they finally showin upper willamette

F
Finneus Polebender
Riverfisher saved the skunk today with this 12 lb chinook .We had an awesome day thanks again Rob always a blast fishin with ya FP Oh and P.S> he landed it on a steelhead rod with 10 lb test nicely done!

Last edited by a moderator:
M
MJBSN2
What do people use in upper for salmon/steelhead ??? I go out of newberg about 3 times a week and always see a lot of boats but have never asked...
Maybe i will go for it this week ????

NICE FISH BY THE WAY !!!!

F
Finneus Polebender
MJBSN2 said:
What do people use in upper for salmon/steelhead ??? I go out of newberg about 3 times a week and always see a lot of boats but have never asked...
Maybe i will go for it this week ????

NICE FISH BY THE WAY !!!!

We are way upper and unfortunately I am an old bass hound . The friend I fish with uses spinners and kwickfish around here for salmon, side drift corky and yarn tipped w/roe, spinners, and cleos for the steelies . the one riverfisher got yesterday while fishin a cleo for steelies go figure that guy can pull marlin from mud puddles. My friend said though rare it is not uncommon to hit steelies runnin salmon gear too so I think its more a put in the time at the right time in the right place as long as you have basic river fishin skills down . Seems to be much more to learn when it come to salmon /steelhead

T
Troutier Bassier
wth kind of a chinook is that? 12lbs???

J
JeannaJigs
Troutier Bassier said:
wth kind of a chinook is that? 12lbs???
That's your average size for the upper willamette and mac springers. 12-15. That's what that is. If you want monster fish, you fish the coastal systems during the fall. By the time they get this far upstream, they're not the prettiest of fish, but oh they are tasty.

Nicely done, I'm hoping to get at least one of those sneaky 'nooks to the bank and onto my grill the next couple of weeks outta the Mac. That is my plan.

F
Finneus Polebender
JeannaJigs said:
That's your average size for the upper willamette and mac springers. 12-15. That's what that is. If you want monster fish, you fish the coastal systems during the fall. By the time they get this far upstream, they're not the prettiest of fish, but oh they are tasty.

Nicely done, I'm hoping to get at least one of those sneaky 'nooks to the bank and onto my grill the next couple of weeks outta the Mac. That is my plan.

I know it wasn't large but I have to say 10-15 lb nooks are best for dining and this one was no exeption absolutely fantastic dinner tonight! Think the bigger they get the more oily they be I could be all wet definitely my personal preference

T
Troutier Bassier
Finneus Polebender said:
I know it wasn't large but I have to say 10-15 lb nooks are best for dining and this one was no exeption absolutely fantastic dinner tonight! Think the bigger they get the more oily they be I could be all wet definitely my personal preference
Same thing for all fish.

K
Kodiak
North fork of the santiam traditionally boots 20lbs as near average. The fish I've seen comming out of our first push are all 10-12#'s, striking fast and short. I miss my bone jaring big fish that swallow eggs with abandon then steal your rod and try to beat you to death with it....where have they gone? perhaps in this next big push of fish.

Nice job on the early springer!