One Week Left - Still Skunked

S
Swamp Puppy
got out last week fishing off the bank on a local island. the fish were there, but we got edged out by the hog line guys. the hog line below us was anchored about 50-75 feet farther upriver than usual..and one fella in particular was inside a lot closer to the bank than they usually are. end result, we couldn't fish out as far as we normally would for fear of getting tangled up in his anchor line. in fact, we couldn't fish out much farther than an easy side armed flip would send ya.

we watched as school after school came up river..at least one boat in each hog line hooked up..then the fish skipped us (we were fishing too close) and the guys up the beach a ways would get one. (i saw them put 6 on the beach total. not sure how many they "bonked" )

frustrating for sure. not sure what the "etiquette" is for anchoring up by bank plunkers, but it sure felt like we were getting jobbed by that one guy.

i should have just picked up and hopped in the boat and moved, but i had already put the effort in to be where i was so i just stuck it out.

well...the weather should be good this week. hoping to make it happen then. the quest for my first springer continues....

Last edited:
T
tumblin1
I feel your pain

I feel your pain

I was on the Willy all day Saturday, with many other boats :shock: and I didn't catch or see anybody catch a thing. Hope it will be better this week also. :pray:

N
ninja2010
that's not very nice of the hog liners... i think.

i was out on the willy all afternoon yesterday, and nada. sure would like to get into one before the season packs up...

T
tnffishman
i think i saw you out ther ninja, were you bankin it right above meldrum?:think:

S
steelhead1
It seems like the majority of fishermen,well maybe not most, but a large percentage, dont have a clue or they just dont care about respecting another persons fishing "space".This drives me to the point of packing up and finding another hole,a frustrating waste of time that could have been spent fishing.So, to all you squeezers out there,get a clue.When someone is in the spot you want to fish,they were there first,its their hole,find another spot.I realize conditions can be VERY crowded on popular stretches,and the temptation to weasel in is,well,tempting,but it is a d*ckhead move!:naughty:Sorry for being so bitchy,but this is one of the things that really irritate me.

T
The Nothing
That's why I keep my scuba gear in the car, tank charged up and ready to go. They never seem to come back if you cut their anchor line...

jk

Its tough out there. I'd imagine the first boat had no idea where he was and that it was a popular banking spot. Once that first boat is anchored in, others follow suit.

I've only had to let one boat know they were anchoring in my casting area. I had been there for several hours, and had been talking with some of the other guys anchored in the same hole. Not 2 minutes after letting my presence known, I had a fish on the line. By the time I got it in, they were gone...

S
Swamp Puppy
all the other boats in that particular line would have been fine. they were up a bit farther than normal, but still would not have been an issue if they stayed out along the usual spots. the one fella that came in late and cut to the inside slot right off the bank was really the only issue.

the funny thing was that it was the boats farther out from him in the line that were getting the take downs. about noon or so he got tired of watching the guy next to him catch fish and he chocked his boat over to to to get his lures back into the other guy's lane. i was surprised that didn't cause a conflict in itself.

like i have said though..i am new to this river salmon fishing thing and some things may seem off to me that are just considered normal practices by those that do this all the time. for now, i am just keeping my mouth shut and learning as i go.

T
Troutier Bassier
So what is this "Local Island"???

N
ninja2010
tnffishman said:
i think i saw you out ther ninja, were you bankin it right above meldrum?:think:

nah... i was on my toon by the floating homes across from willy park launch.

J
joemomma
One last shot tomorrow!

J
joemomma
Lost a nice pig at the boat yesterday, saw about 6 caught for 6 boats in our line! Not a good springer year for me, but only been twice!:cool: