Catfish fishing around Eugene

F
Fishtopher
Haha! Sweet. Don't give up man, they are in there! I watched a guy kick his shoes off, and "pick" the line with his toe every few seconds, about 10 minutes in, he hooked up with the first Channel I saw pulled from there. I havent gone that far yet.

don't throw those Pikeminnow back in. If you feel bad about wasting them, let me know, I have use for them.

J
JPHedberg
Fishtopher said:
Haha! Sweet. Don't give up man, they are in there! I watched a guy kick his shoes off, and "pick" the line with his toe every few seconds, about 10 minutes in, he hooked up with the first Channel I saw pulled from there. I havent gone that far yet.

don't throw those Pikeminnow back in. If you feel bad about wasting them, let me know, I have use for them.

I have just been throwing them on the bank, no mercy for pike minnows! :D

What do you do with them?

F
Fishtopher
Garden nutrients. Ok Crawdad bait too.

O
osmosis
crab love 'em too.
as Fishtopher mentioned they make great fertilizer just like Bass. dig a 1ft deep hole, Stick 'em in the ground, fill the hole back up about halfway and put some veggies on top of them. Talk about tomatoes growing like wildfire.

F
FishSchooler
My mom says that using fish/fish parts attracts all sorts of bugs and causes maggots to grow... not to mention the stench. I still want to do it though!

C
catch me kate
Eugene cats

Eugene cats

I don't know about Eugene, but here's my sweet fellow from Sunday night on the Willamette up here in Portland/Lake Oswego. My husband thought he was a channel cat but looking at the ODFW pics, I'm not so sure. He was crazy bright yellow though--I was blown away when I pulled him out of the water. He was really fun to catch-- a good fighter. Caught with just a nasty old worm.

Good luck!

Kate

Last edited by a moderator:
A
Anyfishisfine
catch me kate said:
I don't know about Eugene, but here's my sweet fellow from Sunday night on the Willamette up here in Portland/Lake Oswego. My husband thought he was a channel cat but looking at the ODFW pics, I'm not so sure. He was crazy bright yellow though--I was blown away when I pulled him out of the water. He was really fun to catch-- a good fighter. Caught with just a nasty old worm.

Good luck!

Kate

I watched someone catch a whole stringer of those at Willamette park and take them home for dinner. Adventures in heavy metal.

I think that's a brown catfish AKA bullhead.

T
Troutier Bassier
Yep Bullhead. Easy to catch. Im 100% sure It swallowed the hook?!?!

If you want to try to catch these fellas. buy those snelled leaders from wallamart and clip them on to your swivel. Then when a cat swalloes it, Just snap of the leader and tye on a new one and while its in the water remove the hook from the one you just caught.

C
Chief Jim
PDX Catfish

PDX Catfish

FishKiller23 said:
i'd like to go as well any one know a real good spot in portland area?

Try Sauvie Island and/or Multinomah Channel. I've caught a lot of bullheads (not to be confused with the ones caught in the ocean) in the Gilbert River (that drains Sturgeon Lake) and several channel cats (one weighing over 6 lbs.)
Also take a drive down Hwy 30 and try any of the backwaters/sloughs from Rainier west, including, Westport Slough, Blind Slough and Brownsmead Slough.
All of these are also good for crappie, bluegill, yellow perch, carp, warmouth perch and smallmouth bass. Blind Slough holds the record for yellow perch at something over 5 lbs. and also has a run of searun cuts in the Spring.
Hope this helps.
Chief Jim