Alsea River fishing reports

S
simpsoti
I don't think slow would be a good word to describe the Alsea today. I think DEAD would be more accurate. I talked to one local who often fishes the same hole as I, who said he hooked one in the morning. (He also told me previously it was the best year he had ever had on the Alsea... hmmmm) Aside from that I did not hear of or see a single fish or even a hookup. Pretty much everyone I talked to said not even a bite. (myself included). About 2 guys left at the meat hole by 10. (A definite sign of slow fishing). Wish I would have stayed in bed.

Drizzle/showers for most of the morning until around 10:30 or so. Left shortly after. Stopped by the hatchery, not very many fish in the traps.

S
Steelyfishn
Alsea 1-24-10

Alsea 1-24-10

I see how it works. When the fishing is good nobody posts up LOL. I hit the alsea sunday got there the night before and slept in my van to get my spot. There was another car parked behind me at midnight and 2 other cars parked at meathole. Ridiculous I know. I fished with the regulars of that river and they killed it. There was 8 of them and they all landed atleast 1 fish and hooked several more. I lost 1 and did not touch a fish the rest of the day. They set the bar priddy high but I learned a lot and realized I have so much to learn. Great day of fishing...

S
steelhead_stalkers
I would not judge the fishing on the Alsea to whats happening at the Hatchery. There are always a few fish up there and many times more but that does not mean the fishing is hot on the rest of the river. Its not hard to find fish up at the meat hole but its really not much fun. :)

Good job on the hookup!! ;)

Last edited:
M
Mike123
I'd rather catch one or two fish elsewhere than 4 or 5 at the hatchery area.
It's so nice to get in a drift boat once and awhile down there.

J
JeannaJigs
Word. The mobile bank is where it's at.

T
Teo
So, it was kind of a slow day, or so I thought. I had done ok over the last few days, landing a brat last Wednesday after losing another on the bank, then a native on Sunday, a beautiful fish, but without much fight. Maybe it had already been on a hooked earlier that day. Anyway, off you go. The water was really clear on Sunday and I really didn't have much hope, but I wanted to go fishing and it's not too far away so what the h***.

It rained Sunday and Sunday night, but not as much as expected, and when I got up this morning it was obvious if I wanted some water with a little color this would have to be the day. So I got to the river late and fished my regular float and nightmare jig (thanks Mike123) which was so successful before, but no luck. So I did what I normally do after getting no action for awhile (and getting bored), and start experimenting with other jigs.

So as I'm working this hole over and over again along comes this beautiful pileated woodpecker. An uncommon woodpecker (I hadn't seen one in years) about the size of a large crow with a bright red crown and a long stout beak with which he starts having at the standing dead tree across the river like he had a small chainsaw in his beak, all the while I'm drifting this hole watching my bobber and watching the bird. The bird was winning till I looked back one time and it's like where's my bobber .... Oh S***, SET THE HOOK! And the fight was on. Man, this guys pretty strong, and 5 minutes later, man this guys really strong and I still haven't seen my bobber, and my arm is getting really tired and I'm starting to wonder who will win, my arm or the fish. I finally got him to shore, another native about 26 inches, not all that big for such a fight. I set him free, go make babies. A beautiful fish, made my day. I guess it's burritos again tonight.

Two things, The natives seem to have more fight, and they sure look a lot better. A really beautiful fish, and another day in paradise.

L
lilsalmon
Niiice...good job.

S
steelhead1
fish around in the upper alsea today, we hooked six and landed four,all on jigs!

S
simpsoti
Sweet! Good job. I'll be out there Friday morning on my weekly alsea trip. Hopefully I'll match you success. Maybe the alsea will finally start producing some good numbers

S
steelhead1
went again today,two hookups but nothing landed, exept some beautiful fat cutts (C&R).Saw several fish moving and one jumper,but they were not bitey for us:think: today.

S
simpsoti
How was the weather over there today? It looks like the river is supposed to start climbing for the next day or so, made me think to stay home tomorrow.

S
Steelyfishn
I went for about 2 hours today it rained most the time I was there. Water looked good. Caught a real bright hen. Thanks for the tip Steel. Pink jig worked just fine : ) 4 other guys there and all landed at least 1 different rigs though

S
steelhead1
Been awhile since I gave an update,so here ya go.Fishing was good for steelies over the past couple weeks from salmonberry to clemens.Bunch of fish tagged and plenty released, (on purpose and otherwise:confused:)Jigs,drifting rigs and egg/bobber were the killers. I hear that the hatchery has been producing for the Combat guys,but things have cooled way down since about sunday.I think I will fish elsewhere until the river comes up and gets(hopefully) another flush of fish.:D

J
JeannaJigs
The river is soooo low and clear! Basically today was a great day for a boat ride. Took my mom out...she hasn't fished for anything other than trout since I was a kid and has only caught one steelhead (which was an accidental occurance) so it was an educational trip lol. She'd never been in a drift boat (much less with me on the sticks), or used a jig/float. Basically I spent the day rowing the boat and trying to help her get into fish, and hardly got my line wet, but it was worth it. She had a solid takedown that I know was a steelhead, I saw the big flash, but she had too much slack in her line. 2nd takedown a little downriver, and it was fish on...for about 5 seconds. Jumped out of the water, and spit the jig, again, too much slack :(. Caught some nice cutties, and I swear to you I've never seen anyone so excited about trout. She had a blast, which made it an awesome day. Now I have to go tie up half a dozen jigs to replace the ones that were donated to the river for educational purposes.

T
TroutSlayer
Glad to hear you had a nice trip and really glad to hear there's hope. Been planning this trip for a month and leaving in 5 hours. I've only had the opportunity to fish up there once about 4 years ago and got skunked. So jigs is the best bet? I'm bringing my fly rod as well any suggestions on what to use?

S
steelhead_stalkers
Today was a jig day. We hooked three steelhead and had a few other solid take downs. Low and clear but there are a few fish around. ;)

T
TroutSlayer
Any suggestions where about to go? I have not a clue and hoping I don't get lost driving out there. All I know is that there's about 40 miles of stream to fish and the only area I've ever seen is by the hatchery. I would be very greatful and you can pm me if you don't want to share all your secrets. Thanks a ton

S
simpsoti
I'll be out there in the morning for my Friday morning fishing. The alsea has been rough on me lately, hopefully tomorrow will be a little more productive! What time is first light these days? Seems I showed up a bit late last week.

S
simpsoti
TroutSlayer said:
Any suggestions where about to go? I have not a clue and hoping I don't get lost driving out there. All I know is that there's about 40 miles of stream to fish and the only area I've ever seen is by the hatchery. I would be very greatful and you can pm me if you don't want to share all your secrets. Thanks a ton

I'll probably be heading to either the HW 34 bridge hole, clemmons park/tree farm, or down by Mill Creek depending on how the crowds are. I have not fished the Alsea in too many low water situations though, so I'll probably be thrown a bit off my usual plans.

L
lilsalmon
JeannaJigs said:
The river is soooo low and clear! Basically today was a great day for a boat ride. Took my mom out...she hasn't fished for anything other than trout since I was a kid and has only caught one steelhead (which was an accidental occurance) so it was an educational trip lol. She'd never been in a drift boat (much less with me on the sticks), or used a jig/float. Basically I spent the day rowing the boat and trying to help her get into fish, and hardly got my line wet, but it was worth it. She had a solid takedown that I know was a steelhead, I saw the big flash, but she had too much slack in her line. 2nd takedown a little downriver, and it was fish on...for about 5 seconds. Jumped out of the water, and spit the jig, again, too much slack :(. Caught some nice cutties, and I swear to you I've never seen anyone so excited about trout. She had a blast, which made it an awesome day. Now I have to go tie up half a dozen jigs to replace the ones that were donated to the river for educational purposes.

Sounds like a perfect day....my mom prefers to reap the benefits of MY catches....she has a hard time in the tub let alone a boat on water...hehe... :)