Thread: Mad River Steelhead worms

Mad River Steelhead worms

Hello new member here, I just picked some steelhead worms and I'm wondering what the best way to rig them up. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Derek

V.I.P.
    berkley has a video on youtube on how to rig them up, check that out for an easy visual.
    There are alot of styles really. I like to trim them down and use them on jig heads. pretty much I rig them like I fish rubber worms for bass, except that I use a sliding float.

my #1 piece of advice on rubber worms is to not get stuck using only pink. orange, red, green, brown, and black have all caught fish for me too.
    Last edited by osmosis; 04-21-2008 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by osmosis View Post
    berkley has a video on youtube on how to rig them up, check that out for an easy visual.
    There are alot of styles really. I like to trim them down and use them on jig heads. pretty much I rig them like I fish rubber worms for bass, except that I use a sliding float.

my #1 piece of advice on rubber worms is to not get stuck using only pink. orange, red, green, brown, and black have all caught fish for me too.
    I saw that video and unfortunately all the info I got from 2 Bros. and the video were completely different. So now I'm more confused than ever. Oh well I'm sure I'll figure it out. Thanks for the help. Derek

V.I.P.
    if you could let me know what you are confused about, I could rig some worms up and take pictures.

if you could let me know what you are confused about, I could rig some worms up and take pictures.
    I get the lead jig head part, but what I'm confused about is how rig them with a sliding bobber setup? Should I add any scent? Thanks for your help

V.I.P.
    some worms come with scent in them.

onto your mainline slide a bobber stop knot a foot or two up the line to give yourself room and tighten it down. followed by one 4-6mm bead that will not travel through the tip guide on the rod. after the bead slide one bright colored small yakima bait co corkie onto the line, followed by your slip bobber of choice (I use beau mac's 1/8 oz mostly). Then tie on a swivel. I use two #4 or #5 split shot to counterweight the float, and attach them 1/2" ABOVE my swivel, some people like the weight halfway down the leader, and some people use the inline weights - all personal preference. on the other end of the swivel use from 2-3feet of leader.. after it's all together trim your tag ends.

so from right to left in my picture - bobber stop knot (small orange dot 1" from bead and corkie), bead, corkie, float, 2x split shot, swivel, cut out of picture is 2' of 9# ultra green with a light pink first bite jig on the other end.

Last edited by osmosis; 04-22-2008 at 01:08 PM.

some worms come with scent in them.

onto your mainline slide a bobber stop knot a foot or two up the line to give yourself room and tighten it down. followed by one 4-6mm bead that will not travel through the tip guide on the rod. after the bead slide one bright colored small yakima bait co corkie onto the line, followed by your slip bobber of choice (I use beau mac's 1/8 oz mostly). Then tie on a swivel. I use two #4 or #5 split shot to counterweight the float, and attach them 1/2" ABOVE my swivel, some people like the weight halfway down the leader, and some people use the inline weights - all personal preference. on the other end of the swivel use from 2-3feet of leader.. after it's all together trim your tag ends.

so from right to left in my picture - bobber stop knot (small orange dot 1" from bead and corkie), bead, corkie, float, 2x split shot, swivel, cut out of picture is 2.5' of 9# ultra green with a light pink first bite jig on the other end.

Now I see, thanks for the help!! Hopefully I can get out tomorrow and give it a try. I just bought a new lamiglas yesterday and I'm itching to go out.

V.I.P.
    oohhh a new lamiglas! heck ya, which one?
    I like lamiglas alot. my very favorite rod is a lamiglas certified pro x86mc. they make great rods and their customer service matches!

oohhh a new lamiglas! heck ya, which one?
    I like lamiglas alot. my very favorite rod is a lamiglas certified pro x86mc. they make great rods and their customer service matches!
    Oh yeah!! I got a Rouge River Special spinning rod w/ a Diawa reel. I too have the x86mc cert. pro and it's a great rod. I use it for trolling cut plug herring for the mighty "nook." Thanks for all of your help. Derek

V.I.P.
    Nice. I havent used a rogue river special. youll have to let me know how you like it after you use it some..

the x86mc is my #1 coho steelhead and chinook drift fishing rod. and it's a bit light for the chinook at #8-12. I use cheap $50 North River rods for trolling herring, I think #10-20.
    Last edited by osmosis; 04-22-2008 at 02:50 PM.

Nice! I havent used a rogue river special. youll have to let me know how you like it after you use it some..

the x86mc is my #1 coho steelhead and chinook drift fishing rod. I use cheap $50 North River rods for trolling herring.
    I know I should probably do the same but the x86mc is so sensetive the "nooks" can't feel the hook. Boy I'll tell you what, the last one I caught on my x86mc gave me a run for my money. It was a total rush.

V.I.P.
    yeah larger coho are a great fight on that rod, chinook with room to move can take awhile.
    You gotta catch salmon on a 5wt sometime if you like rods bending to the handle

yeah larger coho are a great fight on that rod, chinook with room to move can take awhile.
    You gotta catch salmon on a 5wt sometime if you like rods bending to the handle
    WOW!! I bet that's a fight.

Fishing in Willamette Zone
Fishing in Northwest Oregon
Fishing in Southwest Oregon
Fishing in Central Oregon
Fishing in Northeast Oregon
Fishing in Southeast Oregon
Salt Water Fishing in Oregon
Fishing outside Oregon
Steelhead Fishing in Oregon
Salmon Fishing in Oregon
Trout Fishing in Oregon