how to make a sturgeon hooks

S
sirsnagalot
can anyone point me in the right direction or at least give me a run down on how to make these bad boys. I'd like to make my own and not have to buy them premade. Although there isn't anything wrong with buying the premade i think its just better in the long run if I knew how to make my own.

O
osmosis
if you mean making leaders, I use #50 mono or #80 braid and it's just an eggloop that we tie on the shank of the hook.. Just give yourself a decent sized bumper on the knot (8 wraps or more).
I dont know anyone that makes their own hooks except for folks in dire survival situations.

T
Troutier Bassier
Dittow. I use Brads 50lbs Braided for leaders.

T
The Nothing
50# braid here too
I tend to tie all my leaders extra long, that way I can adjust to fit whatever i choose to use as bait. When you're halfhitching the whole lenth of a good size baitfish you end up using a lot of line :D

F
Fish Fight
Buy some Gami or Owner barbless hooks, I use 70 - 100 lb dacron leader. It's a bigger diameter and holds scent good. Sturg are not leader shy. I like a heavy leader for the abrasion factor. I tie mine with a Uni Knot. It leaves a smaller foot print when pulling it through bait and is a very strong knot.

F
Fishtopher
90lb Dacron for me. Plus a Poor Mans Egg Loop, divided by 7/0 Gamakatsu's equals Fish On.