Video of Pond # 6: Big cats here!

B
bigfootfish
Here's a video of the deepest and coldest pond. It's stocked with small channel cats which get big in this pond. Odfw had just dropped 35,000 fingerling trout into this water also. Perhaps they meant 3,500 fingerlings? Food for the cats?
Anyway, cats from 15 to 33 lbs. have been caught out of this waterbody, mostly in the early morning, according to the Fish & Game Report posted at that time. I took this video on 9.28.08.

BFF

[YOUTUBE]Dqda3sV97YM[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
M
Mike123
Man where is the pond!?

I have been wanting to go catch a catfish! Tried a few times but no luck.

Do cats bite this time of year with the cold weather?

B
bigfootfish
Directions to St. Louis Ponds

Directions to St. Louis Ponds

Mike123, go to GoogleMaps:

Google Maps

and type in the search panel: Gervais, Or.
That should show you how to get there from Gervais. Gervais is just south of Woodburn. All the ponds are man-made and the Odfw has wells that they use in the summer to keep the ponds from drying up. This is a Marion County Park. There is a host that lives there in a travel trailer or motorhome. The ponds are open year round, but the gate is closed during winter months. There are some shallow ponds too for waterdog training. Waterfowl hunting is allowed there during the season, since the land was donated to Odfw from private landowners. Odfw works closely with Marion County Parks. With the gate closed you can still park near the gate and walk in, as lots of people do. The Wizard Falls Hatchery on the Metolius River drops brooder BROOK TROUT, that's right, BROODER brook trout in pond 3 sometime in the next month or so. These brooder won't be over 20", as that's somewhat rare for brookies, but not impossible. The state record for a brook trout IS 9 pounds 6 ounces. That one was probably over 20". Here is a breakdown of what's there. The trout are seasonal, as far as I know.

Bluegill.................................all ponds.
Channel Catfish.....................#6 & two others, I'm not sure which.
Crappie (White)....................all ponds.
Green Sunfish.......................all ponds.
Largemouth Bass...................all ponds.
Rainbow Trout......................#1 & #3
Redear Sunfish......................all ponds.
Brook Trout..........................#3

This breakdown is approximate. Go to:

Recreation Report: Willamette Zone: Fishing - Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife

and the following is from today's listing:

ST LOUIS PONDS: rainbow trout, crappie, catfish

Stocked last week with 300 rainbow trout of various sizes. The gate to the ponds is now closed and locked but anglers can walk into the area to fish. Recently stocked with 2,000 rainbow trout, ranging from 8 inches to 1 ½ pounds. Several other species are also available, including bass, crappie and bluegill. This 54-acre complex of 7 ponds is owned and managed by ODFW. The site is located west of the town of Gervais. Take St. Louis Road west to Tesch Lane, turn left and follow the road to the ponds.

So there you go, I hope.:think::)

BFF

Last edited:
M
Mike123
Ok I figured out where they are...

Sweet Ima go try these out one afternoon..

Anyone know anything about catfishin?
Best to do in summer?

Last edited:
F
Fishtopher
Catch catfish in that little pond anytime. It hasnt been stocked with catfish in AGES! But not too long ago(1yr-2yrs) someone pulled a record cat outta there. Last time I was there it was skunk-ola. They only fish Ive had alotta luck there with is the Bluegill.

B
bigfootfish
Pond #6 stocked.

Pond #6 stocked.

Pond #6 was stocked with several thousand baby channel cats a few months ago, according to Fish & Wildlife.
Mike123, as far as I know, channel cat fishing is good year-round. Water temp is a factor for all fish, of course.

BFF

Last edited:
L
leach laker
Anyone know if the ponds are closed to nightime access?

C
colbypearson
how big are the bass in there ???:think::think:

and maybe about how far from southern oregon medford area?:pray:

B
bigsteel
colbypearson said:
how big are the bass in there ???:think::think:

and maybe about how far from southern oregon medford area?:pray:

hey colby,,,,these ponds are in gervais its like 20 minutes north of salem,,,there are very large bass in there,,,as well as catfish and trout..i believe theres six or seven pond so you could spend all day there easily.....

F
Fishtopher
leach laker said:
Anyone know if the ponds are closed to nightime access?

Yep. Gate locked at night.

B
bad habit
First post, took 3 months to do it

Nice site, with tons of info. I look forward to learning and sharing. I do some bass fishing, as well as some salmon and or steelhead. Though bass fishing takes up about 75% of my fishing time.

A few freinds and I used to go there all the time. We had a blast walking around from pond to pond a pole in each hand with a backpack full of gear and goodies. I have seen large bass pulled out of there but personally I have not caught anything over 4 lbs there. As far as catfish.....I had a guy show me some pics once of all the big catfish he had caught. Nice pics!

It is closed part of the year, due the yearly floods. Not sure when though.

Last edited:
B
bigfootfish
bad habit said:
First post, took 3 months to do it

Nice site, with tons of info. I look forward to learning and sharing. I do some bass fishing, as well as some salmon and or steelhead. Though bass fishing takes up about 75% of my fishing time.

A few freinds and I used to go there all the time. We had a blast walking around from pond to pond a pole in each hand with a backpack full of gear and goodies. I have seen large bass pulled out of there but personally I have not caught anything over 4 lbs there. As far as catfish.....I had a guy show me some pics once of all the big catfish he had caught. Nice pics!

It is closed part of the year, due the yearly floods. Not sure when though.

Actually I think the ponds are open all year. You can park near the locked gates and walk in. I'd call Marion County Parks Department or the ODFW for the hours the park is closed.

B
bad habit
bigfootfish said:
Actually I think the ponds are open all year. You can park near the locked gates and walk in. I'd call Marion County Parks Department or the ODFW for the hours the park is closed.

You are correct. Becareful though, many cars have been broken into when parked near the gate. Fortunately not mine.

Top Bottom