Is there a spring run of nooks on the ales?

S
shutup&fish
Just wondering if there is a spring run. I know there is a fall run. And if there is one has any one hooked up yet?

F
fisherwilly
There used to be a spring run of chinook on the Alsea. In some literature I read, the low head dam put in at the town of tidewater many years ago almost wiped out the whole run. Supposedly there are still some that run, but the fishing for chinook isn't open until Aug 1. That is probably to protect the very few fish that are springers.

S
shutup&fish
Good to know. Ya ill fish that fall run in aug for sure. I might run down and see if i can pull out a steelhead then. Given that they are still open? I havent been for some weeks now but i was getting some here and there up by the hatch. They still picking them up?

R
RunWithSasquatch
There wont be any steelhead in the Alsea in August. You wont here about any until November.I have heard from a few different people that there are still a few springers in the Alsea, but they can be put in the same category as a Unicorn. And I wouldnt get to excited on fall chinook above the salt until September, maybe a few comanche chinook might make it into the lower river in late august, but its nothing to shake a stick at.

Last edited:
A
alseaalumaweld
ya that!