Too Much Rain, Heavy Boat! Suggestions?

S
scullidaho
Does anyone know of a good stand that i can use to keep my boat outdoors and keep it drained? I just cracked my second jack wheel in a year and at twenty bucks a wheel this is getting to be ridiculous. I have a 16 ft Lund on a single axle trailer. Is it me or do the jacks never get the trailer high enough to get all the water out of the boat? Suggestions?

O
osmosis
jack it up all the way and put a 4x4 or something similar under the frame/tongue of the trailer, anything strong that is tall enough so that you can unwind the jack works. then put a cinder block or something similar under the jack to make it keep your boat at a high enough angle to drain all of that water out of there.
In the winter that water will freeze and water expands as it freezes and many many many boat hulls have been cracked and destroyed because of this.

Chromatose
Chromatose
Extend your boat trailer jack to it`s total extension. Then take a floor jack and jack the tongue up even further as so you can place a cinder block under the wheel. I use a cinder block because they have holes in them to rest the wheel in.
Good Luck!!!

Troutski
Troutski
Breathable...

Breathable...

scullidaho said:
Does anyone know of a good stand that i can use to keep my boat outdoors and keep it drained? I just cracked my second jack wheel in a year and at twenty bucks a wheel this is getting to be ridiculous. I have a 16 ft Lund on a single axle trailer. Is it me or do the jacks never get the trailer high enough to get all the water out of the boat? Suggestions?

I had the same problem with my 15 footer, I tried doing the same as stated above; even tried a standard saw horse - which worked rather well. Finely I bought a totally water proof and breathable mooring cover. I haven't had the problem since. Just my way of dealing with the problem and getting a great cover for towing the boat thrown in.
I must admit I do keep it in the garage now, but that is another story. Good luck to you....

Chuck

J
joeyota
I bought one of those metal building to park my boats under they dry out a lot better when they don't get wet. You can get a small one and they seem to be fairly cheap. Mine is 26ft x 18ft plenty big enough and does a great job. I have had it for a year and a half now and it is holding up great! Mine was just under $1500 when I got it and they come installed!

They also have ratings on those jacks and wheels. Don't be afraid to get a heavy duty one.

Good luck Joe

S
shawnmann
Boat Stand

Boat Stand

scullidaho,

Maybe you should look into this company Tungbar Boat Drain Stands, my buddy just got one at a Ducks Unlimited Dinner a couple weeks ago. I just bought one for my 17 ft. Jon Boat last week and I like it so much I actually retired my old piece of 6 x 6. The cool thing is it has a channel design with a locking tab so when you lower the boat the trailer is rock solid stable. It sits a lot higher than my 21" trailer jack, I measured it out and it's 9 inches longer and it definitely drains the boat out. Anyways it really is a cool little deal you outta check out. I believe the company is located in your home state out of Boise.

Troutski, I've done em all. Milk crates, blocks, stumps, archery targets, even an old TV. I agree sawhorses work pretty well but I keep my rig on the side of the house and getting that sawhorse in and out became a real drag.

Good Luck Shawn

F
FishTastic
I know what to do, had this problem too. I built a small concrete form 12"x12"x10"deep. fill to the top with good strong quick set crete. smooth the top and bull nose the top edges if you want it to look good. once you smooth out the top, press a tennis ball or old bowl 1/2" to 1" (depending on jack wheel size) in to the concrete, this will create a cup the will not allow the boat to roll away when you are not home. once the crete had fully cured take it out of the form and place it where you keep your boat. Set the jack wheel in the cup and crank until it is how it needs to be to drain properly.

If you want to get really carried away like me, rent a concrete saw and cut a square the size of your block (not form) out of your driveway, when your block is finished setting you will have a hole in your driveway to put the block in.