broke out the bug wands

L
lizardman
One ST Croix fiberglass 4/5 weight with "D HDH" marked on it below four zeros. This one I seemed to be able to cast better, maybe due to the weight of the floating fly line.

One Ocean City reel loaded with floating fly line and backing (line was new in 1984)

and then I switched to a Cortland 6/7 weight fiberglass rod 7 1/2 foot long.

Both rods are two piece.

I was practicing my cast in the yard and then later in the street and caught one butterfly bush, some tomato plants and one side view mirror that was on the Tahoe. Sadly I snapped my boy in the ear with the leader (he was behind me and I heard the line crack like a whip).

some of the time I could cast without cracking the line like a whip when going from back to front, so I need to be more patient or practice making better loops so I don't crack it like a whip (this killed the leader that was on the fly line).

I might just have to play more with it as I was having fun.

Does having the line wet (as in actual use) make the casting easier or smoother? Should I continue to practice in a nice wide open area (I think this is best for me now)?

Dave

M
mlw
If you are cracking it like a whip you are not waiting long enough on the back cast before starting the forward cast. turn around and watch it, or cast sidearm so you can watch the loop. Remember a positive stop on your back cast and forward cast. There are a bunch of videos and articles online about casting, check google video, youtube, etc.

A nice open grassy area is great for practice. (the street not too friendly for flylines)
Have fun.
Michael

O
Outdrsmn
yes you should have a pause before you throw it forward. the more line you have out the longer the pause. You will get the feel of it.

L
lizardman
well I am thinking also that part of the problem with the 7.5 foot 6/7 weight rod casting is that the line isn't heavy enough for the rod as it wouldn't go nice and straight on the front cast where it would with the four weight ST Croix rod. In fact casting with the 7 foot ST Croix rod I got very few pops (whip cracks) and the line and leader was nice and straight when it laid out in front of me.

Now to re-learn the knot to tie the leader to the fly line since I don't use that knot (only ever tied it once) on my spinning gear. On my spinning gear I just tie a small loop in the end of the main line and the end of the leader and hook the loops together, or tie the main line to a barrell swivel and tie the leader to the barrell swivell using clinch knots (exept when using braided main line, then I tie a loop and connect the loop on the main line to the barrell swivell).

Dave

S
Sage_Flyguy
The easiest knot to tie line to line that I have found and use is a knot called the double uni... I am sure a lot of people on here chose or prefer the blood knot , but Ifind it time consuming and a pain to tie , I lose track where I am at.

As for the casting , I agree with the earlier posts , you are not pausing long enough on the back cast before you start your forward cast.. turning your head to watch will help... I found the biggest help to me , was to picture myself throwing the line not whipping it... Try and slow everything down and get comfortable with smooth acceleration forward and backwards.. For me , if you go with the 10 O' clock - 2 O'clock method... After the back cast and pause you should concentrate on your rod smooth acceleration such as from 10 - noon shouldnt be as fast as from noon - 2 and so forth coming back 2 - noon being slower etc...

I hope this helps you out , its just the little tricks I used and it seemed to help me out...

Good Luck out there , I hope to hear feedback from you in the future of all the poor fish that hace fallen victim to your fly

Jer

C
Cake
I have a 7' 6" 4# bamboo I'd sell if you have the money.

I made it myself, but my walking isn't what it used to be.

I don't know what will become of my other 7 rods, 2# to 8#.

I think my lack of being able to go fishin these days is what

makes me in a crappy mood all the time.

M
meluvtrout
lizardman said:
well I am thinking also that part of the problem with the 7.5 foot 6/7 weight rod casting is that the line isn't heavy enough for the rod as it wouldn't go nice and straight on the front cast where it would with the four weight ST Croix rod. In fact casting with the 7 foot ST Croix rod I got very few pops (whip cracks) and the line and leader was nice and straight when it laid out in front of me.

Now to re-learn the knot to tie the leader to the fly line since I don't use that knot (only ever tied it once) on my spinning gear. On my spinning gear I just tie a small loop in the end of the main line and the end of the leader and hook the loops together, or tie the main line to a barrell swivel and tie the leader to the barrell swivell using clinch knots (exept when using braided main line, then I tie a loop and connect the loop on the main line to the barrell swivell).

Dave

I found a Tie-fast combo tool wading up in Barton Creek and I think you wouldn't regret paying $12 if you owned one of these...

[YOUTUBE]ixx9zLWm45o[/YOUTUBE]

S
starion87le
I bought one of those tools, very handy! I learned how to tie all sorts of knots in just a few minutes using one of those.