What kind of carp?

B
Bass Ackwards
I saw a big fish hittin the top of the water like a carp yesterday and threw out a piece of hamburger bun on a treble hook and 1 minute later and wham!!! GOT this biggun. Just wondering what kind of carp it is.

T
Throbbit _Shane
I have no clue what kind of carp it is. But it is a nice one!! good job. i need to go try for these beast :D

M
Moe
Looks like a nice common carp, great job!

D
Drew9870
Let's just say, don't get caught fishing for those, especially if thats Devils Lake.

It's a Grass Carp, and I have always wanted to fight and land one, if you caught that in Albany, Please PM me with some details.

Last edited:
I
Ifishforfood
that is definitely a grass carp. right on!

M
michigan_transplant
that looks like it was a good time with that pole, how long did it take to get it in.

C
chris61182
Drew9870 said:
Let's just say, don't get caught fishing for those, especially if thats Devils Lake.

It's a Grass Carp, and I have always wanted to fight and land one, if you caught that in Albany, Please PM me with some details.

Drew is spot on, on all accounts.

It's been a while, but Devils lake is the only place those are supposed to be still, right?!

D
Drew9870
Theres a few roaming the Willamette and the Columbia, but not in significant numbers. I have heard rumors about Albany holding a few.

T
Troutier Bassier
Its a grass carp and lets hope you let it go. Thats what most people consider the "good carp".

T
Thuggin4Life
A nice big carp is what it is!

C
chris61182
Troutier Bassier said:
Its a grass carp and lets hope you let it go. Thats what most people consider the "good carp".

Actually quite the contrary if it's not one of the infertile hybrids. They are extremely prolific spawners and will decimate the river.

R
Rascal
chris61182 said:
Actually quite the contrary if it's not one of the infertile hybrids. They are extremely prolific spawners and will decimate the river.

here we go again be prepared for the full force of the pro-carp OFF league lol

D
Drew9870
Nah, but being that you called me out on it, I'll just chime in to say what he said is true, Grass Carp can eat its own weight in vegetation per day, so they can cause a lot of destruction, which could pose potential risks for your hatchery raised Steelhead.

Not all Carp are the same, Common Carp are the least of ones worries when it comes to Carp, Asian Carp are what give Carp a bad name (Grassers, Bigheads, Silvers). If Common Carp were so destructive, then ODFW and all the other states would take measures to eradicate them, you don't hear about Common Carp being eradicated from a body of water since they can fit in an ecosystem, Asian Carp will wipe out an ecosystem.

Last edited:
J
john montana
Grass carp. They are illegal to intentionally target in both oregon and washington and are supposed to be sterile and stocked only for weed control. That said, I have seen them in the Columbia and willamette rivers. I don't buy the "enclosed lakes only" stocking arguments for a second.

B
Bass Ackwards
Thanks for the info everyone. And it looks like they are illegal to target. My bad!! It was at devils lake and it went back in unharmed. it was a great fight on a little trout rod though. It took about 15 minutes to land. Too bad:( I was looking forward to targeting them again.

D
Drew9870
Trout like bread too :lol:;)

Seriously, I have caught natives and hatchery trout on breadballs.

My point, you don't have to target the Carp, but accidents do happen.

H
hookmiester
How are we supposed to know?

How are we supposed to know?

I caught 1 the other day on the S Santiam. There is nothing in the synopsis about them is there?

D
Drew9870
No way, are you sure it wasn't a Largescale Sucker? I don't think Carp are in the Santiam although I have heard different.

I have seen some monster fish stacked up in slower currents, I always thought they were Squaws and Suckers, but I could've been wrong.

J
john montana
If you caught a Grass Carp in the Santiam, that is a big problem. These "sterile" fish are supposed to be stocked only in landlocked lakes, but they are out in the Big C and Willamette. I sure as heck hope they haven't moved up into the Santiam and other rivers. They really like warmer water so the Santiam doesn't really fit the bill, but who knows. I love to catch carp, but i'm not for putting either common or grass carp in any new environments.

got any pictures?