Want Some Gas...

S
Shadelady
OK so i got a free motor off of freecycles... its a 1973 Sea King 7hp. so i went out and bout new gas and Outboard oil and after reading everything i can on the internet, its the wrong oil... supposed to use chainsaw oil. i have no idea the wide world of difference. in the meantime i emailed the fella who gave me the motor to ask him what he had used.

S
SNDSLGR
2 stroke oil is all you need, dont matter if it says chainsaw or outboard on it. I built 2 stroke motors for years and while I have my preferences, any will work. Mix it at 40:1 or 50:1 and off you go. I like 40:1 for outboards.

Go buy 2 spark plugs for it, put one in and keep the other (with a plug wrench) with you at ALL times. The day you use that one go buy another etc... spark plugs are expendible items in older 2 strokes, lucky for you they are cheap.

S
Shadelady
ok well i emailed the fellow who gave me the motor and he had used Outboard oil, so i think i am alright there. my next maneuver is to get the transom wood back in my boat and then get the motor running.

my brother took a few hours and cleaned the carb real good for me. I'll be getting a new spark plug. if i am still unsuccessful what would you recomend next?

A
ArcticAmoeba
2 Strokes are pretty simple. I have only owned one outboard, but I have rallied 250, 2-smokers my whole life, and normally if they turn over, but won't start... It is ignition, or fuel. Check the fuel system. Make sure the petcock isn't all "bunged" up, or clogged, and check to see if the lines are good, then the carb, but it is probably good to go now. Check your plug, wire, all connections, ect. as well. Those are the two primary issues I've had with running 2 strokes, both from a boat, and attached to wheels in various configurations. Hope you get it motorin about soon.

S
Shadelady
ok, after hugging and loving and tugging on the motor its now starting up and running. i need to replace the gas line from the tank to the motor, not a big deal. and i think once thats done i should be good to go. too bad there are only so many hours in a day. i didn't get the wood back in yet as i wanted to getit good and coated with some plasitc varnish.oh and i have to finish wiring the lights. if tomorrow is a good smooth day, theres a chance it will all be done. here's to hoping

S
Shadelady
i've got 4 screws on this motor that wont budge, which is weird as theres little to no rust or corrosion. i have tried tighening to break it loose; hammer smacking it; PB Blaster; Robo Grips on the head itself; and my mountain Man brother. is there anything anyone else knows of short of drilling them out?

H
Hawk
Shadelady said:
i've got 4 screws on this motor that wont budge, which is weird as theres little to no rust or corrosion. i have tried tighening to break it loose; hammer smacking it; PB Blaster; Robo Grips on the head itself; and my mountain Man brother. is there anything anyone else knows of short of drilling them out?

I have an impact screw(Driver)...you tap on the head with a hammer & the slot or phillips driver turns clockwise or counter-clockwise (for tight screws).
Maybe u can borrow one or rent from a rental place.

another idea- is there a chance that these screws loosen turning clockwise ???

Best O Luck to you...........................:)

S
Shadelady
Hawk, i might have to see about borrowing my dad's compressor so i can do the impact thing... as for reversing it, we tried that too. the whole thing seems weird to me. am off to get it a whirl...

H
Hawk
the Driver i have is manual. I tap it with a Hammer. It's Not the compressor type.

S
Seefood Man
Shadelady said:

Chances they are "galled". Steel screws in aluminum over a period of time will "fuse" together. Question is, do they really have to come out?
If the location allows you can take a heat gun, NOT a torch, and gently warm up the surrounding area that the bolts are in. That is if you can get to them. Remove ALL FUEL!!!!!!!!!! FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a good link
removing a galled engine bolt - Moderated Discussion Areas

Last edited:
S
Shadelady
after some other messing about, i have decided those bolts dont need to come out just yet. but if it comes around again (i have no doubt it will) i'll go with heat and impact.
we can get the motor running but not smoothly. it'll start and run sometimes for a full minute and sometimes for only a few seconds... very frustrated right now. we have been adjusting the heck out of the carb and have yet to find anything that gets it right.

S
Seefood Man
2 strokes need a high compression ratio. From the sounds of it, I think the next step would be to do a compression test. Your comment
"we can get the motor running but not smoothly" would indicate to me that there would be a compression issue, especially with the age of the motor.

H
Hawk
A 1973 outboard probably has ignition points. If it does they mite need adjustment or to be replaced...

There is a pretty good chance summthin' in the carb is plugged up & it needs to be rebuilt. If u decide to rebuild it yerself..

get a carb rebuild kit
take pictures as u take carb apart so u can put it back together correctly
soak carb & parts in a commercial carb cleaner
make sure carb kit parts are the same as yours
carefully put carb back together.

Best of Luck................:D

S
Shadelady
Seefood- what are the chances i can just use a soldering iron to heat it up?

Hawk- we have had the whole carb apart and cleaned it up real good. My brother is a wizard with that sort of thing- too bad i have such a hard time getting him over here. am trying to get him for a few more hours.

here's the weirdest thing- it'll be running fiarly smoothly and then just stumble, then recover and run pretty smoothly- then stumble again. this goes on until it just doesn't recover or until i think its had enough time to warm up and i close the choke- it has never been wormed up enought for that.

i am also wondering if my fuel mix ratio is all wrong. i have read that it should be anywhere from 16:1 to 50:1. i am also wondering the effects of ethanol that the gas stations are using now.

thanks for the ideas guys- keep them coming! i am hoping once i get this old girl reliable i can get in the rivers and the bays with a bit of confidence.

S
Shadelady
the bolts are holding the pull start assemply on.

i've got the fuel line / bulb going the right way- just saw someone else get that backwards a week or so ago. the bolts- they are screws actually, are quite accessable- no issue there.

i've got a call in to Big Brother- in the meantime i might just either go stand on the dock and see how it goes or maybe put the (electric) trolling motor back on.

side note- went to a few garage sales yesterday- scored a Shimano Quickfire 2 and a Shimano Aerocast II- on a Lamiglas!! PLus some wader, and a small cooler full of tackle all for less than $20!! so either way, i am feeling good!!

S
Shadelady
well, i can try to leanout the gas, and i can check the spark gap. there is no fuel filter and the report from both my brother and my girlfriend is that the reeds are questionable. if i can get her to run right and proper i'll get her a fuel filter, but not before.
i didn't mess with her at all today. i tried a bunch of the "new" garage sale gear i got- i pulled a 12 inch trout out- by accident. i had my weight clpped on fixed at the swivel and about a 3 foot leader. i kept trying to get my line taut and it kept going slack- mind you there was a LOT of wind. so i finally brought it in and sure enough, Fish On! too funny.

S
Shadelady
ok, so we took the carb apart again... and it seems there was some water in there. got all new gas again, mixed it thinner with some marine Stablil, and i think we have her dialed in. true test will be letting her sit and get good and cold and then trying her again tomorrow.
we finally got those blasted screws out and it turns out there was nothing terribly intereting under there- but it was nice to be able to get them loose. we went with impact route. hopefully we'll have her in the water on weds. got too much going on the next couple of days.

gotta say, thanks for the ideas and the support- hopefully i'll only need to post here one more time saying how great she does.

H
Hawk
Sounds Reel Great Sis................................:D:D:D.......................:cool::cool::cool:

S
Shadelady
ok well we are going to call the motor a success. she is still super touchy to start (anywhere from 10-20 pulls) and has to be thrown into gear once she threatens to run. but once under way she runs pretty darned good. i am thinking its just a few more smaller adjustments of the carb to get her to start easier.

thanks again for all the advice and ecouragement.

and if anyone has a 9.9 from the 1990's or newer for sale... i'd be interested. i am pretty sure that once we sell the Big boat we'll get a nice newer 4 stroke electric start- in the meantime this is good for learning.

we spent about 4 hours on the lake and only hooked up with 2 my girlfriends got lost at the boat and mine was abour 12 inches of breakfast.