Good places to hike and fish?

R
recon8541
Sorry if this has been asked a million times, but I just joined the forum. I will be back in Oregon (Beaverton) from san diego (moved when i joined the marines about 12 years ago) to visit some family and I was hoping to find a place where I can get some backpacking in and some fishing. I will be home in early may for about 2 weeks.

Anywhere that is within a couple hours drive is fine. Any help is greatly appreciated.

jim

T
trout93
id hike into one the high cascade lakes

Troutski
Troutski
Welcome to the site...

Welcome to the site...

recon8541 said:
Sorry if this has been asked a million times, but I just joined the forum. I will be back in Oregon (Beaverton) from san diego (moved when i joined the marines about 12 years ago) to visit some family and I was hoping to find a place where I can get some backpacking in and some fishing. I will be home in early may for about 2 weeks.

Anywhere that is within a couple hours drive is fine. Any help is greatly appreciated.

jim

Welcome recon, to start off thanks for your service. For a bit of backpacking and camping along with some breakfast Trout I would recommend the Erma Bells/Otter lake area. Smack dab in the middle of the French Pete Wilderness area, very Oregon. Again welcome to off...

Chuck

R
recon8541
thanks guys, I will check those out.

Reactions: OnTheFly
M
mark_fishon
I'm thinking that if Recon is planning this for early May, Erma Bell and Otter may have pretty heavy snow on the trail to them.

mark

Reactions: OnTheFly
R
recon8541
6 inches or so would not be too bad, but i am not looking for a snowshoe adventure. I looked at the map and it looks like a nice area, but that is a pretty good drive from beaverton to get there and then not be able to make it in there. If i can't find a place to backpack into, I would like to find a place that won't be too crowded, but then again i will be out there during the week, so at least i won't have to fight the weekend people.

On another note, Is May too late for good steelhead fishing?

mark_fishon said:
I'm thinking that if Recon is planning this for early May, Erma Bell and Otter may have pretty heavy snow on the trail to them.

mark

B
beaverfan
I would try Bloom lake off of Hwy 26 toward Seaside. It is a nice mile and a quarter hike I believe and a beautiful lake.

R
recon8541
I went to lost lake on thursday (couldn't find any info on bloom lake, not sure if it is the same lake), a guy there said they just stocked it again. We just fished off the bank and did fine. I caught 5, my cousin caught 4, and his friend caught a whoppin 17 rainbows in about 3 hours! They were all about 8-12" and we let em all go, but it was a good time.

I was using live crawlers under a bobber, power pait worked well, and the guy that was killing it was using power bait corn floating a couple feet off the bottom.

I had a lot of fun, even though I didn't catch anything that I thought was really worth take home. Thanks for the advice guys.

O
oldhippie
recon8541 said:

jim

First, let me say a heartfelt thank you for your service!

Check out Marion Lake off highway 22.

B
beaverfan
recon8541 said:
I went to lost lake on thursday (couldn't find any info on bloom lake, not sure if it is the same lake)

Congrats on the fish and good time!

They are two seperate lakes. There isn't much of a sign off of hwy. 26 it is probably 10-15 miles West of the cutoff for Lost Lake. There is a HUGE pullout on the left side. Like a semi-truck chaining area or something. Pull off there and you will see the trail head and sign that says bloom lake. It seems to more of a hiking trail, doesn't seem like many fisherpeople in there. I can't remember it's either 1.25 or 1.75 mile hike in with not much of an elevation climb. (At least that's what the sign said.)