Shad 2009 Kickoff!

F
FishSchooler
Numbers are already in the 800s! My dad's collegue (a fishing guide apparently!) said hes catching them already, like 20 a day on the columbia.
I might even head out for some earlies on friday evening at meldrum bar or Clackamette park! :dance:

T
Troutier Bassier
Where should I go if I want to catch them???? I can go pretty much anywhere! so are there any spots FROM Shore that I can go to.

T
The Nothing
Any place its rocky should hold shad. they like the rocks

I built a bunch of lures yesterday
thinking of trying a couple spots tomorrow

A
Anyfishisfine
It looks like the numbers are doubling daily. I need to catch some shad this year. I never have.

T
The Nothing
you'll probably not see a whole lot of people going nuts until they hit 4000. So, probably this weekend :D

P
plunkme
i hope counts get to 10000+ next weekend im heading to robin island if it is then once it gets to 50000+ probably try clackamette park

A
Anyfishisfine
So when will it be worth trying around OC? What count should we be holding out for? 50K?

T
The Nothing
almost 1500 yesterday as I expected. We'll definitely hit 4k by the weekend. I'm going today to try a couple spots. I know Bonny and OC are favorite spots, but a bit of a trek for me. Hoping I can find some places within Portland City Limits...

T
Troutier Bassier
Good Shad Fishing Website For Begginers! Bonneville shore spots and shore fishing guide TOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
T
The Nothing
yeah LeeRoy's Ramblings have some GREAT information on a lot of different fisheries.

T
The Nothing
spent a few hours so far trying a couple "this should be good" spots on the C and came up blank. Home for lunch and thinking about trying a few on the Willy...

P
PDXKush
Shad are coming quickly. My buddy who is a guide does Shadnook fishing where you have bait for shad and bait for nooks on the same line and its usually shad...shad..shad...Then a monster Nook and its too much fun I can;t wait. He told me Lucky Dick Nite's are a guaranteed killer for shad. Good luck everyone.

M
madoc
I may head out this evening to try for some. Might as well get out there now, and avoid the shoulder to shoulder crap.

P
PDXKush
Man does it really get shoulder to shoulder out there??? I can't do crowds. I'm going to have to look into hidden spots.

A
Anyfishisfine
Who carries Dick Nites? I haven't looked hard, but I haven't seen any. I need to go shopping.

A
Anyfishisfine
PDXKush said:
Man does it really get shoulder to shoulder out there??? I can't do crowds. I'm going to have to look into hidden spots.

I hear ya. I always end up feeling like an idiot when I foul up the old-timer's line.

Give me a place to make a fool of myself in private.

M
madoc
Anyfishisfine said:
I hear ya. I always end up feeling like an idiot when I foul up the old-timer's line.

Give me a place to make a fool of myself in private.

Fisherman's and Sportsmans have them - Sportsman's in Clackamas has a whole section next to their spinner components devoted to shad darts and dick nites.

I've seen plenty of "ol-timers" make fools of themselves, so I don't feel bad about it.

F
FishFinger
PDXKush said:

Sometimes watching the "old timers" can be helpful in developing ones techniques.

Guerrilla fishing is part of the game these days when your confined to the banks of public land. Shad would be a great fish to target while learning how to hone your urban angler combat skillz, especially if your rhythmic drifting with the masses...

These fish are totally insane, fight like steelhead. Nobody gets mad about the occasional tangle when the fishing is on.

These fish are mainly bass food and I wouldn't eat one unless I was totally coming out of the wild; eating porcupines and spawned out salmon and such...:shock:

T
The Nothing
FishFinger said:
eating porcupines and spawned out salmon and such...:shock:

they said both were taste...
though that silver was totally the wrong color - inside and out

F
FishSchooler
At bradfort island, it can get a leeltle crowded, but the stretch that is very steep and rocky that is straight from the dam is usually not crowded, but the current also can screw up your line. Maybe I should use a double hook rig... :dance:
It takes time getting use to where all the snags are and how not to get snagged. Heres my general tip: the closer to the bank the lure is, the faster you reel.
There are lost jig heads all over the place, and last year, I even found half a fly rod and like 200 feet of fly line! :dance:
If there is no one around you, take a net and sweep it around in the water as far as you can reach and you might get a few free jigs. In the afternoon, there is no crowd.