Worst Backlash Ever!

T
Troutier Bassier
I got the worst backlash ever yesterday, my friend said if there was a backlash contest I would get 1st place!:lol:
But anyways dose anyone know how to get them out quickly with MONOFILAMENT line? Or dose anyone know how to prevent them???
Thaks

B
beaverfan
It's very easy to get them out quicly and easily! Just cut the line and your losses and start over! :dance:
I hate those things, I used to mess with them until I would just get pi**ed and cut the line so now I just cut the line.

Last edited by a moderator:
O
osmosis
you learn how to pick up the loops. The worst thing you can do is to pull on the end hard.

by the way if your getting backlashes often either you've got a clumsy thumb or you have not set your brake correctly.
If your getting them on a spinning reel the #1 reason is because the spool is overfilled.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
The thing to keep in mind with backlashing is it's next to impossible for the line to actually form a true knot as there are no open ends. You can come pretty close to making a knot if you pull hard on anything, but for the most part it is just loops laying over loops.

Click your bail and start pulling line out through the line guide as you normally would if you needed more slack. When it binds up roll your spool back and locate exactly where it is tangled, gently pull the loops out until it frees up and repeat the process.

T
Troutier Bassier
I know how to do the brske and stuff. Its just every once in a while I get backlashed. but never like this.

D
Drice
I would like to see one of those slow motion high speed camera shots of a backlash so that We could see the anatomy of what actually happens with all the loops and junk that happens to the line. I always wonder how do you get knots when the end of the line is out in the lake?

T
the_intimidator03
shall we try and get them to do that on time warp?

N
ninja2010
one thing i'd like to add, as an aid to avoid backlashes, is this...

if your reel has a levelwind (the gizmo in front of the spool that travels left and right as you reel in line), then you have an additional culprit that can raise the chances of a backlash. this is especially true for reels that freespool when the thumbbar is depressed (most reels). older reels do not freespool and the levelwind actually travels left and right as the line shoots out...

anyways, one thing to check before whipping out that lure, is the position of that levelwind... if it's all the way to either side (left or right), then the line on the opposite end of your spool will have an almost 90 degree angle of travel as it's trying to shoot out. this slows down the line, and as the spool keeps spinning freely in the cast, you'll have more line coming off the spool than is actually shooting through the guides - hence the backlash.

if i see my levelwind parked too near the edge as i'm about to cast, i'd lock the reel, pull out some line and reel it back so the levelwind moves more to the middle. sometimes i forget to check... and that's when it happens.

if someone wants to make a lot of money, they can design a levelwind that actually flips down or even slides down as one depresses the thumbbar, thus allowing the line to just shoot freely through the guides while casting, that can then be locked back into position as the handle is cranked. :D

Last edited:
T
the_intimidator03
similar in function to the spinning reals and the bail's. im sure it wouldnt be "hard" to do...

S
Seon
I use one of those miniature screw driver that's used on eye glasses. I pick at the line that's coming through the level wind and work it out. As for preventing the backlash, when casting, keep your thumb on the spool and at the moment your sinker/lure hits the water, apply pressure on the spool, then release the pressure so the sinker/lure sinks. Good luck.

T
Troutier Bassier
Thank All of You!
A lot of help and tips.