Upstream swimming speed steelhead/salmon?

J
JHawk
How many miles do salmon and steelhead cover in an hour once they enter a river during their migration upstream?

S
steelheader19
JHawk said:
How many miles do salmon and steelhead cover in an hour once they enter a river during their migration upstream?

A lot!!!!!!! :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

J
JHawk
steelheader19 said:
A lot!!!!!!! :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Wiseguy...:D

E
eugene1
It varies based on the river and obstacles like rapids, waterfalls, so on. But, up to 20 miles per day on an "easy" river.

Best,

J
joem
they dont get very far on the ground.

18406ej
18406ej
JHawk,

Is that title better for you? I know what smart-*sses Joem and Steelheader19 can be if everything isn't perfect.

That is why I just banned them for life.

Your pal,

Eamon

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
18406ej said:
JHawk,

Is that title better for you? I know what smart-*sses Joem and Steelheader19 can be if everything isn't perfect.

That is why I just banned them for life.

Your pal,

Eamon

I was just happy that JHawk didn't ask about the Airspeed of an unladen salmon, which would have forced me to ask whether it was for an African or European salmon...

18406ej
18406ej
rogerdodger said:
I was just happy that JHawk didn't ask about the Airspeed of an unladen salmon, which would have forced me to ask whether it was for an African or European salmon...

Are you suggesting that African Salmon are migratory?

King Authur: Be quiet! I order you to be quiet!
Woman: Order, eh? Who does he think he is? Heh.
Arthur: I am your king!
Woman: Well, I didn't vote for you.
Arthur: You don't vote for kings.
Woman: Well, how did you become King, then?
Arthur: The Lady of the Lake,... [angels sing] ...her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water signifying by Divine Providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. [singing stops] That is why I am your king!
Dennis: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
Arthur: Be quiet!
Dennis: Well, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!
Arthur: Shut up!
Dennis: I mean, if I went 'round saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!
Arthur: Shut up, will you? Shut up!
Dennis: Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system.
Dennis: Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help! Help! I'm being repressed!
Arthur: Bloody peasant!
Dennis: Oh, what a give-away. Did you hear that? Did you hear that, eh? That's what I'm on about. Did you see him repressing me? You saw it, didn't you?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
18406ej said:
Are you suggesting that African Salmon are migratory?

King Authur: Be quiet! I order you to be quiet!
Woman: Order, eh? Who does he think he is? Heh.
Arthur: I am your king!
Woman: Well, I didn't vote for you.
Arthur: You don't vote for kings.
Woman: Well, how did you become King, then?
Arthur: The Lady of the Lake,... [angels sing] ...her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water signifying by Divine Providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. [singing stops] That is why I am your king!
Dennis: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
Arthur: Be quiet!
Dennis: Well, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!
Dennis: I mean, if I went 'round saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!
Arthur: Shut up, will you? Shut up!
Dennis: Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system.
Dennis: Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help! Help! I'm being repressed!
Arthur: Bloody peasant!
Dennis: Oh, what a give-away. Did you hear that? Did you hear that, eh? That's what I'm on about. Did you see him repressing me? You saw it, didn't you?

I am laughing so hard it is difficult to type, I am not sure about swords flying out of ponds recently but I think we are all hoping that Jeanna's rod/reel get launched from the water (by a magical creature of her choosing) so it gets back to her...and I am glad that Eugene1 provided an actual reply to this thread...allowing us to get silly with it...

J
JHawk
I'm glad I was able to give y'all a little levity t'day. :)

On a more serious note, is it true that they travel more at night than daytime, or does it make much difference?

Irishrover
Irishrover
Jhawk....salmon spend a great part of their life trying to avoid predators. Swimming at night is one of the method they use to avoid becoming a meal. Sometimes they will hold in deep pools during the day to avoid predators.

H
halibuthitman
Irishrover said:
Jhawk....salmon spend a great part of their life trying to avoid predators. Swimming at night is one of the method they use to avoid becoming a meal. Sometimes they will hold in deep pools during the day to avoid predators.

Judging by the scene I witnessed today at Lorens Drift, ( ever seen Zulu? ) this might not be the best way to avoid predators!

18406ej
18406ej
Thanks JHawk!

To show my appreciation I did some Google work for you, which revealed that because salmon/steelhead eyes can't dilate they tend to hold (the fish I mean, not the eyes) (well, I guess I should clarify that while yes, the eyes DO hold, it is only because they are attached to the fish, which as I already mentioned, are holding as well), in as deep, dark and protected an area they can find. Once there they group up and talk non-stop for hours, but with their lack of brains and memory both the stories of "the good old days" and the one about how Stuie head-butted the boulder ten minutes ago are actually one and the same. This is because in about 8 minutes they will forget which one of them IS Stuie, four minutes more and the tale will be vaguely remembered as one from "the good old days" and about 20 seconds later they forget they are supposed to be talking non-stop, and won't do anymore talking until that time when a leaf fell from above and startled ol' Stuie so bad that he cleared the water. Idiots.

What was I saying again? Oh, swimming in the dark.

Yes these idiot fish DO swim at night, as confirmed by a few of the fishing sites up in British Columbia. Being Canuks, these stories start out being written with great detail about steelhead/salmon physiology, how they feed at night and where they swim in relation to the bank in times of darkness. But when these Maple Mounties start to get bored, which is pretty quick, details like whether fish swim farther during the night or day don't seem so relevant and besides, the board administrator "Beeg LaFronite" isn't exactly going to haul himself out of his chair before the monitor just to go jog with fish and measure their pace, now is he? Wait, he is hauling himself out of his chair! He is up and he is headed to....the kitchen, darn it. Looks like he is getting down a big can of pancakes packed in syrup for a mid-thread break. Seems that the other Canuk fishing post members are having the same hankering, as we are now seeing nothing but a number of sticky keyboards and monitors with empty chairs before them. Crazy Canadian Bastards!

No further info found on steelhead/salmon swimming distance at night.

Eamon

B
bigboy70
halibuthitman said:
Judging by the scene I witnessed today at Lorens Drift, ( ever seen Zulu? ) this might not be the best way to avoid predators!

how was laurens i was there last saturday they were nailing them on bobbers nothing for the two lonely drift "fisherpersons" lol

H
halibuthitman
bigboy70 said:
how was laurens i was there last saturday they were nailing them on bobbers nothing for the two lonely drift "fisherpersons" lol

rivers up nicely but a lot of debris floating down... should clear up a bit by this weekend... got to get these leaves down river-

Irishrover
Irishrover
halibuthitman said:

Rorkes Drift 1879, there was no hole deep enough to hide but they did have Martini Henry rifles. Salmon do try to avoid predator it's just that they are not always successfull.

H
halibuthitman
Irishrover said:
they did have Martini Henry rifles..
too bad.. because what they needed was Thompson Sub Machine Guns...:yikes:

B
bigboy70
halibuthitman said:
rivers up nicely but a lot of debris floating down... should clear up a bit by this weekend... got to get these leaves down river-

yea i dont think i ever caught as many leaf fish as i did the last trip lol

P
plumb2fish
You know its a fresh fish when they head upstream at mach10 with a hook in their choppers....

S
steelheader19
Tides affect there travel a lot... As soon as tide changes then boom the fish start moving or rolling