Rhino lining inside of a drft boat?

T
TimberTodd
I saw a used 14' Lavro for sale and the owner has coated the whole inside with rhino lining. I called a local truck shop and asked about the weight factor of the lining and I was told it would be around 1/2 lb per square foot. Quick figuring puts it at around 100 additional lbs. on the boat. Would this be a big concern if you were not going to approach the labeled load capacity of the boat with people and gear.

D
DrTheopolis
Not sure about a "big concern." But 100 lbs is 100 lbs. It doesn't row itself.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I can't imagine why anyone would do that. Regardless of weight, I don't see a benefit.

On a related note though, I've been tempted to spray parts of the inside of my boat with neverwet. All the flat parts that tend to get egg juice and stuff on them.

T
TimberTodd
Thanks for the input guys. I saw it advertised and I was interested in the boat due to the price, but the lining had me concerned. I agree with you jamisonace, I am not sure why one would want to do that.

D
DirectDrive
A 14' Lavro is a nice rowing boat when kept light (read oarsman and one frontseater).
With this boat you'll always have that ghost (100 pounder) aboard.
I'd be patient and wait for another to come along.

H
halibuthitman
When i see strange things in boats, cars and buildings i automaticly assume its hiding something-

T
TimberTodd
I was thinking the same thing.

halibuthitman said:
When i see strange things in boats, cars and buildings i automaticly assume its hiding something-

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
halibuthitman said:

Maybe the rhinoliner is a structural component?

E
eugene1
Lol.

gungasuncle said:
maybe the rhinoliner is a structural component?

T
TimberTodd
GungasUncle said:
Maybe the rhinoliner is a structural component?

Like the old saying goes "If all else fails use duct tape"