rusty flies

F
flytrekker1007
so i did a big noob move and didn't let my flies dry after using them and now they are rusty. are they still good?

F
flytrekker1007
well lots of people have looked at this thread but no response. ill check ifish

E
eggs
Well you gave us 20 minutes to reply.. views are counted by all visitors registered members as well unregistered guests.... if you prefer ifish then I guess that cool...

To answer your question.. if it is just some surface rust I would use a wire brush and remove it and fish'em... I have done that many times.. if it is solid rust they are toast..

Reactions: Markcanby
F
flytrekker1007
Thanks eggs i will do that. It will be a pain considering i have about 100 flies in my box. Bad mistake. Ok i gothca on the views, i didn't know that. I was saying i would check ifish because i have an account there as well so i figured i could get a response there as well.

E
eggs
The wire brush to remove rust is to prevent the rust from digging in and eating through.. if you plan to replace the flies in a while or loose a lot of flies then fish em as is..

A quick rub with sandpaper could do the trick and be faster..

F
flytrekker1007
ill give it a go

J
jimmy
check the eyes too, rust is abrasive and abrasive+fish on = SNAP! and bad language. . . try that sandpaper ( 1000 grit is my vote as it gives the hook point a nice polish ) and test the strength of the bend with a pull or two.

not to monday morning quarterback you, but, I carry a small box of flies and have a back up box with the majority of my flies I call the 'shop' somewhere accessable ( in camp, the car, with my lunch etc.). there's no telling when your gonna step on a rock weird and have your stash flip out of a pocket and watch it swiftly float downstream, quickly ending your day if 'all your eggs are in one basket'. . .

if you have to toss your flies, do it and don't feel to bad about it, equipment failure is the absolute worst way to lose that fish you've been after for years. . .

good luck, tight lines

N
NoobTooner
oh and here's a trick i've seen the old man pull. (i my self am not a fly fisherman.. can't handle the smug) but i've seen him dipping the hooks in epoxy or uv adhesive (like knot sense) then after it sets he just uses a hook file to clear off the tip and barb and he never has any rust issues after that.
just take a long piece of the heaviest line you can get threw the eye and make a large loop to hold onto while you coat the hook, let it set and then tie your fly...
or if you buy em at the store, just use a small brush or hold back the tail and dip the exposed hook only. then just like before, clear the tip and barb and you're all set.
good luck dude.
NT

Y
Yohan
NoobTooner said:
oh and here's a trick i've seen the old man pull. (i my self am not a fly fisherman.. can't handle the smug) but i've seen him dipping the hooks in epoxy or uv adhesive (like knot sense) then after it sets he just uses a hook file to clear off the tip and barb and he never has any rust issues after that.
just take a long piece of the heaviest line you can get threw the eye and make a large loop to hold onto while you coat the hook, let it set and then tie your fly...
or if you buy em at the store, just use a small brush or hold back the tail and dip the exposed hook only. then just like before, clear the tip and barb and you're all set.
good luck dude.
NT

Great tip. I've done the same when I want to use a freshwater fly/hook in the salt.

btw... you don't have to be smug to be a fly-fisherman... just sayin'

N
NoobTooner
Yohan said:
"btw... you don't have to be smug to be a fly-fisherman..."

....EXACTLY!:lol:

M
mrlindeman
You can seal your hooks in epoxy before tying as well. Or use wax when tying flies. Or good ol W-D-40 :) :)

Y
Yohan
NoobTooner said:
....EXACTLY!:lol:

Exactly what?

You gave a good tip, but had to take a jab at people who fly fish (in the fly fishing section). You could of just as easily giving your advice without the disdain towards fly fisherman. From your comments I could say "I myself am not a gear fisherman.. can't handle the ignorance", but I would never say that because I don't believe it. I hate the "us vs. them" mentality that you obviously have. We all are doing the same thing, just with different tool/methods.

Reactions: Markcanby
brandon4455
brandon4455
Yohan said:
Exactly what?

You gave a good tip, but had to take a jab at people who fly fish (in the fly fishing section). You could of just as easily giving your advice without the disdain towards fly fisherman. From your comments I could say "I myself am not a gear fisherman.. can't handle the ignorance", but I would never say that because I don't believe it. I hate the "us vs. them" mentality that you obviously have. We all are doing the same thing, just with different tool/methods.

:clap:

F
flytrekker1007
agreed, and I do all kinds of fishing, i drift for steelies and fly fish for trout and I'm a regular guy who just loves to catch fish.