What Rod Is Recommended For Plunking For Steelhead/Salmon?

F
FreshWater
Hi All. This is my first post on the site but I've been lurking and learning since last fall. The search button has helped shorten the learning curve and I just wanted to thank everyone for their informative feedback. I started fishing for coho last fall. Got skunked. Didn't really have a clue what a "drag free drift" meant. Coho season ended and I decided not to target fall chinook. I did target Winter Steelhead though. I was able to attend several fishin clinics given by local guides and staff at tackle shops. Went fishin on the Wilson for the elusive steelhead and on the 5th trip out when it was snowing back in Jan I finally hooked and landed a 8lbs buck! Definitely a moment I will remember for the rest of my life! It always makes me smile just thinking about it! So now I'm hooked on fishin and wondering what most recommend for a plunking rod from the bank for steelhead and salmon. Thanks again

T
Thuggin4Life
FreshWater said:
Hi All. This is my first post on the site but I've been lurking and learning since last fall. The search button has helped shorten the learning curve and I just wanted to thank everyone for their informative feedback. I started fishing for coho last fall. Got skunked. Didn't really have a clue what a "drag free drift" meant. Coho season ended and I decided not to target fall chinook. I did target Winter Steelhead though. I was able to attend several fishin clinics given by local guides and staff at tackle shops. Went fishin on the Wilson for the elusive steelhead and on the 5th trip out when it was snowing back in Jan I finally hooked and landed a 8lbs buck! Definitely a moment I will remember for the rest of my life! It always makes me smile just thinking about it! So now I'm hooked on fishin and wondering what most recommend for a plunking rod from the bank for steelhead and salmon. Thanks again

Well i use a undersized ugly stick rod i bought like an idiot, that i now use as my trout trolling rod, I think it's 7'. But you want a baitcasting 9' rod or bigger like a lamaglass or something but i only have my litle rod and it has worked for me but i feel like an idiot when i show up to a spot with guys who have better rods than me. Oh well i would use a trout rod if that's all i had.

N
nointrntrprts
good rod

good rod

a good rod is gonna be one that has back-bone, I use a couple different - one is a berkley 8.5' heavy action 12-25 and a lami nearly same specs. I cast a 6-8oz pretty smooth - much heavier and it takes some work. A couple guys i know use pretty heavy action rods - depends on currents, how many rigs - running a quik/plug how much weight your casting.

you really dont have to spend all that much to get a decent plunk rig.

good luck

A
ArcticAmoeba
No he's right. I have fought countless Steelhead on a 6 foot, light Bass set-up... Mostly for fun, but you don't need fancy gear to catch fish. Plunk'n rods should be rated anywhere from 12-25's, up to 40-80's depending on what river you drop one of those big pyramid anchor in. And capable of handling upwards of 8 oz. of lead if you plan to hit the Big Rivers.

T
Thuggin4Life
Wow i don't even remember making that previous post. But the rod i use is only 7' medium. The reel is only rated up to 12lb but use 20lb and 4-5oz of weight. I only plunk for winters on the Umpqua and my ideal set up would be a 9' heavy lamiglass 12-25 with a slightly soft tip. Levelwind reel left handed crank. Where are you guys plunking with 8-9oz of weight?

A
ArcticAmoeba
For the Columbia, a lot of guys use much more in some places, but that 9'6" Lamiglas 12-25 lb. rated for 3/4 - 3 oz. is an ideal plunk rig for the Willy, and most decent rivers, like the lower Ump. If you were to dedicate a rod to plunk'n anyways. Not saying you can't use anything. I used to use 6-12 spinning gear for years to plunk worms and eggs on the OP rivers heavy flows.

P
plunkme
the fellas are right it really depends on the water you are plunking.... the willy i would say about 10' should be good probably med casting pole should be enough in the willy you will be plunking with mostly 3-6oz so something that will handle the weight, in the columbia i use a 12' lamiglas med-heavy/ heavy casting pole usually casting about 14oz, i like lamiglas along with all the other people i fish with they have a good back bone and good customer service just incase anything breaks.

L
luv2fish
i usually fish at meldrum when plunking.....and if you gonna use 3-4 oz of weight there, you won't be very popular....since no matter you throw closer, the currrent will drift the weight i.e. if its 3-4 oz.....other thing..aftre all these years of fishing over there....salmon usually when caught comes from quite a distance...so thats other thing i noticed that there travel lane is usually a bit farther then steeles and thus require casting a lil far and requiring 8-12 oz weight depending on the river...
columbia takes 6 oz standard...i've never seen anybody using less than 6 oz at warrendale or bonneville...its just that cuz the columbia's bed structure ...especially if you start getting closer to dam, its filled with big boulders..and thus requires a longer weight line....anyhoo the whole point is that to plunk uniformly at all rivers, a 12 foot ugly stick is the ideal choice, since you can use it for both salmon and steelies....for sturgeon as well..its tough and can take rough abuse of yanking when your snagged in the river...8 out of 10 times ( i've seen this myself ..even with old timers who are doing this since past 30-40 yrs )...shorter rod ends up in less pressure on the fish and most of the time "poof" either the hook comes out or the line gives up...
its not the line or the reel....its the rod which fights the fish.......
you don want to show your finnesse, you want to catch the fish...and you want to make sure that you land the fish without hurting it bad ( in case f its wild)....
above said makes my belief in bigger rod much stronger for plunking...especially for the price ugly stick is unbeatable and othe thing...this is funny.....you can pass that to your forthcoming generations and the forthcoming generation will do it further.......and that ugly stick won't give up.....period:cool:

F
FishSchooler
I use a 8'6" 15-50 medium-heavy AIR IM7. It is rated to cast 3/4-3 oz.
Funny thing, luv2fish, I used 2 oz weight at tanner creek at bonneville and it held fine... And a rock, definetly not 6 oz, from meldrum... :think:

Reactions: kimeun
T
Thuggin4Life
I never plunked anywhere but the umpqua but sounds like you guys go overboard on the weight. 4oz works fine for me even when the river is up and the current is stronger. I bought a 5oz and have yet to use it. Ugly sticks are the only rods i have been buying and there great but i can wait to get my hands on a lamaglass. A bigger rod is ideal for plunking or just fishing for big fish. Every time I hook into one with my 7'er i wish i had a bigger rod.

T
The Nothing
It really depends on where you're fishing. A place like Prescott doesn't require a big stick as the fish run close to shore. you just need to be able to huck 6oz of lead.

That said, I have an 11' Lamiglas Surf King (~$90) and an Abu saltwater spinning reel that I've used on the coast, Columbia and the Willamette and has done well with steelhead, sturgeon, and even pikeminnow. Generally I use 8oz of lead, but have had the need for more on the Sandy River a month ago. The amount of lead all depends on what you're fishing with and what the currents are like. At a place like Prescott, a 6oz pyramid will hold a single #2 spinglow, but not much more than that. If you go with 2-3 spins, then you definitely will need 8oz.

L
luv2fish
FishSchooler said:
I use a 8'6" 15-50 medium-heavy AIR IM7. It is rated to cast 3/4-3 oz.
Funny thing, luv2fish, I used 2 oz weight at tanner creek at bonneville and it held fine... And a rock, definetly not 6 oz, from meldrum... :think:

i know i don't fish tanner creek for nooks.....i fish say 15 feet on upper side of tanner creek mouth or bradford island.....i don't see nobody using 2 oz there...and if they do....i don't claim on my limited knowledge but for sure your gonna get drifted and tangle with other lines...regarding rocks...it all depends on pocket man....i don't mind throwing lead since i'm not very good with rocks....and also i've limited time in hand so if i try to find the right rock to throw in water, chances are probably i';m gonna end up with one when i go home;).....more time in water...more chances of gettin fish....
i've seen people casting less than 6 oz at meldrum but thats when the season just started and people are hoping if not nook then steely will work as well... but when chinook usually start showing in good numbers , water is usually fast and high as well from snow melts and the water dumping from all reservoirs to make room for snowmelts in there..many times i've seen people using 4 ozs and the next thing, they are all over river and i hear yelling and all kind of stuff...you have to pick the right weight at right distance...thats all..and thats what i mean,....

other than that when you have a size 14 or size 15 kwikfish slided or say a half nelson ( which really worked for me this year )...i seriously doubt that a banky rig will hold to the pull of plug or that big spinner...

if your holding with 2 oz fine at tanner or meldrum...by all ways i think its working for you and if i were you i will stick to it....
for me and for the p[eriod of time i've been fishing at both these places...i do the above said and it works for me....

Last edited:
L
luv2fish
:)