Fishing etiquette 101

Bass Man
Bass Man
So I just finished reading the Boats vs. the bank angler thread posted by JeannaJigs on 2/28/09 and had a question due to similar issues while bank fishing the last month.

My last incident happened last friday at the Waterloo bridge on the South Santiam while fishing with a couple buddies. We ended up fishing between the bridge and boat ramp, there was one guy underneath the bridge so we gave him about 20 yards and spread out towards the ramp. Ended up doing good, got 5 trout and 1 sucker fish but got hung up a lot in this area. Anyways..I ended up underneath the bridge after the one guy took off. About 20 minutes later 5 teenagers came down and started fishing about 10 feet from me, casting directly in front of where I was standing. After a couple of wtf glares at them I decided it was best to remain silent and bite my lip.

So my question is...what do you feel is enough "space" between anglers? I just don't understand how someone can do that, unless I'm fishing with someone I like lots of space. If I go to one of my favorite fishing holes and other anglers are there I usually go find another spot to fish. I know this is a "touchy" subject but I just want to get some feedback.

Got this from some website:

Responsible Anglers Respect The Rights Of Others
As Ethical Anglers:

1. We treat other anglers, boaters and other people we might meet in the field with courtesy and respect.

2. We obtain permission from landowners and never trespass on private lands or waters.

3. We respect the space of other anglers when fishing from the shore or in a boat and give room to all anglers playing a fish.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Wild & Wooly

Wild & Wooly

BassMan;
I know exactly how you feel. I don't like fishing elbow to elbow either unless it is family. I have a method that I resort to on the occasional encounter with the fisher folk I have dubbed "Moses Ronald" or MoRon for short. :lol: I suddenly become a very dangerous caster. My line is liable to end up anywhere in the 360 degrees around me. I have found that if you make 'em nervous enough it takes the fun out of trying to bully you. They don't usually stick around for long. Try it,you might like it...;)
Be safe.
Barb

Bass Man
Bass Man
Hmmm..you might just have the answer Barb

Hmmm..you might just have the answer Barb

Raincatcher said:
BassMan;
I know exactly how you feel. I don't like fishing elbow to elbow either unless it is family. I have a method that I resort to on the occasional encounter with the fisher folk I have dubbed "Moses Ronald" or MoRon for short. :lol: I suddenly become a very dangerous caster. My line is liable to end up anywhere in the 360 degrees around me. I have found that if you make 'em nervous enough it takes the fun out of trying to bully you. They don't usually stick around for long. Try it,you might like it...;)
Be safe.
Barb

I must try this:lol: If you can't beat them..tangle them!! Much like giving warning shots:dance: As always thank you for the advice Barb.

Chromatose
Chromatose
* Learn and obey the laws, rules and regulation that govern the body of water in which you are fishing.
* Support conservation efforts, do not litter and practice taking out more then you brought in.
* Respect Property owner’s rights and do not trespass.
* Share knowledge and skills, to promote greater understanding of fishing.
* Do not release live bait or cast unwanted eggs into the water to help reduce the spread of water born diseases.
* Provide other anglers with 100 ft of upstream and downstream spacing when possible.
* Do not drift floats into other anglers areas where they are casting.
* Do not fish floats over rising fish that anglers on opposite bank are casting to or resting. Never assume a person on the shore is not fishing.
* Practice catch and release on all out of season, restricted or un needed fish. Harvest only what your need.

Even though the term Float fishing is used here, these seem to be a few good points. The last time I had indecent while bank fishing, some fishermen took notice that I had some luck. They almost ran over to make sure while I was landing my catch that they got a couple of casts in the very same place I was fishing. I C&R my quarry and walked up to these guy`s. I asked them what they drove to the river? They asked me why? I tell them that if I knew that we all were going to fish the same inches of water that I would have rode with them. Could have saved gas money. They knew what I was referring to and made apologies and moved on. My take on this type of behavior has been met with humor for the most part. I have found that most do know what they are doing and if pointed out usually get embarrass at their actions. Most reg booklets have a etiquette part in their writings. They go on to say that it is first come first serve so to speak, and that if a person is fishing a certain area of water that this rule holds true and to wait their turn. With more and more folks fishing and the lack of public acess, it is going to be a hard nut to crack.

Last edited:
Bass Man
Bass Man
Great info to know

Great info to know

Chromatose said:
* Learn and obey the laws, rules and regulation that govern the body of water in which you are fishing.
* Support conservation efforts, do not litter and practice taking out more then you brought in.
* Respect Property owner’s rights and do not trespass.
* Share knowledge and skills, to promote greater understanding of fishing.
* Do not release live bait or cast unwanted eggs into the water to help reduce the spread of water born diseases.
* Provide other anglers with 100 ft of upstream and downstream spacing when possible.
* Do not drift floats into other anglers areas where they are casting.
* Do not fish floats over rising fish that anglers on opposite bank are casting to or resting. Never assume a person on the shore is not fishing.
* Practice catch and release on all out of season, restricted or un needed fish. Harvest only what your need.

Hi Chromatose,

Thank you for sharing these rules, laws and regs. I will be more considerate of the 100 ft spacing in the future myself. Big difference between 10 ft and 100 ft. That "when possible" seems to confuse things up a bit, guess it depends on each anglers ability to find another spot 100 ft away.

Chromatose
Chromatose
Hey BassMan,
I know it is hard to have some distance between other fishermen/women in some cases.

I am out fishing the great lakes region for now. Even out here it has gotten to a point where a person has to be diligent in finding a semi secluded water shed to fish. I tried fishing off days, Tues/Wed. Seems even that is getting less and less. Some days I will ask myself "Doesn't any body work any more" ? :lol: IMO it boils down to what a person has been taught. It amazes me to no end when I do talk to other fishermen/women what they do or do not know. I try my best to be diplomatic when in discussion. But there are those times when I know being a diplomat is not my forte. But I do my best and that is all I can do. Take It Easy!!!

J
joeyota
There are place and fish that I expect to be elbow to elbow. Shad fishing on the umpqua is one of those places I know of the same 2 spots that most all the other people know of. I was down there one year. It was a little crowded but not bad we were spaced at least 10ft apart. There were a few fish coming in. Soon enough one of the guys up the bank from me hooked into something big Salmon I believe. No one had to say anything, but every body stopped fishing so this guy could fight this fish, How often does one get this chance to do this with 6lb test and a crappy jig? He fought this fish for 30 min or so. There was one jack hole that got impatient and decided he would continue to fish. To this day I do not know why we didn't through him in. He got tangled and the fish was lost and the fight was over. If you do have to fish close give respect and wait your turn.

I do stay as curtius as possible when fishing I don't mind fishing with other people as long as all are friendly. If there is no other option I will go talk to the people fishing an area before I even think of fishing it if the people there are not so friendly I accept it and move on.

J
JeannaJigs
I was just thinking about this subject again today, when I was fishing a very wide open gravel bar...roughly 200 feet in length, easy to bring in a boat anywhere along the entire stretch....and I had a GUIDE's drift boat pull in 10 feet above me, when they saw I was casting upstream with floats...they had been anchored upstream a good 30 minutes before coming in. Fortunately they were in and out relatively quick, but what gives, not the best etiquette. I always avoid combat fishing at all costs.

T
TTFishon
Last summer when my wife and I were camping at Wickiup a man and a woman parked their pickup on the beach right in front of our camp and fished right where I was fishing for a couple of hours. The woman kept walking around near our camp looking at our stuff. My wife says I'm paranoid, but I think they were looking to steal something. It just doesn't make much sense to me why they would do this.

Bass Man
Bass Man
Hey Chromatose,

I've been finding myself asking that same question..Doesn't any body work any more? :lol: I usually fish Thursday-Saturday on my days off and it's surprising the number of anglers out fishing on the weekdays like myself, maybe they are asking the same question when they see me!

Like you said as well as some of the other posts on here, it all comes down to what a person has been taught when it comes to fishing etiquette. What gets me is when other anglers won't ask you if they can share a fishing hole with you, they just come in and start fishing as if you weren't standing 10-15 feet away from them. :mad: That's what makes me mad! I know I don't have the right to tell them not to fish. That's the reason I started this thread to get other people's opinions on what they would consider enough space. Most anglers are respectful of others but it's those few you just want to throw in the river:lol:

Bass Man
Bass Man
All you gotta do is ask

All you gotta do is ask

joeyota said:
I do stay as curtius as possible when fishing I don't mind fishing with other people as long as all are friendly. If there is no other option I will go talk to the people fishing an area before I even think of fishing it if the people there are not so friendly I accept it and move on.

Hi Joeyota,
Thank you for replying and offering your advice on this subject. Man I bet that guy was pissed getting tangled up and losing that fish! Heck, I would have enjoyed sitting back and watching him land that big boy!

Even you get it, I don't mind sharing a fishin' hole as long as people ask when I feel they are trying to fish too close to me. If they ask me and I feel we can all fish without it causing issues like getting tangled up then sure..go for it. I'll do the same thing when it comes to asking other anglers if I can fish near them, I usually try to avoid it and move on but with limited fishing spots at certain locations it can be hard.

Last edited:
Bass Man
Bass Man
some people!

some people!

JeannaJigs said:
I was just thinking about this subject again today, when I was fishing a very wide open gravel bar...roughly 200 feet in length, easy to bring in a boat anywhere along the entire stretch....and I had a GUIDE's drift boat pull in 10 feet above me, when they saw I was casting upstream with floats...they had been anchored upstream a good 30 minutes before coming in. Fortunately they were in and out relatively quick, but what gives, not the best etiquette. I always avoid combat fishing at all costs.

Nope, not the best etiquette JeannaJigs. Seems like that guide should have know better then to pull in so close to you. :naughty: Sometimes all you can do is avoid combat fishing, be the better person:clap:

Guess this guide forgot a couple golden rules:
We treat other anglers, boaters and other people we might meet in the field with courtesy and respect.

Bass Man
Bass Man
TTFishon said:
Last summer when my wife and I were camping at Wickiup a man and a woman parked their pickup on the beach right in front of our camp and fished right where I was fishing for a couple of hours. The woman kept walking around near our camp looking at our stuff. My wife says I'm paranoid, but I think they were looking to steal something. It just doesn't make much sense to me why they would do this.

Morning TTFishon,

That does seem rather odd they would do that and with the woman checking out your stuff, seems like they were up to more than just fishing. You just can't be to careful these days;)

T
TTFishon
Bass Man said:
Morning TTFishon,

That does seem rather odd they would do that and with the woman checking out your stuff, seems like they were up to more than just fishing. You just can't be to careful these days;)

Yeah, it kind of ruined our camping trip. We like to leave our camp and drive around to different places on the lake and I didn't feel comfortable leaving our camp. I guess it didn't really ruin the trip it just ruined that part of the trip.

Chromatose
Chromatose
This is the confluence of the Russian and Kenai River's during the sockeye run during June and July. These pictures and comment were by another member from another board. But it puts things into perspective.

Last edited:
Bass Man
Bass Man
Chromatose said:
This is the confluence of the Russian and Kenai River's during the sockeye run during June and July. These pictures and comment were by another member from another board. But it puts things into perspective.

Thanks for sharing the pics Chromatose. :lol: And to think I was bent out of shape over a few teenagers fishing next to me:rolleyes:

Chromatose
Chromatose
No problem with the pictures. As to the teens, or any one else for that matter. It is all presentation. No pun intended. Well maybe a little.

Take It Easy BassMan.

M
mlw
The golden rule applies - do not crowd another fisherman more than you would like to be crowded. - personally I do not like another angler within 70-80 feet of me and will look for another spot to fish. We have lots of water and there is no excuse for crowding someone - In general I find that young folks are more likely to crowd than older folks, gear fisherman more likely than flyfisherman. Enjoying the experience of fishing is about a lot more than catching fish, being considerate of others ought to be part of that. Chances are no one is going to catch fish, or land them, when fishing on top of each other.
Michael

Chromatose
Chromatose
What I thought to be funny was all the fishermen/women in the boat heading towards the fishing area. They all looked as if they were really going to battle. Amphibious assault?

Bass Man
Bass Man
Now that you mentioned it

Now that you mentioned it

Chromatose said:
What I thought to be funny was all the fishermen/women in the boat heading towards the fishing area. They all looked as if they were really going to battle. Amphibious assault?

I guess that's why they call it combat fishing:lol: