Well that didn't last long

brandon4455
brandon4455
LOL thats stupid. they open and close the season too much.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
That is bull poopy! Good thing you got one,but I was planning on whacking one. :-(

B
beaverfan
It opens back up in January so there'll still be time to get some fish. Wait for a nice day in February and I'll probably join ya. Plus above the falls is still open 7 days a week! (not that I would really eat them up there) I had a trip planned for this Thursday, looks like I gotta convince my dad to hit the Wilson with me.

W
waco
that sure didn't last long!!! for some people didn't have a chance to plan a trip to the water for sturgeon!! (like me)LOL

M
Marvin's Guide Service
Yes that is so much BS.......................

F
Fishydog
So much for my first year targeting gators, I did get out on Sat(me & everyone else) and caught 2 shakers. Guess I need to learn to fish the estuaries now, anyone want to help a sturgeon virgin?

B
BobbiDollPDX
Fishydog said:
So much for my first year targeting gators, I did get out on Sat(me & everyone else) and caught 2 shakers. Guess I need to learn to fish the estuaries now, anyone want to help a sturgeon virgin?

I'm a sturgeon "pre-virgin". I haven't even tried fishing for them yet.

A
Airs98
BobbiDollPDX said:

Nov-Dec is usually good time to catch some sturgeons from the bank on Willamette. You will need to be able to cast your bait way out there. Since the season is closed now it's a perfect opportunity to practice as you will have the best fishing holes to yourself. Catch and release is just as fun.

B
BearlyAwake
Yeah it did suck that they closed it...but there are still great places to catch/keep

Yeah it did suck that they closed it...but there are still great places to catch/keep

To all lookin where to get the "Gators":
I was lookin forward to fishing the Multnomah Channel/Willamette for sturgeon, but the spot on the Columbia I fish has not let me down yet...No loss for me
I live in St Helens and right at the opening of the Multomah Channel is a prime spot to catch shakers/keepers, right on the river side of the "Fishing Deadline" sign. Also off Columbia City on the Oregon side. You can put in at Scappoose Bay or at St Helens and it's a short trip to anchor/catch. I use fresh squid with a few drops of Herring and Shrimp/Anise scent and I can't keep them off the hook...
I got a beauty of a 39" just a couple weekends ago....

"Bearly A-Wake" Mac

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
its already been said in this post... but I will say it again... and a thousand more times.. Quit keeping sturgeon... we make so much fun of bass fishermen and carp fishermen on this forum, but at least they have the disipline to do what is best for their fisheries.. like a 98% self imposed catch and release policy.. there is no need to have to keep a sturgeon.. I havent kept one in about 2 years, I will keep one fish over 50" this year to pickle.. and just let the rest go, Please, for the sake of this awsome fish.. practice catch and release fishing as much as you can stand it... filling tags is an ego thing, there are much cheaper and better tasting foods out there.-Brad

B
beaverfan
I totally agree, I kept one the weekend it was open but that was because it was my first keeper sized fish. I would be completely fine with a 1 fish a year limit or better yet c&r only for these amazing fish. Something needs to be done now before were not even allowed to fish for them! At the very least they need to change the slot limit size, a 38 inch sturgeon doesn't have a whole lot of meat on it. Even the 44incher I got only had maybe 8lbs of meat and were talking a 30lb fish! The only reason I'm upset about the closure is because now I can't convince my dad to go out now, he really wants a keeper but you can bet that he wouldn't keep more than 1 a year.

F
Fishydog
BobbiDollPDX said:
Well anytime you want to practice on the Willy you let me know :D
Maybe we could both loose it on the big C ;)