Who stole the rain?

K
kmarsh49
This is my first post. I'm new to the Oregon coast. Moved to the left coast from New York in Sept and had to learn all over again how to fish. Love it. My 2 kids and I went out the Sat before Christmas with a local guy from Knappa and got 4 steelhead average 14lb, 2wild,2 hat. Darn beautiful fish you have out here. Think I got the technique down but have not got a hit since. The water levels have dropped crazy. I gather we need a couple days of good rain to fill the streams, dirty them up, and the fish will start pushing up. True? Also, half our fishing that day was with home cured eggs. When I went out I bought Skein Eggs in a tub at Buds in Gearheart. Are they any good? Should I sent them up?

C
chrisohm
The Eastern US stole all of our moisture. Hopefully we can get some soon....real soon. Its not unheard of to have drought conditions this time of year but it is unusual. We need the rain for reasons beyond fishing. On the other hand, welcome to Oregon! Glad you got into some fish and to answer your egg question.....guides usually have fresh eggs. The fresher the better. Even uncured eggs fresh from a hen will catch fish. As far as cures go, there are many you can find searching the forum, checking the internet or browsing youtube. I wouldn't say one cure works better than another, the real key is that the eggs are fresh and not something hidden in a freezer for a year.

H
halibuthitman
I think i saw you at big creek, you were heading down to the park from the hatchery?

D
DrTheopolis
Here's one thing I can say with certainty -- ask 100 different egg-fishermen about cures, and you'll get 100 different answers.

hobster
hobster
WE NEED RAIN!! 2013 was the driest year on record. We hardly had any last winter,boy were the local rivers low. Was hoping for a great rainy season this winter but the week forecast is pretty dry. Hope its comin soon!

D
DrTheopolis
We've had these years before. Even without rain, the winters will come (much more so than fall salmon). If everything stays low, especially on the coast, there will be fish after the next full moon, big tide cycle. Winters aren't quite as picky (just as summer don't care much).

I think I heard the weatherman say for Portland, unless it rains some in the next few days, it would be about the 5th driest. With about 75 years of "official" data, hardly counts as a statistical shocker.

hobster
hobster
I stand corrected, I meant for Eugene. From the newspaper 3 days ago, hasn't rained since and won't rain tomorrow:

All of Oregon is listed as dry, but southern Oregon has been historically dry in 2013,” said Dello, “and Medford and the southern coast have a chance to have their driest year on record.”

As of mid-December, the Medford Airport had received just 8.97 inches of precipitation; the record dry year was set 1959 with 10.42 inches.

The North Bend Airport was nearly five inches short of its driest year on record.

Eugene remains on track for 2013 to be the driest year on record. Only 21.19 inches of rain have fallen so far. The current record dry year is 1944, with 23.26 inches of rain.

D
DrTheopolis
I wasn't arguing it's been a little dry. Just saying with ~75 years (totally depending on the reporting station) of records, there was a 1 in 75 chance to break a record. If Portland hauls in 5th driest, it was a 1 in 15.

Stat stuff aside, I was pointing out that we've seen this before, more than once in my time, and eventually they get tired of waiting, unlike fall nooks. If it stays down, go all-in on the next huge cycle of highs... down low.

hobster
hobster
I hear ya, they gotta come in at some point. Last year the Slaw was so low I had to relearn steelhead fishing with a bobber which I'd never done before. I always drift fished but the holes were too low, it was cool learning a new technique. Its even lower right now, and I'm gonna bust out the fly rod next time. Its just a new challenge until the rain comes.

D
DrTheopolis
I haven't done it in a few years, but in previous years, we'd take a (usually) 1/4 oz jig, straight to 8# mainline, and drift it from the head of the hole down. Caught a bundle that way. A slight twitch helps, but a very slight one.

Long, fluffy jigs.

A
Astonleo
Welcome to oregon and welcome to this forum!As it’s known, the Eastern US stole all of the rain what you mentioned.Now you are learning how to fishing that you can get lots of knowledge from this forum.And we can also help each other if you wish...
Happy every fishing day!

C
cpeaslee
I have no idea what any of that means.

D
DrTheopolis
This one gets bumped when it's raining so hard, I can't see across the street?

Alrighty then.

hobster
hobster
Good to see some rain! Last week there was some pretty good fishing around here, hope for the same next week.
Very interesting bump indeed.