Rod storage

N
nativefish
Got my pontoon all assembled and was wondering where I could store a couple extra rods while keeping them out of the way. I bought a berkley rod mount, the kind you hang on the wall, but am unsure how to mount it without it interfering with anything else. So anyone who takes their pontoon in the rivers, how do you store your rods while floating if you take more than one? Any pics or types of accessories you use would be cool.

W
wozniasm
nativefish said:
Got my pontoon all assembled and was wondering where I could store a couple extra rods while keeping them out of the way. I bought a berkley rod mount, the kind you hang on the wall, but am unsure how to mount it without it interfering with anything else. So anyone who takes their pontoon in the rivers, how do you store your rods while floating if you take more than one? Any pics or types of accessories you use would be cool.

I plan on making what I saw this weekend where a guy had a milk crate with the rod holders (look like PVC Pipe) that you can get from Fisherman's attached via wire ties to the crate. He had three stored like that. He just used bungee cords to strap it to his rear deck. The crate is also a storage bin as well.
The following is what he used:
MARINE METAL PRODUCT Tournament Rod Holders at West Marine
Rod Holder.jpg

M
Modest_Man
I'm going to use a larger diameter pvc tube with caps that I can put them in and strap lengthwise down the tube. That way if anything happens like a flip, the rods will be fine and won't fall out or break.

H
Hawk
Modest_Man said:
I'm going to use a larger diameter pvc tube with caps that I can put them in and strap lengthwise down the tube. That way if anything happens like a flip, the rods will be fine and won't fall out or break.

Good choice bro.
That's what i use fer my sewer hose on my ol m

otorhome, too...:lol::lol::lol::cool:
:dance::dance:

S
steelhead1
cheap and easy

cheap and easy

We just lash the rods to the tube along the frame with bungees and/or rope.I wouldnt try this with a one peice rod,but just break down your two piece when storing your extra rods,or running rapids.:D

M
markasd
G
GoldFishSlayer
I just got one of the foam holders holds like three rods I put the handles behind me resting on my back deck and slide the tops in the foam keeps em from bangin around so much I used to have it the other way around but it was kinda a pain to reach back and pop you rod out and if you forgot you had a rod stickin out the back and backed into a bank to get out and fish yep crunch I break my two piece rods down and whichever rod I am using I just slide in my holder when I have to row works pretty slick for tying up that way too could even pull a plug if ya wanted or sometimes i cast my bobber out and put the rod in the holder and just control the line by rowing when it goes down gotta be kinda quick though

N
nimzrock
I mounted a real fish on rod holder on the frame behind the right oar lock, but for storage I have a full size milk crate bunjy corded onto the back deck and zip tied 12 inch long pieces of pvc into the back corners. this works for spin rod storage and I have a rod set up for trolling , spinners and also bottom .

R
radiation
I did what it sounds like most of you folks did. I mounted a large milk crate that I bought at Goodwill for $4, then I zip tied some oversized PVC in a couple of corners. I also bought 2 of these rod holders.rod holder.jpg I have one in front of me and one behind me. They hold all my rod types.The only thing bad about them is I can't lock in my baitcast rod, though that hasn't caused a problem yet. I usually keep the fly rod in the back, while my spinner or bait cast are up front. Which ever casting rod that i'm not using gets put into a PVC tube for later.

Last edited: