Trout Fishing at Waldo...

Troutski
Troutski
Made it to Waldo before sunrise this morning....not sure what is more beautiful the boat ramp being empty or the fish rising in the bay. Then I got out of the car...first mistake; it was like a fog came over me...SKEETERS. A gazillion of them, and they could have cared less that I was armed with pure deet and the modern electric repellents. These critters were hungry and they wanted blood, luckily the launching went off without a hick up. I did a second gasp " did I remember to put the plug in ?" I look down and - sweet no water gushing in, now to out run the cloud of blood suckers and get to the west side of the lake where the sun was just starting to glow on the trees.
Such a great lake, Brookies, Kokes and wild life abounds in this wilderness. I watch a school of Brookies working what looked like small fry along one of the points on the west side in the main body of the lake this after noon. Talk about learning experience, watching them take turns darting in and out...those fish can literally turn on a dime at full speed; absolutely amazing - sat there for almost 45min watching with my binos, took a picture and left them to their breakfast.
Tried to get a picture but my skills are not in keeping with most photography on this site, any way I spent the morning exploring and fishing and did rather well on both counts. Three hooked and two to the boat, one in the fridge for lunch tomorrow...Yummmmm Brookie on the BBQ. The water temp was 64 degrees at the ramp and I found a new spring in this little cove; the water was actually making the lake surface boil. It was 59 degrees in that cove...made a GPS entry on my unit...good to know when the lake really starts to warm up. Tons of people camping and more kayaks and canoes than one could count...there was a dive team putting in as I was taking out...teased one woman about not taking at least a bang stick with her. She looked at her partner and looked back at me very puzzled;) I'm sure I will be paid back for that one...:naughty: Here are a few pictures hope you enjoy them...

Chuck

S
scottishsmokedsalmon
nice pics,chuck.
we went back up to hill creek yesterday,and it was green,yuck.
algie all over the lake tried some casting on one of the side ponds,but no success.
found some nice campsites though,so we will go back soon.
tony.

Troutski
Troutski
Summer time...

Summer time...

scottishsmokedsalmon said:
nice pics,chuck.
we went back up to hill creek yesterday,and it was green,yuck.
algie all over the lake tried some casting on one of the side ponds,but no success.
found some nice campsites though,so we will go back soon.
tony.

It is that time of the year, the water warms up and the algae creeps in. When Hills Creek greens up I start fishing Cougar...give it a try. Great camping and peace plus a very nice hot spring for the old bones.

Chuck

O
OnTheFly
Waldo

Waldo

you're kill'n me Troutski

Troutski
Troutski
Time will come...

Time will come...

OnTheFly said:
you're kill'n me Troutski

Trust me you would have hated the morning...when I woke up this morning I counted 17 serious bites on my face and neck alone..upon further inspection another half dozen on my ankles and feet.
Fall is a much better time of year, the fishing is better and the skeeters are almost non-nonexistent. I did see one other angler yesterday in the afternoon, looked like they were jigging off one of the shelf's.
I may have to take today off due to loss of blood;).

Chuck

F
fishnquest
Thanks for the memories...

Thanks for the memories...

Great pictures. Reminds me of places like Gold Lake in the sierras (haven't been there in decades). Ive never seen trout working the water, but it sounds great. You guys live in fishing mecca...makes me think of all the time I spent in the high sierras eons ago, backpacking and fly fishing the creeks. Its all just too pretty. I'm on a new quest to catch trout from a boat...

G
GrillMaster
Nice post

Nice post

Wow, you do have a special place up there. What a cool thing to see, the fish doing there daily chores to survive. Those pictures looked great, you may have a point and shoot but you get the most out of your camera. Thanks for the post and hope your skeeter bites heal quickly, I have been to those places in the past and they do go right after you. Thanks again for the great insight on our great state and our waters.

GM

W
WorkinStiff
Say TroutSki....

Say TroutSki....

How the heck do you fish Waldo, It's so vast??..where did you find the brookies & what did you catch them on??...I love it up there......But you get a lot of bad vibes if you have a motorboat....The canoe/kayak crowd looks at like your a nazi despoiling their beautiful lake....

Troutski
Troutski
Motors...

Motors...

Let them glare, let them tell it to the judge;) Until the Judge turns this matter over to the governor I plan on spending as much time as humanly possible on this lake. Outstanding fishing and great views...and nature abounds. Most skeeters in this area can be saddled and ridden:). Funny the looks we get with our motors, but when the wind kicks up and they get stuck on the wrong side of the lake and can't make it back until night fall...well I am all ready home and finished my shower. I have been using this lake for almost 13 years and in all that time I have never seen a oil slick from a motor, and the water purity hasn't degraded one bit in all those years...it is estimated that only 5% of all visitors use outboard motors on this lake...sure is a lot of litter and trash on the bottom of the lake from that small group, so it appears that all those purist are responsible for there fare share.

Chuck