Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelhead worms

V.I.P. Top Author

Steelhead worms

I made up some steelhead worms last night. They are around 2.5 to 3 inches long. They're soaking in shrimp scent now. What do you think?
    http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/q...n/100_3246.jpg

Those look nice! Steelhead would hit that because Its the first time its seen something like that. Do they float?
    Please check out my Blog! http://www.fishoregon.blogspot.com/

V.I.P. Top Author
    Quote Originally Posted by Troutier Bassier View Post
    Those look nice! Steelhead would hit that because Its the first time its seen something like that. Do they float?
    I'm pretty sure they float. Is it better if they float? I just checked them and yes they do float.
    Last edited by TTFishon; 01-26-2010 at 02:48 PM. Reason: checked worms

V.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by TTFishon View Post
    I'm pretty sure they float. Is it better if they float? I just checked them and yes they do float.
    If you are bobber fishing... you don't want them to float
    If you are drift fishing... yes you want them to float
    If you are plunking... yes you want them to float

listen to the kid whos never caught a steelhead...

Yes its better, I think. Cause you can do more with them and they look more natural then sinking ones do.
    And You can still bobber fish with them if you put them on a jig head.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSchooler View Post
    If you are bobber fishing... you don't want them to float
    If you are drift fishing... yes you want them to float
    If you are plunking... yes you want them to float
    I disagree when float fishing. Its not bad to have them float and sometimes I think its better. You can set your leader to two or three feet and have no weight on your leader. Use the weight above your leader as your depth gauge and try to get it close to the bottom, then you leader will swing around down towards the bottom and the floating worm will move around in the current like a natural worm would. Works pretty good from what I hear!

V.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by steelhead_stalkers View Post
    I disagree when float fishing. Its not bad to have them float and sometimes I think its better. You can set your leader to two or three feet and have no weight on your leader. Use the weight above your leader as your depth gauge and try to get it close to the bottom, then you leader will swing around down towards the bottom and the floating worm will move around in the current like a natural worm would. Works pretty good from what I hear!
    Yea I agree.. I have caught them on the worm like that. I basically drift fish them with a float. Slinky weight and float to match water condition and just barely tap bottom or just off bottom with a floating worm. Works great!
    Done on OFF.

V.I.P.
    If I am thinking of you are meaning... that would probably give a better presentation, but there is a much larger chance of not seeing the bobber go down when you get a bite, because the slack that the floating worm has built.

Do natural worms float? nooooo
    we probably have some genetically altered worms that do float... technology these days :rolleyes:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike123 View Post
    Yea I agree.. I have caught them on the worm like that. I basically drift fish them with a float. Slinky weight and float to match water condition and just barely tap bottom or just off bottom with a floating worm. Works great!
    when you say float are you talking about a bobber or a corkie?
    I'm assuming bobber.

V.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by joni View Post
    when you say float are you talking about a bobber or a corkie?
    I'm assuming bobber.
    Yea bobber... I say float cause bobber just reminds me of those plastic red and white ones we used as kids.
    Done on OFF.

Yea bobber... I say float cause bobber just reminds me of those plastic red and white ones we used as kids.
    Keep Laughing Mike...

im not a kid but bobbers and worms work great imo.. might wanna give it a try for old time sakes lol

ok cool so why not just drift fish instead of drift fish with a bobber?

V.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by joni View Post
    ok cool so why not just drift fish instead of drift fish with a bobber?
    Slow water or deep pools... you could just use a couple split shot, but I just prefer a float.

TB... sorry to offend you, are those the kind of bobbers you use?
    Done on OFF.

V.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Throbbit _Shane View Post
    im not a kid but bobbers and worms work great imo.. might wanna give it a try for old time sakes lol
    I use bobber and worms all the time! I use 1/8oz west coast slip floats! They don't tangle and you can fish whatever depth you want!
    Done on OFF.

I use bobber and worms all the time! I use 1/8oz west coast slip floats! They don't tangle and you can fish whatever depth you want!
    Im gonna start using those too. I wish that outdoors place didnt close so damn early.

V.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Throbbit _Shane View Post
    Im gonna start using those too. I wish that outdoors place didnt close so damn early.
    Yea I hate those dam clip on ones! If you don't fling it out there jussssttt right, they tangle all up. Plus you can only fish like 5ft max...
    Done on OFF.

Experienced Member
    your right or should i say that is the most productive and natural way to fish them i know a lot of guides and top pros that only fish there worms that way or with a white pearl jig head that is how i perfer to fish them

and fish schooler in the river where you would be fishing a pink worm they do float well at least they float up in the curent of the water they are so lite they just float up and wigle all around in the curent
    or so that is what i have sean

Slow water or deep pools... you could just use a couple split shot, but I just prefer a float.

TB... sorry to offend you, are those the kind of bobbers you use?
    HAHAHAHAHA! No, I'm not much of a bobber guy, But if I was I would have a tackle box full of those things.
    When fishing with a fly rod, Clip one onto your swivel and you have a bobber and jig with a fly rod, Plus, There cheap and easy to see.

V.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Troutier Bassier View Post
    HAHAHAHAHA! No, I'm not much of a bobber guy, But if I was I would have a tackle box full of those things.
    When fishing with a fly rod, Clip one onto your swivel and you have a bobber and jig with a fly rod, Plus, There cheap and easy to see.
    I usually use a big orange corkie for fly rod bobber and peg it with a toothpick.. that's works pretty well.
    Done on OFF.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fishing in Willamette Zone
Fishing in Northwest Oregon
Fishing in Southwest Oregon
Fishing in Central Oregon
Fishing in Northeast Oregon
Fishing in Southeast Oregon
Salt Water Fishing in Oregon
Fishing outside Oregon
Steelhead Fishing in Oregon
Salmon Fishing in Oregon