I broke my reel..

W
womanwhofishes
Its a Eagle Claw ...
I changed it from a left hand to a right hand and must not of had the threads right on the handle part ..
stripped..
and the tip of the thingie that goes thur the reel to the handle is broke off ..(keeps the whole thing together)
hence the handle doesn't stay on now..
didn't keep the rec. can't send it to them for FREE repairs.
Its not fun watching scottishsmokedsalmon fish and I dont.. only pole..IN!
any suggestions ?
repairs/parts in the lane county?

K
kornphlake
Depending on how much you like the reel and how expensive it would be to replace, you could degrease the threads, both internal and external, then use a few drops of epoxy to hold the handle in place. I can't guarantee it would be a long lasting or durable solution, but it would work until a replacement can be found. You'd have to decide left or right hand for certain, once the handle is glued in place you wouldn't be able to remove it.

A more professional way of repairing the reel would be to use a helicoil, but that process can be difficult and I'm not sure if there'd be enough material to drill out for the oversized threads.

Even though you don't have the receipt you should call Eagle Claw, they may honor the warranty, or at least give you the part numbers you'd need and refer you to a service center where you could order the appropriate replacement parts.

Reactions: womanwhofishes
J
JeannaJigs
I reccomend Two Bros. Tackle for reel repair, I took an older reel there a few years ago when my bail broke reeling in a salmon. They fixed it for a minimal amount (can't remember how much, I think it was maybe $10?) and cleaned it for free. It was as good as new, and I still have it. They are on McKinley, the old fire training station.

Reactions: womanwhofishes
Troutski
Troutski
Extra Reel...

Extra Reel...

I just happen to have an extra reel, what size are you use to? Let me know if your interested...

Chuck

W
womanwhofishes
thanks but he got me a new one..

thanks but he got me a new one..

my darling smoked salmon got me a new one wish me luck....
i need it..

W
womanwhofishes
JeannaJigs said:
I reccomend Two Bros. Tackle for reel repair, I took an older reel there a few years ago when my bail broke reeling in a salmon. They fixed it for a minimal amount (can't remember how much, I think it was maybe $10?) and cleaned it for free. It was as good as new, and I still have it. They are on McKinley, the old fire training station.

thanks jeannajigs and troutski
but we called them yesterday quoted us $22 to look and clean it then repairs are on the side of that.. when We just went to a Bi-fish-mart (lol) and got a new one for $21 and No i didn't get another eagleclaw and had the fishing dept dude switch the handle for me so I wouldnt strip it again..
this pole and reel is a diawa.. again wish me luck..
I need it blessed by someone to give me good luck cuz we suck!:pray:

1aB
Spinning reel mechanisms are less complicated than bait casters & if you have time wouldn't hurt to dismantle your "retired" reel for a look. With the handle off unscrew the side plate from the main reel body which should easily disconnect with the main gear. You might be surprised how simple it would be to replace parts, in your case sounds like the main gear and maybe handle lock screw if damaged? Eagle Claw in Denver is only a coupla states away and SH cost shouldn't be too bad if spare parts are available. I once got a free replacement reel from "Pure Fishing" because they didn't have spare parts for a Mitchell Spidercast reel. You already know about force stripping screws, but I'll mention that you should be extra careful with side plate screws especially into a graphite body. Maybe you still have the reel box and parts diagram?

Forgot to mention that an old small stiff bristled paint or tooth brush & a bit of kerosene or paint thinner in a small bowl can be used for parts cleaning if necessary.

Last edited:
Troutski
Troutski
Good Luck...

Good Luck...

womanwhofishes said:
thanks jeannajigs and troutski
but we called them yesterday quoted us $22 to look and clean it then repairs are on the side of that.. when We just went to a Bi-fish-mart (lol) and got a new one for $21 and No i didn't get another eagleclaw and had the fishing dept dude switch the handle for me so I wouldnt strip it again..
this pole and reel is a diawa.. again wish me luck..
I need it blessed by someone to give me good luck cuz we suck!:pray:

Good luck to you and may break in your new combo with personal record...Tight lines.

Chuck