Mountain lakes? (Hemlock, Lake in the Woods)

S
Scarecro
helloguys. ive been browsing the forums for a cpl days and have figured out that you guys know your s#$@. Now me and my work buddy want to go catch some trout this weekend. I was wondering if any lakes up around little river are any good right now. like hemlock or lake in the oods. Or should we just take the extended trip to toketee?

PS we dont got a boat.

thnx.,

Last edited by a moderator:
18406ej
18406ej
Scarecro,

Welcome to OFF. Check your private messages for a short note from me. If you enter "Hemlock" or "Lake of the Woods" into our OFF search engine (located at the top of the page) you will find a lot of info on these two bodies of water.

Good luck and welcome again,

S
Scarecro
thanks ill check that out right away. Just a another question real quick, Are trout scared of the rain or will they still bite?

thnx again.

18406ej
18406ej
You will probably find that this is a point of contention, but I will give you my opinion. I seem to have as good or better luck when fishing in the rain. My best catching day ever was during a downpour. It seems that I have read that fish bite better in the rain, but like I said, there may be differing opinions...

S
Scarecro
I wouldnt have asked you if i didn't care for your opinion ;)

Im a total noob and just started fishing a couple years ago. I dont really know a lot of fisherman in the area. there are a whole lot around here but just not around my circle of friends. I got my work buddy and my brother. So ANY of your guys opinions will hold substance.

Thanks!

D
Drice
18406ej said:
You will probably find that this is a point of contention, but I will give you my opinion. I seem to have as good or better luck when fishing in the rain. My best catching day ever was during a downpour. It seems that I have read that fish bite better in the rain, but like I said, there may be differing opinions...

I agree fully This is the way I look at it. If you think about it it kinda makes sense the rain knocks bugs into the water weather out of the air or washes them off the bank or trees and if there is an abundance of food well why wouldnt they eat? Also, We live in oregon so if a fish is afraid of the rain I think they picked the wrong place to live hehehe. I believe the rain is good fishin even if it isn't the most comfortable all the time.

S
Scarecro
Drice said:
I agree fully This is the way I look at it. If you think about it it kinda makes sense the rain knocks bugs into the water weather out of the air or washes them off the bank or trees and if there is an abundance of food well why wouldnt they eat? Also, We live in oregon so if a fish is afraid of the rain I think they picked the wrong place to live hehehe. I believe the rain is good fishin even if it isn't the most comfortable all the time.

That is a great theory you got. I wont mind it as long as its not pouring.

G
Griz
Rain

Rain

Some of the best fishing I have ever had was in the Rain! I have seen it start to rain and the bite was on! Caught a lot of fish with the help of Rain! :)

S
Scarecro
man i suck at the search thing cuz i couldnt find any info on hemlock or toketee lake. I was just wanting to know if its a waste of time or not to go up this weekend.

18406ej
18406ej
Hemlock was just stocked with 2,500 trout on April 20 (according to ODFW schedule). Older posts say that dry flies were working well from the bank or from a float tube. Lake of the Woods should have been stocked on the same date with 350 trout. I couldn't find any older posts or ODFW info on "Toketee Lake" maybe someone else will chime in?

ODFW stocking schedule for Hemlock and Lake of the Woods is at

Hope this helps.

S
Scarecro
thanks dood! \\

Bookmarked that link! Ill be going up on saturday so ill let you guys know how i fared. Wont be doing much fly fishing so you guys think some spinners or powerbait will be sufficient?

18406ej
18406ej
I am sure either method would work fine- it all depends on the fish's appetite at the time.

Have you ever tried casting flies with your spinning equipment? It can be a lot of fun, and gives you a whole new arsenal to use against the trout when they are hungry for insects.

S
Scarecro
Soooooo. I was on my way up to hemlock lake (bout an hour from my pad) stop at lake in the woods, got snagged up and just said screw it and headed up the road for another 5 miles to hemlock. on the way up we come across this corner with about 2 feet of snow. just the corner! i was like wtf! the rest of the way up was perfect. no shovels or anyone to help. the corner was bout 200 to 300 feet. i sure didn't want to get stuck and it was all slushy as hell. bad news. so had to turn around and hit lake in the woods for a few hours. caught a few nice trout with some worms. rained on us all day off and on. stopped biting around 3 though. We were getting bites almost every cast though.

I tried some spinners and powerbait but they just wanted some of the worms. I think primetime right now would be from 7-12ish. Had fun though. i just brought along my snowboarding jacket so i stayed dry as a nun.

well hope you guys have a good rest of the weekend. hope you slayed a cpl lunkers too.

18406ej
18406ej
Glad you had fun despite the snow and rain. Thanks for the report,

S
Scarecro
Just to let everyone know, hemlock is still not accessible. At one point there were 6 of us shoveling snow to get to the lake. corner after corner we would have to 4x4 through some rough snow drifts. About a mile before the lake was the king snowdrift. No way we were getting through this. TUrned around cuz a dude told me i could get to highway 38 if i took a right on my way down. SO i did it hoping we could get to toketee before it got to late. 8 miles in, another snowdrift. 2 feet of snow at least. so we end up turning around headed for lake in the woods again.

Just like last week, we settle for Lake in the woods. BUt unlike last time, we catch a few more fish. There were people around us catchin some fish too so by th eend of the day it was obvious that the lake had been fished out. Guy next to us told us how he was there yesterday and took home 15. He was cool enough to show us his secret power bait set up cuz i let him borow some line.

once again they stopped biting at around 2:00