Clear Lake advice?

M
Matt G
I'm heading up to Clear Lake (McKenzie) later this month. I've been there before but never fished it. Trying to borrow a buddy's pontoon boat - assuming I get it, what's the best bet (tackle, location, technique) for this novice? I'll be there mid - late August.,

Thanks!

Last edited:
H
Hooked on fishin'
Matt G said:
I'm heading up to Clear Lake (McKenzie) later this month. I've been there before but never fished it. Trying to borrow a buddy's pontoon boat - assuming I get it, what's the best bet (tackle, location, technique) for this novice? I'll be there mid - late August.,

Thanks!

i was just there, and they have boat rentals. so if you don't get your buddies you can rent one. As for fishing it, I did not, but the water is so clear i imagine you can see the fish. the bottom gives it a bluish color so it would seem to be easy to just look for the fish. Thats what I intend to do next time I go up there. You can also fish Carmen res., Smith res. and Trailbridge, they are only about 6 - 10 miles away.

C
Commodore S
Matt G said:

Thanks!

Matt
Are you camping at cold water cove? Try dragging a night crawler real slow north to south about 150-200' off of the ramp. On the north end there's a stream that comes in. Anchor on either side and cast out so your worm drops down into the lake. Use 4' of 4# leader water is very clear. Host can also give tips. Good Luck!!

M
Matt G
Hooked on fishin' said:
i was just there, and they have boat rentals. so if you don't get your buddies you can rent one. As for fishing it, I did not, but the water is so clear i imagine you can see the fish. the bottom gives it a bluish color so it would seem to be easy to just look for the fish. Thats what I intend to do next time I go up there. You can also fish Carmen res., Smith res. and Trailbridge, they are only about 6 - 10 miles away.

Hooked, thanks. I know about the boat rentals and I'll do that as a last resort. Don't want to spend extra money but... must... FISH........:doh:

I saw your thread on Carmen, and I'll keep that in mind.

M
Matt G
Commodore S said:
Matt
Are you camping at cold water cove? Try dragging a night crawler real slow north to south about 150-200' off of the ramp. On the north end there's a stream that comes in. Anchor on either side and cast out so your worm drops down into the lake. Use 4' of 4# leader water is very clear. Host can also give tips. Good Luck!!

Yes I will be camping at Cold Water. What depth is your night crawler suggestion aimed at? Bottom bouncing? Variable depths? Trolling shallow? Just look down and see where the fish are? (The clarity of that lake is simply unbelievable!)

Also, I know the stream you're referring to from hiking around the lake last year. I presume the best bet would be to cast into the "flow" of that stream as it empties out into the lake, correct? Fishies waiting for food to wash into the lake from upstream, perhaps? You seem to favor worms - I'll have to find some freshies on the way up the highway.

Excellent advice, which even I can follow. Thanks!

R
Redfox458
So I am planning a camping trip to Clear Lake the 28th-31st with some friends. A good friend of mine told me I should check the water levels before I go. Has anybody been up there recently? Is the boat ramp accessible?