Timothy Lake trolling help?

K
KamranWalsh14
Hey, I'm Kamran. So... I'm going fishing on Timothy Lake in about a week and a half. I want to target both the trout and the (tiny) kokanee. I've fished it from shore with flies and had success, but I recently got a hobie mirage outback kayak and a downrigger and want to test them out. I heard that wedding rings with crawlers are working, so I was thinking about putting one behind a sling blade at around 20-30 feet. Anyone have other tactics that work for them? Perhaps non-downrigger techniques in case it doesn't work (it's my first time using it)? Any advice would be appreciated.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Good for you, getting the yak and taking it out! :thumb: I have absolutely zero experience with kayaks nor Timothy so I could be way, way off, but I would think a bit deeper with most any proven trout trolling bait/technique would work. Please come back with a report and let us know how you do/did!

C_Run
C_Run
I don't have any experience at Timothy but have a couple of seasons' experience at Green Peter fishing from a kayak. Generally, the kokanee would be near the surface early in the day and then move deeper later on when it warms up. A depth finder is a good addition to your kayak if you have a budget for accessories. Then you can tell where most of the fish are. Invest in a jar of Pautzke's Fire Corn or learn how to make your own from shoe peg corn if you are targeting kokanee. Tip your wedding ring with that. You can also try jigging with various jigs at any depth. Just do a search for "kokanee jigs" to get an idea of what to use. Lots of options. Trout seem to like the kokanee rigs just fine. Let's hear how you do up there.

troutdude
troutdude
If you see fish rising/feeding on the surface (most likely will be early morning/late evening); try VERY SLOWLY trolling a Woolly Bugger and/or Teeny Nymph in Olive Green or Black.

T
twout
So, how did you do?

K
KamranWalsh14
Sorry for being late with the reply...something got in the way and I couldn't go. But I am definitely going tomorrow. I'll also try fishing the Oak Grove Fork below Timothy Lake and I'll be sure to bring crayfish traps.

Will give a full report!

K
KamranWalsh14
So, I'm back. Due to time restraints I didn't bring the downrigger. I trolled for hours and ended up catching one trout, around 12", on a frog flatfish. From what I heard from the other people on the lake, it had been a slow day. Still happy to have turned a fish, though.