What set up to use??

W
waco
So im heading all the rest of this week on the lower clackamas first time trying to get some coho!!! but dont know what set up should i use? do i use the same main line that i used for springers? should i use eggs or spiners? any advice would be really appreciate it!!! thank you in advance and sorry im still a rokie!!

P
pdxjon
I may head out in the morning and try some spinners. It's new to me also but I heard it's a decent option. I would think 15# main would be plenty but someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

W
waco
i have 12# in mine pole!!! it is too small?

T
troutmasta
no thats not to small. I like to use light line for coho. Sometimes 10 or 8 pound leader. It can take a little while longer to bring em in but I tell myself I get more strikes that way.

Last edited:
P
pdxjon
I thought about going with 12# but I heard we get mostly nates and I didn't want to tire them out any more than I had to. Like I said it's new to me also but I'm sure someone who knows more will come along.

W
waco
troutmasta said:
no thats not to small. I like to use light line for coho. Sometimes 10 or 8 pound leader. It can take a little while longer to bring em in but I tell myself I get more strikes that way.
thats what i was thinking of using 8# leader!!

T
troutmasta
waco said:
thats what i was thinking of using 8# leader!!

I use like a 12 or 15 pound braid with a 10 pnd leader when bobber fishing for coho. When Im free drifting or using spinners its usually P-line Xstrong 8 or 10. Ive fishned next to people using 15 and 20 and braid all the way down to the hook and Ive had much better luck many times.

W
waco
troutmasta said:
I use like a 12 or 15 pound braid with a 10 pnd leader when bobber fishing for coho. When Im free drifting or using spinners its usually P-line Xstrong 8 or 10. Ive fishned next to people using 15 and 20 and braid all the way down to the hook and Ive had much better luck many times.
thanks for the tip!!!

G
GMR
I thow my spinners on 10lb

W
waco
What is the favorite spiner color for coho? pink?

F
fishingfreak
I am running 12lb main and either 10 or 8lb leader. Bobber rod is 30lb braided with 12, 10, 8lb leader. I also have an extra reel in my bag with 10lb main and 8 or 6lb leader if they get really spooked. I would run spinners down low. I caught most of my Fall Nooks on Dead Hook Tackles 1st 3 spinner colors and the Blue one on their web page. I am running the same ones for Coho down low. I would use this as a color pallet.

FF

F
fishingfreak
But keep in mind I am a rookie too. So i am interested what the other people more experienced are going to use also.

FF

T
tnffishman
I usually run 12 or 15 pound mainline with 10 pound leader. I like to run peach or green yarn with red or orange beads on my baitcast in the Clack or even Eagle Creek. I fish my fly rod as soon as they get to Eagle Fern park and run the same yarn, but really kill them on dark colored flies and nymphs

T
troutmasta
waco said:
What is the favorite spiner color for coho? pink?

Ive honestly had the best luck with a copper/brass blue fox.

W
waco
i have hear green and pink is great for coho!!

C
Coho Kid
A lot of this depends on the water level, clarity, how hot the fish are and of course the structure you're fishing. I'll fish the heaviest line I can get away with in the water clarity. My main line for Springers, Steelhead and Coho is 12lb on my medium action spinning rod. I'll run 12 - 20 lb leader for Springers, 6 - 12lb for Steelhead and 6 - 12lb for Coho. Right now on the Clackamas the water clarity is great because it's just slightly dirty. The Coho coming into the lower river are often very hot on the first couple runs but tire quickly. Running 8 or 10lb maxima ultragreen is great on my spinning set up. These fish are lock jawed for the most part at this time. Running spinners can produce an instinctive bite from a fresh coho in the lower river, but mostly what I'm seeing at this time is snagging not catching. #3 - #4 blue fox in a flashy color if it's sunny, or a paint if it's cloudy should do the trick. If the water get's more off color than it is now I wouldn't use a flashy lure, and I might be inclined to bump it up to 12lb to make things easier on myself and the fish. If it was me I might just decide to plunk a slightly bigger rod with heavier mono due to the lack of biters and dispersed population of fish in the river at this time.

W
waco
what color of corkie & yarn produce more for ya??

kirkster
kirkster
What works great for me and is my goto color is black yarn and black corkie. Sounds crazy I know but even the first hour of legal when its pitch dark. Its dynamite for me. Another opinion of mine as for coho. Sandy river is in my opinion is the coho capitol. I'm sure a lot will argue the fact.but like I said its my opinion. I believe when the coho enter the clack there like a freight train to there destination. To where the sandy river the coho,once again in my opinion hold up which means its easier to catch a coho that's holding in a hole rather than trying to catch one that on the move. Good luck.

D
dan88
corky and yarn is what i landed mines with