Seal nearly stole my dinner!

F
fish_4_all
Okay, first off, if I had not seen this I would not have believed it. Of course it had to happen to me so it will forever be imprinted every time I go fishing from now on. I don't expect everyone to believe it, like I said, I doubt I would if I didn't see it but I am telling it anyway and so help it is the truth or may I not catch another fish this year.

Sorry, there will be no picture, I paid my tribute to the fish gods and filleted the fish on the bank giving the carcass back to hopefully appease the seal and fish gods.

I hooked a nice little Coho and was fighting it without much problem. A couple small runs and everything was cool. Then the fish takes off like a rocket. It then turns and heads directly at me. I get caught up and this fish almost beaches itself. Once I got the fish out of the water I bend down to grab the fish and this harbor seal comes out of nowhere and splashes not 2 feet off shore looking me straight in the eye before it wiggles it way back into the water because it beached itself in the process. I take a look at my fish and the entire bottom section of my fishes tail is GONE!

Now I am one that gets a huge adrenalin rush from landing a fish but this was like chugging a gallon of red bull after eating a pound of sugar and drinking a super charged espresso.

This is one story of the one that almost got away that I will never forget. But the seal did get away.

Last edited:
B
Bass Ackwards
Thats an awesome story! How big was the seal??

F
fish_4_all
About 5 foot is what I guessed, full grown harbor seal, pretty blue eyes though. Very healthy looking specimen for trying to steal my dinner. Fat little thing took 3-4 seconds to swim away after beaching itself. Probably more scared of me than it scared me.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Way to go!

Way to go!

Oh my. :shock: That would have made my waders slosh! :redface: I'm glad you won the stare down and weren't challenged more. I hope you have a wonderful dinner out of it,too. Congratulations!! :clap: :clap:

M
Mike123
Those things are sooo smart! They cruise the shores looking at fisherman to see if they have a fish on.

F
fourgotten
Was out Winchester Bay over the weekend and those li'l buggers had stationed themselves in a line in front of the fishermen, waiting for someone to hook into a fish.

Sounds like you had one helluva encounter! Awesome!

BTW, just FYI, it's illegal (that doesn't mean it's wrong... just illegal) to dispose of fish carcasses or remains in Oregon waters... might want to edit that bit out of the post ;)

M
mikld
It happens quite often farther south (I didn't say it; CA). I've seen good sized yellowtail heads only landed!

F
fishnquest
Incredible

Incredible

Thats an incredible story. Must have been quite a rush. I was at the ocean last week and had an afternoon to bank fish. When I see those guys, I just go somewhere else. Glad you got your fish.
The whale watching was quite spectacular here last week; saw 1 first day and 3 different pair up close in about 2 hours 2nd day. About 1 1/2 miles out. Its a little scary when you can see the barnacles.

W
womanwhofishes
seals love salmon
thats why you NEVER used salmon heads as bait for crabbing too.
:think:

Q
qwapaw
I have a question about putting the parts left over from cleaning fish back into the water. Where you put the boat in and out in Old Town Florence there is a fish cleaning station. The large drain hole is right over the river and everything goes into the drink. Last weekend the fish and game fish checker stood right beside a fellow cleaning a nice "Nook" and all the spare parts went right into the river. If it's against the law to do that, why do they build cleaning stations over the river, and not tell a fellow he is breaking the law when they are standing right there. I would have bet it was legal as I see it happen all the time at the coast. Just a question that is bugging me. The world won't end if I don't figure it out. Good luck fishing to all. Tight Lines, Dan U

F
FishSchooler
qwapaw said:
I have a question about putting the parts left over from cleaning fish back into the water. Where you put the boat in and out in Old Town Florence there is a fish cleaning station. The large drain hole is right over the river and everything goes into the drink. Last weekend the fish and game fish checker stood right beside a fellow cleaning a nice "Nook" and all the spare parts went right into the river. If it's against the law to do that, why do they build cleaning stations over the river, and not tell a fellow he is breaking the law when they are standing right there. I would have bet it was legal as I see it happen all the time at the coast. Just a question that is bugging me. The world won't end if I don't figure it out. Good luck fishing to all. Tight Lines, Dan U

And at Tanner creek... everyone gutted their fish, threw the guts into the river, and the fish checkers that make reports were even there.

F
fourgotten
qwapaw said:
I have a question about putting the parts left over from cleaning fish back into the water. Last weekend the fish and game fish checker stood right beside a fellow cleaning a nice "Nook" and all the spare parts went right into the river. If it's against the law to do that, why do they build cleaning stations over the river, and not tell a fellow he is breaking the law when they are standing right there. I would have bet it was legal as I see it happen all the time at the coast. Just a question that is bugging me.

Usually, I see OSP (Oregon State Police) filling the role of verifying license/tags. They don't seem to be well versed, for the most part, on game laws. For example, I was checked out whilst harvesting Purple Varnish Clams from Siletz Bay. Officer asked how many I had. I said that I had one limit and my friend also had one limit plus a few mussels (each of us had our own basket, of course).

Officer said, "How many is that?"

I agree that having the cleaning stations empty directly into the river encourages violations and, frankly, the rule does seem a bit silly. But it's right there on page 8 of your fishing regulations (number 15).

Strangely, though, I haven't been able to find it in Oregon Revised Statutes. Think that it's time I call and harass ODFW. :D

kirkster
kirkster
read the regs

read the regs

qwapaw said:

read the synopsis it reads its unlawful to discard of fish remains in oregn waters. Im just stating like fourgotten stated. I didn't write the laws and am not going to argue wether its right or wrong but it is the law.

F
fish_4_all
That's interesting that it is illegal down there, it is actually encouraged here. WDFW every year throws tons of carcasses back in the river to feed the river so it can feed the smolt.

Seems like a major waste of energy that the river needs to support future generations of fish not to return the carcasses to the river. Not to mention the waste it keeps from winding up in our landfills. Sure, make the regulation to keep the fish carcasses in the same river. Also, add the rule they have here. Proof of catch must be retained until you are done for the day on dry land. The only place we have any rule like that is in our boat basins and that is to discourage seals from congregating in them and to prevent too much waste from creating a problem.