Wilson River 10/28/09

B
beaverfan
Troutmasta and I were thinking of hitting up the Wilson on Wednesday. Anyone been out there recently? Water might be a little muddy but I'm hoping it's not too bad. Probably try up high a little for some summer Steelhead and move down lower and try to catch a Coho or a fall Nook. It's been a while since I've fished the Wilson, but now that falls here in force it's time for me to go back.

C
chris61182
I fished the Wilson this last Saturday, I was neither high or now on the river, roughly 1.5 miles below the foot bridge. The searun cutts were around and willing to bite, albeit not as aggressively as I'm accustom to. There were large salmon, what looked like chinook, making their way up stream slowly and one by one. Most of them weren't interested in biting, but I still got one to commit to biting a spinner and had a heck of a battle before the hook pulled free.

So the fish are there, it's up to us to catch them :dance:.

G
GDBrown
Today's rain will start the Chinook coming in hot a heavy now. Watch the river level and try to be there on the falling river level. If it is close to 4 feet the river is most fishable and the bite will be good. I'll be heading that way this week if I get a day off.

GD

J
JSpencer
Heading there in the morning actually. Planning on starting at Dougherty (sp?) Slough. Buddy of mine went there with his friend while me and another buddy went to the Sandy yesterday, we got skunked, they had their limit of Nook by 9am and were back in bed by 11am lol.

Only problem is i can't get there as early as i want to, the fiance has to work and im her only ride, so i can't leave Beaverton until 5:30ish, means i'll be there around 7:30ish.

J
JSpencer
Unfortunately my budget is shot until the 10th. I have gas money to go today but its my last fishing trip for a bit. Im not too worried though, my buddies friends were catching them on dark corkies, no bait. Got my fingers crossed that today will be my day.

B
beaverfan
JSpencer said:
Unfortunately my budget is shot until the 10th. I have gas money to go today but its my last fishing trip for a bit. Im not too worried though, my buddies friends were catching them on dark corkies, no bait. Got my fingers crossed that today will be my day.

Hey you ever need another fishing buddy I'm in Beaverton and am more than happy to split expenses. I'm open to fish pretty much seven day's a week so let me know if you want to hit it.

J
JSpencer
Well, today wasn't my day. Saw a whole lot splashing and whatnot at the guide shop hole though.

Beaverfan: Im up for some fishing, after the 10th anyways. Got bills to pay in the mean time. Let me see how much i have left after i get done paying for necessities today and i'll toss you a PM.

Edit: Oh yeah, the river level is way up from the last time i was there and its moving fast.

Last edited:
T
troutmasta
Hit the wilson yesterday. Hooked 2 Nooks lost em' both Hooked 4 coho Landed 1 lost 1. Great day on the water no rain. Caught every thing on spinners running deep. Sorry youngbuck I owe you big.

B
beaverfan
Ya it was a good time, we hooked into a bunch of fish and had great weather. The water was just about perfect color and once we found were the fish were it was pretty quick action. I also caught a fish that was one inch tops. Where's the pic of that huh? My arms are freakin' killing me almost as much as my back is! Fighting Salmon on a 5wt fly rod is no bueno if you have a bad back. I'm getting a proper stick tomorrow so next time we go I'll be a little better prepared.

T
troutmasta
beaverfan said:
Ya it was a good time, we hooked into a bunch of fish and had great weather. The water was just about perfect color and once we found were the fish were it was pretty quick action. I also caught a fish that was one inch tops. Where's the pic of that huh? My arms are freakin' killing me almost as much as my back is! Fighting Salmon on a 5wt fly rod is no bueno if you have a bad back. I'm getting a proper stick tomorrow so next time we go I'll be a little better prepared.

The one Beaverfan landed

Last edited by a moderator:
C
Chrome_Chaser
troutmasta said:
Hit the wilson yesterday. Hooked 2 Nooks lost em' both Hooked 4 coho Landed 1 lost 1. Great day on the water no rain. Caught every thing on spinners running deep. Sorry youngbuck I owe you big.

Good looking fish TM. Sounds like you had a great day. Congratulations! :clap::clap::clap:

M
Marvin's Guide Service
Hey I have been fishing tillamook bay the last few days, and fishing has picked up.
so that might help the Wilson
good luck.
getting ready to hit Tillamook bay now.

N
ninja2010
sounds like the wilson might be a good river to try out tomorrow. any advice on how high/low i should go? i'm not too familiar with that river, only been there once.

oh, if anyone wants to come along, i'm open for a fishing buddy tomorrow...

G
GDBrown
Wilson on Saturday Morning.

Wilson on Saturday Morning.

ninja2010 said:
sounds like the wilson might be a good river to try out tomorrow. any advice on how high/low i should go? i'm not too familiar with that river, only been there once.

oh, if anyone wants to come along, i'm open for a fishing buddy tomorrow...

I'm planning on spending the early morning at the Mills bridge area and working my way upstream..

I'm easy to recognize. I have a target on the back of my vest!!!:lol::lol:

There's usually a skunk following me around when up in the valley but it gets lost on the way to the coast. By the time I get to Tillamook I can't smell it any more. Too Many COWS down there.:lol:

Hope to see you there.

GD

N
ninja2010
i'll keep an eye out for your target, gd... :lol:

where's this mills thingamajig?

G
GDBrown
Mills Bridge

Mills Bridge

ninja2010 said:
where's this mills thingamajig?

Where the Guide Shop Burned down a few years ago. Just as you exit the canyon you cross a bridge, that Mills Bridge. The fishing is on the right and there is a drift boat launch there. I think the county is charging a $3 day use fee now? I'm not sure if that is for everyone or just the boat launchers. Hope to see you there.

GD

F
Fishydog
BigDog and I will be out there tomorrow morning, we'll look for you guys. The river hasn't started dropping yet but I think by morning it will. We can always run over to Trask :cool:

F
fisch
Me & CChinook just came back from there. Lower Wilson blown out. Kilches Blown out. Hospital hole on Trask - missed one on spinner and missed nice bobber down. Stopped at few places on upper Wilson. Heared about 1 6lb chinook caught near Elk Creek Campground. That's all. Next week should be better when the water is fishable.

F
Fishydog
Is there a hatchery on the Wilson? Where are these fish headed for? :think:

C
chris61182
Fishydog said:
Is there a hatchery on the Wilson? Where are these fish headed for? :think:

The fish are raised at the Trask hatchery and then shipped over to the Wilson. From there they are held in acclimation pools on the south fork near the prison before release.

I also vaguely recall that they do straight up releases with no acclimation lower on the river, but I don't remember much details on that and I'm too lazy to dig up the hatchery info to find out right now.