Legal or not

F
fishtales
I had to read the original post couple times and wait about a week then go back and read it again to figure out what you’re talking about. It finally came to me and I am not sure what that would officially be called. Maybe it is harassment of wild life.

I did not get it at first thinking that sometimes fish will get agitated and strike. I was not sure if you where saying that agitating a strike would be considered snagging. Makes sense to me now.

S
STURGEON FEAR
plain and simple its snagging no way around it that just tells me those who do it are not good enough fishermen or women to be able catch fish by skill just like anybody that shoots a deer or an elk after dark its ethics some have them some dont

B
bigdog
GoneFishin2134 said:
When we were at the mouth we saw the same thing, people wadding out into the water, size 6 lure, reeled to the top eye, and snagging fish.

I Have to say this is definitely illegal, and still is considered snagging. I hate people who snag fish, then go home and most likely make up some story on how they fought the fish for 20 mins.....makes me mad thinking of people snagging fish. My $.02

I think it makes us all mad but the sad thing is as long as we have runs like the ones we have there is always going to be snaggers out there. There is only so much we can do to stop it. I'm not saying we should turn the other way about it but at the same time we don't need a whole bunch of us out there trying to take the law in to our own hands either. Then we all would be in trouble instead of the snaggers.

pdx89 said:
can't agree more.. alittle off topic, but i have good friends in diffrent agencies... all of them say, that they are forced and pressured to write as much tickets as possibly, and for judges not to even think about reducing...
OK, its bad sounding.. but i rather have Police stop poaching of a few dozen Elk/Deer, then few dozens of some old red/black-sided dead coho which are now only food fish, if so... bigger impact on the future. just a thought

See now there we have first hand that they do have to meet a amount of fines in a time frame. Always seems like around the end of the month you see more police out on the roads pulling people over.

fishndad said:
i go out 2-3 times a week and catch salmon! sometimes i land 10 or more but not once do i need to snag one. i use the sportsman method i cast my gear and wait for a bite! this makes anyone more happy if they can succeed without snagging! if i catch a snagger he is more then likely gonna fall in the river on accident........thats my .02 cents

Now be carefull out there don't want to see you getting in to trouble for getting yourself in a fight on the water over something like this. It's not worth it just remember you are out there to have a good time. Not saying you shouldn't say anything but at the same time be carefull with what you say or do out there, seems to be a lot of people taking things a little to far and don't want to read in paper about a dead fisherman in any way.

fishtales said:
I had to read the original post couple times and wait about a week then go back and read it again to figure out what you’re talking about. It finally came to me and I am not sure what that would officially be called. Maybe it is harassment of wild life.

I did not get it at first thinking that sometimes fish will get agitated and strike. I was not sure if you where saying that agitating a strike would be considered snagging. Makes sense to me now.

No we are talking about snagging them in the mouth so to speak but still snagging. I'm sure there are some people out there that do something that might look like they are snagging but in fact you can get a strike out of a fish this way. At least I think you would be able to dangle something in my face like that I would strike:lol:. But for the most part I think most of them are snagging in the mouth or as some of them might call it force feeding them.

STURGEON FEAR said:
plain and simple its snagging no way around it that just tells me those who do it are not good enough fishermen or women to be able catch fish by skill just like anybody that shoots a deer or an elk after dark its ethics some have them some dont

Very true and thats how I was prety much seeing but was told by someone that I know for a fact does not do it this way that is legal so I was wanting to know. I have looked and read the regs and can find anywhere where this is ilegal. Say as long as the hook is set in the mouth on the first hookset then it is a legal catch and thats the closest they get to talking about it. Snagging is intentional hooking of a fish any where besides the mouth. This is why I'm asking because thats all they say to this.

P
pdx89
bigdog - congrats on your 1000 post mile mark, figure thats gotta count for something, congrats!
and yea we should try to do your part of whats right. my greatest fear is that we, as anglers, might turn into people who bike around. they judge car owners on pollution, and not giving the cyclist a break, yet they run more red light and stop signs then all car drivers in oregon. :think:
just a thought

B
bigdog
pdx89 said:
bigdog - congrats on your 1000 post mile mark, figure thats gotta count for something, congrats!
and yea we should try to do your part of whats right. my greatest fear is that we, as anglers, might turn into people who bike around. they judge car owners on pollution, and not giving the cyclist a break, yet they run more red light and stop signs then all car drivers in oregon. :think:
just a thought

:lol: Yeah I know what you mean about the bike riders want all the rights as cars but yet want to do what they want when they want.

I didn't even know I hit the 1000 post mark. Might be at 3000 or more if I wouldn't have got so lost in my OFF road group for so long. Everyone knew the coho would bring me back though :lol:

C
catphish
Id call it snagging

Id call it snagging

unethical for sure . There are some people on this site, that shall remain nameless, who do this "all the time", according to them "yes straight from their mouth." People you all worship and kiss butt to a degree at one time or another. Just notice how few people post to this thread and wonder why nobody has a comment. This very fishing method is why I and a few others stopped fishing with certain people. I dont agree with this method, I have seen it in action. I also understand that the fish n game has bigger fish to fry, but if they are not going to stop this method, it will continue to happen. Just carry some 2oz weight, and when you see it happen, start having bad casts. :clap: I can sacrifice 2oz for one less snagger.

Y
youngbuck307
catphish said:
unethical for sure . There are some people on this site, that shall remain nameless, who do this "all the time", according to them "yes straight from their mouth." People you all worship and kiss butt to a degree at one time or another. Just notice how few people post to this thread and wonder why nobody has a comment. This very fishing method is why I and a few others stopped fishing with certain people. I dont agree with this method, I have seen it in action. I also understand that the fish n game has bigger fish to fry, but if they are not going to stop this method, it will continue to happen. Just carry some 2oz weight, and when you see it happen, start having bad casts. :clap: I can sacrifice 2oz for one less snagger.

lol why does every one want to take **** into there own hands i dont get it..... do people not realise in this day people get shot over more stupid **** then this??? the other day at EC there was a guy putting his SKS in his trunk befor he went down to the snag hole under the bridge... why dont you toss a few 2oz weights at that guy lol I just dont think my safty or me going to jail is worth a HO to me... Me and alex almost got into it with a guy at CC the other day and alex told him if he wanted to fight then lets go and dude put his had on his knife.... all i know is i might not like what other people are doing but i know evan if i was doing something wrong you better not toss a weight at my me or i would kick your ass!!! so in other words if you guys really plan on taking **** in your own hands make sure your ready for what the other guys is going to do..... dont want to see my off members floating down the river some day!!!!

Last edited:
F
fishtales
When I lived I alaska my AK sat next to the couch and all my friends had one. Down here it is alittle different and there are not russian close by.

I'v seen guys actually hide assault weponds under their hood and in their trunk. I would rather have it there then by me in the front seat where I would be tempted to use it lol. Not really but there are some people who do do some pretty stupid stuff I'm sure.

Last edited:
B
bigdog
youngbuck307 said:
lol why does every one want to take **** into there own hands i dont get it..... do people not realise in this day people get shot over more stupid **** then this??? the other day at EC there was a guy putting his SKS in his trunk befor he went down to the snag hole under the bridge... why dont you toss a few 2oz weights at that guy lol I just dont think my safty or me going to jail is worth a HO to me... Me and alex almost got into it with a guy at CC the other day and alex told him if he wanted to fight then lets go and dude put his had on his knife.... all i know is i might not like what other people are doing but i know evan if i was doing something wrong you better not toss a weight at my me or i would kick your ass!!! so in other words if you guys really plan on taking **** in your own hands make sure your ready for what the other guys is going to do..... dont want to see my off members floating down the river some day!!!!

Yeah we have had this topic a few times on this forum about people carring guns and what not and getting in to fights out on the water over a fish. It's so not worth it. Like you said no fish is worth our safe being. The last time the gun topic came about on here it turned more in to a my gun is bigger then yours contest. I still feel the same way about that people shouldn't feel the need to carry while out fishing at least not with the thought of using it on another human, now on a bear or bobcat thats a diferent story.

F
FishKiller23
All I know is there is some crazy people out there. IMHO u never know what the guy next to you is capable of doing!!!

F
fishtales
As strange as it may sound to you if you have only fished in Oregon guns are one thing you get use to while fishing in Alaska. During the salmon run on a popular river a lot of guide services hire armed men with shotguns or large side arms to sit around and keep there customer’s safe from bears.

Not being from Alaska but fishing for the first time in Alaska was quite a culture shock to say the least. I guess what I learned most from this experience is how Alaska is really tight nit community and to look after your neighbors.

That being said I love to be back in Oregon fishing!

B
bigdog
FishKiller23 said:
All I know is there is some crazy people out there. IMHO u never know what the guy next to you is capable of doing!!!

That is more then true thats why I try to keep to myself out there or at least keep to the people I'm out there with.

B
bigdog
fishtales said:
As strange as it may sound to you if you have only fished in Oregon guns are one thing you get use to while fishing in Alaska. During the salmon run on a popular river a lot of guide services hire armed men with shotguns or large side arms to sit around and keep there customer’s safe from bears.

Not being from Alaska but fishing for the first time in Alaska was quite a culture shock to say the least. I guess what I learned most from this experience is how Alaska is really tight nit community and to look after your neighbors.

That being said I love to be back in Oregon fishing!

See now that I can understand having a gun with you for, it's just that to many times people that carry like to use them or threaten with them on humans.

I so want to be able to go to AK and fish, I have heard it is one of the best fishing trips a person can ever take.

P
pdx89
been to Alaska twice:D
if your a fisherman you should go to alaska at all means...

there is a lot of crazy people out there... yall can do what ever you want, talk to them ,educate them, play cop... im gonna fish in the corner and go home(hopefully with fish) i had my fair share of worring and bullets flying. if yall know what i mean..