banjo minnow

T
Thuggin4Life
Oh thought you might have got a little aluminum. I wonder why my buddy's minnows are all green?

T
TTFishon
Thuggin4Life said:
Oh thought you might have got a little aluminum. I wonder why my buddy's minnows are all green?

I have a 12ft aluminum too. I only paid $150 for it. It came with a an electric minn kota, four flotation devices, a 2 horse gas motor, and oars. I couldn't pass up that deal.

T
Thuggin4Life
TTFishon said:
I have a 12ft aluminum too. I only paid $150 for it. It came with a an electric minn kota, four flotation devices, a 2 horse gas motor, and oars. I couldn't pass up that deal.

That's a deal. I had a smaller 12' Aluminum but is wasn't that stable. But I paid 125 and it worked well for a year. It was hard to stand up but you could, just not on the seats. My new 12' it would be hard to tip over. And you can run on the seats. Check my albums I wonder which boat is closer to the one you have.

T
TTFishon
Yeah, my 12 footer isn't very stable either. I use a 9.9 horse Yamaha with it and it can be scary at times. The sides aren't that high and if the person sitting up front leans too much a bunch of water will get in the boat. The motor's a little too much for it. Still fun though.

T
TTFishon
Your boats look a lot more stable than my 12 footer does. I'll post some pics of my boats later.

T
Thuggin4Life
Yeah I wish I had a bigger motor for mine. We put it on my buddy's (Riversidkid) 10' aluminum jon boat. One of the scariest rides I have ever been on. I also have pics of the old one. Probably more similar to yours. Did you get the minnows of of t.v. or can you get them in a store?

O
OBP Turtle 33
Most bass in Rivers do not eat as much smolt as everyone thinks they do. By the time bass are activly chasing bait fish in rivers most of the smolt are long gone. Bass also live in different habitat in rivers than any smolt, the species that needs to worry the most about being eaten are Spotted or Speckled Dace, Red Sided or any other shiner, and of course crawfish. I have done stomach sample anaylisis on smallmouth with the Forest Service so I have seen first hand the diet of these fish "Crawfish". Bass are here to stay no matter how many you kill so might as well sit back and enjoy them. Bass are also some of the finer fish to eat most reservoirs and rivers are fine to eat them although some rivers should be avoided like the larger ones. Ponds suck for eating bass cause morons decide to throw there old line, cups, and eny other trash that is just as worthless as they are on the bank and pollute the water something fierce.

The Banjo Minnow is great bait if used at the right time of year and I have used the same rigging with different lures for great success.

T
TTFishon
Thuggin4Life said:
Yeah I wish I had a bigger motor for mine. We put it on my buddy's (Riversidkid) 10' aluminum jon boat. One of the scariest rides I have ever been on. I also have pics of the old one. Probably more similar to yours. Did you get the minnows of of t.v. or can you get them in a store?

TV

F
FishSlayer420
Bass is really good meat. I caught one out of Fern Ridge way before this warm weather got here and i stuffed that 4lb full of onion and bacon and jalepeno juice with a llittle butter to. Let me tell you that was one good fish.

O
OBP Turtle 33
Dont kill big ones they dont taste as good and they are way to important 10"-14" are good sizes to take out some Lakes have a 12-15inch size that you cannot take for trophy management many however do not. Dont kill big fish 4lbrs should be let swim and if its a fish of a life time get weight and pics and a replica mount will suit you well.

T
Thuggin4Life
OBP Turtle 33 said:
Dont kill big ones they dont taste as good and they are way to important 10"-14" are good sizes to take out some Lakes have a 12-15inch size that you cannot take for trophy management many however do not. Dont kill big fish 4lbrs should be let swim and if its a fish of a life time get weight and pics and a replica mount will suit you well.

I think I'd rather take a 4lb er home to eat than 4 1lb ers. I go salmon/steelhead fishing so I don't have to go out and catch my daily limit 4 days in a row of trout. As for the Banjo minnow does anyone have the phone number haven't seen the ad in a long time.

H
Hawk
The 1 pound bass is tender & tastes better. It takes a smallmouth a long time tobe a 4 lber in most waterways. catch&release for the enjoyment of the future youngsters to be caught again.

O
OBP Turtle 33
If you have so many big salmon why take home a 4lb bass, you obviously dont need the meat? Killing any bass over 3lbs is wrong I have never killed a bass from a reservoir or pond and I dont plan too. If you can't catch 4 1lbrs than im not to worried about you getting a 4 any how.

DONT KILL BIG BASS

A 4lb Smallmouth is probably 8-10 years old it doesn't have much time left why kill it?

T
Thuggin4Life
Sorry I thought we were talking about eating largemouth. Haven't caught many smallies. I never said I have been catching a lot of salmon just i prefer to eat and fish for them. And I catch plenty of 1lb largemouth and I know spots where I can catch plenty of 3 to 5 lb largemouth bass. so to eat one maybe once a year isn't that big of a deal. Also I would rather kill one fish and make a meal than several to make a meal. Thanks for the link I always seem to forget about google.

O
OBP Turtle 33
I am talking largemouth smallmouth whatever either should not be killed when they get to a larger size more fish(eggs/fry) will come from 1 4lber than 5 1lbers as the larger females eggs are more likely to survive.

H
halibuthitman
banjo

banjo

I have caught a ton of fish on the first generation banjo minnow, even a steelhead ( smallmouth by-catch ) but the new ones kind of require too much techniqe and I don't take bassin that serious, more a crime of opportunity for me on slow trout days. So, I was also wondering.. rednecks and gangstas are not native to oregon, sooooo if I see one fishing should I wack it in the head and throw it in the grass?:shock:

Reactions: Troutski
Troutski
Troutski
Funny stuff...

Funny stuff...

halibuthitman said:
I have caught a ton of fish on the first generation banjo minnow, even a steelhead ( smallmouth by-catch ) but the new ones kind of require too much techniqe and I don't take bassin that serious, more a crime of opportunity for me on slow trout days. So, I was also wondering.. rednecks and gangstas are not native to oregon, sooooo if I see one fishing should I wack it in the head and throw it in the grass?:shock:

As a moderator I am not allowed to show such clever sarcasm so when someone like you comes along I feel obliged to say "Thank YOU". You made my day, not sure how familiar you are with moderating a web site like this, but one must read each and every thread to keep the children calm and on subject. So I get far to many chances to be a true smart @$$ at times, in fact one out of every 4 post deserves a quick quip. That being said...again thanks:clap: :clap:
If you send me your mailing address I will personally send you a couple of free OFF stickers.

Chuck

C
c_13_b
Thats b.s....

Thats b.s....

osmosis said:
if your catching them in places like the willamette or any river for the matter, specifically rivers with salmon/steelhead or even trout runs you should do Oregon the justice of killing them whether you plan to eat them or not.
They are a non native invasive species and are much more vicious a predator than squawfish that we have all tagged as so terrible (even though squaws are native). They are not supposed to be here, so I go out of my way to make sure every one I land dies. and becomes fertilizer on the bank so that atleast they will benefit oregon in one way.

Neither smallmouth or largemouth belong on a table unless you are in a survival situation in my honest opinion.

I am a pure sports fisherman. I love to trout, bass, shad, crappie, bluegill, salmon, steelhead, sturgeon fish. I only c&r (95% of time) except for legal salmon/steelhead/sturgeon. I would never throw a damn fish on the bank if I were not to eat it. That is total b.s. and I can't believe you aren't gettin an ass chewing for that comment. I know there are plenty of bass fisherman out there that would agreee with me. You need to think about that next time you catch a bass. Bass fishing is just as important to me as any other sport fishing, you will never catch me wasting a bass, let alone any other type of fish.

As for trout, salmon, steelhead runs the bass don't really effect them. The fish spawn way further up so bass shouldn't be the problem during spawn. How would you like it if I decided I didn't like salmon and just starting throwing any one I caught on the bank for a worthless reason?

Reactions: colt
H
halibuthitman
cause nobody cares

cause nobody cares

well I think the lack of an a@# chewin is becouse nobody cares about some shade tree biologist removing 4 smallmouths a year, good science, proud of ya. You will never undo what man has done, bass are here so go on out and buy a metalic flaked rootbeer brown fiberglass bass boat and start fishin! I personaly think its funny how queer guys get over bass fishin, turkey huntin and callin elk and only a very bored individual would even start a fight with a bass fisherman. And next time someone wants to start citing diminished salmon runs just drive up to someone at PGE and start woopin a$% cause those are the boys with the most blood on there hands. And oh yea, once I caught a 30 lb nook with a 4 inch bass in its mouth so bass guys better start stompin nooks cause they are wipin ya out. :mad: