time I'm not about to let some land owner keep me from fishing a river that belongs to all of us. I NEVER trespass and am respectful of other people's property. As far as pot farmers go I don't give them that kind of power over me. Those creeks are no secrets. And if we respect those w fish and each other we will all be able to enjoy them. Sorry to climb up on my soap box but I'm getting a little tired of people thinking they own our rivers. This is not directed at any of the previous posters. You all sound like responsible sportsman to me. I just don't think we should be worrying about land owners and pot farmers if we are abiding by the rules and doing our part to preserve the fishery. Thanks for bearing with me here. It's been eating at me

R
rippin fish lips
mattman32 said:
I just don't think we should be worrying about land owners and pot farmers if we are abiding by the rules and doing our part to preserve the fishery.

Too bad you have to literally watch your back everywhere you go/fish now-a days.... but your right, we shouldnt have to worry bout them, but we gunna have to....

H
halibuthitman
Grifter said:
I guess I should clarify--I am not hoping for the full-blown guide to any of these waters (I hope it didn't come off this way). I guess I was just more curious generally about the habits of the natives in a small ecosystem like that (where the timing is a little different from that of, say, the Slaw). I'm fine with a general lack of info on these streams. The few times I have fished there have shown me, in all seriousness, how incredibly special and delicate they are. thanks for your input.
typicaly small systems with runs of only a handful of fish have a 2 week peak and then blam... flat, very hard to hit the timing.. for every 3,4 or5 fish day you will need to put in 5 or 6 skunks, its the nature of these creeks, good luck-

G
Grifter
halibuthitman said:
typicaly small systems with runs of only a handful of fish have a 2 week peak and then blam... flat, very hard to hit the timing.. for every 3,4 or5 fish day you will need to put in 5 or 6 skunks, its the nature of these creeks, good luck-

That's what I figured. I'm trying any advantage here, I guess. I am just imagining the thrill of tying in to a native fish on such small water, and I'll tolerate a few dozen skunk days to make it happen. Thank you sir.

As for the pot farmers (potentially), last week I had a guy in a big red econoline van warily creep past me as I scanned access points on the Forest Service road a couple miles back in there. I don't mean to cast aspersions, but dude was a straight-up cliche right out of High Times. I drove on, giving him wide berth, making it clear that I was interested in fishing only. Next time I'll bring some day old pizza to use as a possible diversion.

T
Thuggin4Life
We should just delete this thread before it becomes a resource of anything for anything other than just lies and rumors and misdirection.

H
halibuthitman
Thuggin4Life said:
We should just delete this thread before it becomes a resource of anything for anything other than just lies and rumors and misdirection.

whats wrong with lies rumors and misdirection? as for internet fame hurting them, the only guys who could consistently catch these fish, wouldn't fish for them... one of my favorite native only streams thats even listed in the washington state weekly report has no pressure, becouse fish cannot be retained, and no one wants to work that hard just to let a fish go... well, at least more than once... Ive never in 9 years run into another angler on it, and I routinely have 3-9 hook-up days on it.. fishermen are lazy, just like elk hunting, shooting an elk isn't hard... getting out of your truck and walking in the rain 6 miles behind a locked gate is hard.. no outdoorsman trick or place is secret.. just well defended by laziness, god bless gates, moss covered rocks and himalayan blackberries-

T
Thuggin4Life
well spoken. sometimes i just wonder about this era we live in with the ease of information sharing and google and all that compared to the closely guarded secrets and tight lips of the past.

H
halibuthitman
well, you,ll notice I definitely didn't mention the name of my secret creek... but I would take you there.. I just won't take you there here-

G
Grifter
halibuthitman said:
fishermen are lazy, just like elk hunting, shooting an elk isn't hard... getting out of your truck and walking in the rain 6 miles behind a locked gate is hard.. no outdoorsman trick or place is secret.. just well defended by laziness, god bless gates, moss covered rocks and himalayan blackberries-

This is spot on. I'm not after meat. I will hike my ass 20 miles back into the Frank Church just to fish an alpine lake alone. Well said. As for this thread's deletion, I am not against that either. I think I got a sufficient answer.