Old tying materials?

H
halibuthitman
A good friend of mines grandfather went to live with the angels last year, and today they gifted me his lifetime collection of tying materials. vises hackle pliers snips hemostats and all the possibles that go with it..... and literally thousands of dollars in hooks, hackle, dubbing.... books and about 400 tied flies. so, do you think 35 yr old thread and hackle is still good? they are quite pliable still, I don't really need any of it, would it be in poor taste to give it to a newbie who could really use it? i just have too much materials already... well exept the hooks, and sweet antique vises i could always use them. thanks

B
bigsteel
i got started by my fathers old feathers and hooks,,,if i dont realy need it then i would give it to someone who will put it to good use.....i kept his vise and hand tools along with the golden pheasant head.....

G
Growbug
If it were me, I would check the hooks and if they are ok, try the flys in water.
If the wets sink and the drys float, I would definitely try them out. Think of how you would feel when you pull in your first trout on a fly that your Grandad tied 50+ years ago!!
I would real like to see a pic of you and that moment on here.

My grandad didn't fly fish, but my dad did, and i am looking forward to next time he visits as he is bringing over the same flys in the same old cigar box that i remember him using when i was with him 30 years back.. and those are shop bought!

--------
edit.

Oh, and I for one don't think that it would be bad taste to donate equipment and supplies to someone starting out. They get some free supplies, and you know that the stuff is getting put to good use. What better things to practice. Even the bad attempts will have 'history' and 'character'.

Last edited:
Reactions: OnTheFly
M
Markcanby
I would love to buy some of the tools from you. I have wanted to start tying but can't afford what I know is good an don't want to waste money on stuff that is going to turn out to be junk. In my reloading I learned if you get tools from a old timer then its the kind of stuff you need not just junk you think you need.:lol:

H
halibuthitman
Markcanby said:
I would love to buy some of the tools from you. I have wanted to start tying but can't afford what I know is good an don't want to waste money on stuff that is going to turn out to be junk. In my reloading I learned if you get tools from a old timer then its the kind of stuff you need not just junk you think you need.:lol:

I don't suppose you happen to reload 300 H.H mag or 45/70? a trade could be in order.:)

R
redhawk50
I would say as long as all the hackles etc. stayed dry and aren't moldy or infested they should work just fine. It sounds like with that much gear invested he would have taken great care of all his stuff so it should be usable. You can always look into donating it to a school or something. I know I have been tempted to do an elective fly tying class with my middle school students but the initial set up would be up there so I haven't gotten it going yet. Also there was that post a while back about Vets doing fly tying and fishing to help them with the post traumatic stress stuff so you could look into that as well.

M
Markcanby
halibuthitman said:
I don't suppose you happen to reload 300 H.H mag or 45/70? a trade could be in order.:)

300 no but I do some 45/70 what you shoot I have cowboy bullets already made up. they are kinda light I shoot them out of my trapdoor.

H
halibuthitman
the 45/70's are a Ruger no.1 and a marlin stainless guide gun... the ammo doesn't have to be that hot though... just the bang and the flash from the ported barrel and the stainless is enough to stop a black rhino! more in need of the holland and holland ammo, its getting tougher to find every year.

M
Markcanby
I do have half a dozen dies so if any of you guys are having a hard time getting ammo give me a shout. Some of stuff is hard to get your hands on due to the increased amount of ammo the military is using not because of Obama. Sorry it kinda makes me mad when people blame the guy for that one.