Cutting a 6'6" rod down to 4'6"????

X
xltom
Sounds cool TT, You got lucky that the ferrules were interchangable. Those Ugly Stix really have a soft tip. Seems like there's no sensitivity..That's why I never bought one...I guess if you want something that's tailor made for your tastes...you have to improvise sometimes...with my new rod I'll be able to throw all my bass lures. Max lure weight is 3/8 as opposed to 3/16...

Last edited:
T
TTFishon
I'm actually surprised that the top half hasn't split yet. I never sanded it or did anything besides wrap some electrical tape around where the pole broke. I forgot to say that in my last post. The steelhead rod broke when I was trying to un snag my lure from some blackberry bushes. I'm looking forward to hearing your results of your new pole.

X
xltom
AHHH...I was wondering about that....I was thinking it must have been a really short steelhead rod:)...I guess it broke in the perfect spot...if you sand it, it won't fit in the ferrule anymore........

T
Thuggin4Life
Tom I may have you make me a custom rod soon. Let me see it when you get it done. Scott has the same rod only stock.

X
xltom
Thuggin4Life said:
Tom I may have you make me a custom rod soon. Let me see it when you get it done. Scott has the same rod only stock.

I fished this same rod in a 5'6" stock last weekend...I love it. Last time I was at walmart they still had a 6'6" for $10. With parts it will cost $25 total......I can already tell it's gonna be sick(fingers crossed)....I'll be wanting to show it off when I'm done....I'll bring it by...

(I don't know who Scott is..)

S
stream2.5
im6 is 6 layers of graphite interlaced modulus be very carefull with that cut and make sure that there are zero flaws on the stick... if there is... it wont last...

X
xltom
stream2.5 said:
im6 is 6 layers of graphite interlaced modulus be very carefull with that cut and make sure that there are zero flaws on the stick... if there is... it wont last...

Thanks, the cut went fine. I used a hacksaw..No flaws I can see except where I removed a guide and lightly sanded. The rod was brand new..I'm pretty sure I didn't penetrate past the epoxy. I guess I got lucky...As far as strength is concerned...I guess I'll find out soon enough. I'm only spending $15...anyway.....Don't jinx me DUDE:naughty:...or it'll break while I'm fighting the fish of a lifetime..:pray: Hey, while I'm asking stupid questions...does any one know how they rate line? Is six lb line recommended for fish upto 6lbs or is it tested with a 6lb weight? If so is that dropped or lifted slowly?

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
Scott is my moms boyfriend. I think that green tod is the same on he has showed me a few times in a night more that one night(drunk). WE had to put a new tip on it but think its the same rod. Yeah show me when its done. As for line its rated at breaking point. think that the way to test is take some kind of pressure gauge and pull on a piece of line slowly until it snaps. So like 6 lb line can handle 6 lbs of pressure ect ect ect line diameter plays into it like berkley xt 6lb is thicker than most six lb so it is stronger and not really 6 lb and then there is braid...

Chromatose
Chromatose
xltom said:
The rod is IM6....Anyone know what that means???

here is a complete run down as posted by 2 Rod builders.
The first thing you should know is there is no industry standard for IM6, IM7and IM8. Rather, it’s a “range” that manufacturers use to classify their rods according to the “modulus” content. Modulus is a term that describes the stiffness to weight ratio of the graphite that’s used to create the rod blank. Here’s how it works….when you cast a lure, the rod flexes with the weight of the lure, storing energy as it flexes. When the motion of the rod stops, the rod flexes and releases all of its stored energy to propel the lure. When you increase the modulus of the graphite, you increase the ability of that graphite to store and release energy. You also increase the speed that the rod releases the stored energy. That in turn, increases the lure speed that is generated in the cast. Increase the modulus and you increase the reaction speed and power of the rod blank.

Below is a general example of modulus ratings using G Loomis classes:
GLX - 65 million modulus
IMX - 55 million modulus
GL3 - 47 million modulus (IM8)
GL2 - 42 million modulus (IM7)
IM6 - 38 million modulus
Standard Graphite - 33 million modulus

Unfortunately, increased modulus results in increased costs. The highest modulus graphite material costs as much as ten times more than standard graphite. The drawback with increased modulus is the rod blank tends to be somewhat “brittle” and more likely to break from impact fracture, such as dropping the rod on a hard surface. If you tend be abusive with your gear, it would be wise to back away from the top modulus rods and choose something in the mid range that will offer more durability. Before you purchase a rod, especially the high priced, high modulus, be sure that it is backed by a lifetime warranty.

Graphite is the most common rod material today, and is the lightest and strongest material. However, there are many varieties of graphite, depending on manufacturing quality and process, and thus graphite rods range widely in cost. Graphite rods, especially higher-end models, tend to be thin and a susceptible to breaking if they are chipped, scratched, or cracked. Lower-end graphite rods, these days, are probably almost as durable as fiberglass rods. Most high-end rods have lifetime warranties, partly because they do tend to break more often. Below are some explanations of rod materials:

From Ralph Heidecke: Types of Graphite (IM6 etc) [from Brian Costlow, posted this back in April 1998]

IM6 is a 'Grade' of Magnamite, a graphite product of Hercules Inc. BASF makes a similar product, as well as others. The important thing about IM6, IM7, IM8 ratings for fishing applications is the tensile modulus. Most dept. store rods that are graphite composites are around 30-35 million psi tensile modulus. The IM is a shorthand for that tensile rating. IM6 = 40 million IM7 = 41 million IM8 = 45 million Tensile modulus briefly is: (Courtesy Owens-Corning) "When a bar is pulled in tension, it has to get longer. The tensile modulus is used to calculate how much longer it will get when a certain load is applied to it. Units are normally millions of pounds per square inch. Higher numbers indicate materials which will not elongate as much as others when they are being compared under equal tensile loading conditions." That elongation, or elasticity, is what allows the rod to spring and bend back.

So (grossly oversimpifying) a rod made of IM6 can be built with similar strength and flex characteristics to a rod that uses cheaper material, while making the tube wall thinner, which in theory makes the rod lighter and more sensitive. On the other hand, just because a rod is built using IM6 does not mean it's a great rod. Exactly how the material is laid up in the blank, whether any other material (other graphite composites, fiberglass, aramid and gel-spun polys for instance) the taper, length, all go towards making a good blank. These things also affect the action (fast or slow taper). Then to make a good rod, you have to worry about the seat and handle, and how it's connected, guide material and so on.

troutdude
troutdude
wow

wow

Wow Chromie...you did your homework. We'll give you a gold star for today!:clap:

That's GREAT info. Thank you! I learned a lot.

Tight lines,

TD

P.S. I've been fishing with fiberglass my whole life, and still have some glass Fenwick's and Lamiglas rods that I LOVE to use. They are a bit heavy, but man the action just can't be beat. Plus, I have NEVER broken a glass rod...but, have seen several graphite rods bite the dust.

S
stream2.5
i stand corrected.... i was misinformed!!! thanks chrome... and as for line rating its strech presure befor breaking... on slow pull with a streach gauge.

X
xltom
WOW, I'm impressed.. Now when I'm talking about the minor work I did on this rod, I can act like an expert!!!

X
xltom
parts.jpg

I met the original Glenn Wicks today!!! That place is amazing.. Unfortunately they will be closing down the business sometime after April. That guy has a mind like a steel trap. I explained what I wanted to do only once, and he never had to ask any questions. He cut and sanded my corks for free and only charged me $10(9 actually but I made him take an extra buck). I'm a little bummed that I just found out about this place and it won't be here much longer. It's like heaven for a techie like myself. I'm sure there won't be another place like that ever again...

S
steelhead_stalkers
From what I have been told the IM7 and IM8 is a general term. For instance the IM8 XST rainshadow blanks have a higher modulus number than the Loomis IMX blanks. The rainshadow is somewhere in the 60 million modulus range but it is called a IM8. Kind of confusing.

Thats some great info, thanks.

X
xltom
Tah Dah!!!!!sFun_dancing1.gif

done.jpg

Special Thanks to Chromotose and Glenn Wicks!!! Now all I have to do is suffer through the 24 hrs that it takes for the epoxy to fully cure!!!

Hey chromatose, catch me one of those Lake Erie steelies......

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Huh. I had heard that Glenn had passed on, and his son was running it now.

At any rate, I'd best get my hiney down there. I only found out about them last summer and have never been there. And now they're closing...BUMMER!

Thanks for the tip off. And, my apologies for the discrepancy between being located in Cottage Grove or Creswell. It's been months since I looked up their address. :confused:

T
Thuggin4Life
**** best rods money can get and local. been hearing bout them for years. Always figured i could slowly build up rods from them and have one for everything.****! now i wont ever have a custom geln wicks rod ot the whole aresenal. nice lokkin rod we need to make my ugly smaller.

X
xltom
Now that I've got all the important stuff done, I'll have to fix my radiator leak:shock:

Glenn's on the brink, you can hear him struggling to breathe from 20ft away. It's probably all the dust from sanding corks and also fiberglass(guessing). I heard them talking about a 50% off sale but it seemed like you had to be invited...

Last edited:
X
xltom
Here's another shot from my awesome camera/phone.:(..with a reel and my hand for scale....

scale.jpg

Last edited: