Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 47 of 47

Thread: The wall in OC

  1. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Albany, OR
    Posts
    169
    They should at least have a PVC chute you can slide the fish down to ensure they hit the water right. It doesn't solve the damage caused by pulling them up by a noose but it's something better then throwing them off the wall.

  2. #42
    Experienced Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    Posts
    250
    i fpound this link, hope I post it right... sorry if it is wrong.
    Sturgeon fishing tactics in Oregon City challenged | Bill Monroe - OregonLive.com

  3. #43
    Moderator Growbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Dickie Prairie, Molalla
    Posts
    743
    arghhh... i have driven past this place hundred times and pulled over once to watch. Someone was using the noose technique to pull up a whopper. He took ages getting it up the wall, no idea how long it bounced off the rocks. When he got it up, he said 'Too big', unhooked it and let it fall... I walked away!

    Thinking mechanically though.. wouldnt a nice 4ft by 4ft net with rods on two ends (think dolphin cradle) and an electric winch attached to the railing (ie a clamp on boat winch) make things a lot easier and safer there?
    -------------------------------
    The difference between a Senko and a Banjo Minnow?? The Senko actually catches trophy fish, whilst the Banjo spends most of its time catching unwary fishermen.

  4. #44
    goverment Mule Top Author halibuthitman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    on the edge
    Posts
    4,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Growbug View Post
    arghhh... i have driven past this place hundred times and pulled over once to watch. Someone was using the noose technique to pull up a whopper. He took ages getting it up the wall, no idea how long it bounced off the rocks. When he got it up, he said 'Too big', unhooked it and let it fall... I walked away!

    Thinking mechanically though.. wouldnt a nice 4ft by 4ft net with rods on two ends (think dolphin cradle) and an electric winch attached to the railing (ie a clamp on boat winch) make things a lot easier and safer there?
    wouldn't it just be easier to fish 20' of the other 500 miles of sturgeon water in oregon? it would be fun to sit in a boat out on the river and try to shoot their lines with a pellet rifle. Why invent contraptions to facilitate a stupid location to fish.... buy a boat.
    I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road and not have his motives questioned-

    visit my page at www.facebook.com/fiberhammer

  5. #45
    Experienced Member todd_brooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    L.O getto
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheFly View Post
    Hey Mike and Todd, I ultimately think you guys are right. Too tough on the fish. I used to troll for Springers in there and those guys would get really pi$$t OFF if you got too close to their lines. Salmon would cruise in the inversion layer in about 15 line pulls out but the sturgeon hole below the wall, according to the fish finder graph, dropped down to 90'.
    I was wondering how you identify the inversion layer?? And is that the rule of thumb you use to find the springers??
    Thanks. Todd

  6. #46
    Just another day of C&R Top Author OnTheFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Oregon City
    Posts
    4,161
    Quote Originally Posted by todd_brooks View Post
    I was wondering how you identify the inversion layer?? And is that the rule of thumb you use to find the springers??
    Thanks. Todd
    I'm sure you have run into inversion layers while swimming in lakes where as the top section of water is warmer than water down about 10 to 15'. You ever catch trout out of Ollalie Lake? The trout get hooked in the deeper colder water and when you pull them up through the warm layer the fish will almost die. Anyhoot, if there is a rule of thumb in regards to finding fish in an inversion layer I'd say fish roughly 10 to 15' down. Remember these layers do not occur everywhere. Might also confirm this with osmosis but this information was given to me from guys trolling below Willamette Falls.
    Business hours subject to change during fishing season.

    WOO CARP!!!!!
    CRC: # 4

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    clackamas
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by halibuthitman View Post
    wouldn't it just be easier to fish 20' of the other 500 miles of sturgeon water in oregon? it would be fun to sit in a boat out on the river and try to shoot their lines with a pellet rifle. Why invent contraptions to facilitate a stupid location to fish.... buy a boat.
    Exactly. That $***hole needs to be shutdown, permanently. The people that fish "the wall" could give a damn about those fish, and they certainly aren't going to fork over any money to put in a chute or anything of that nature, and odfw is not gonna put forth the money either. I'm amazed that place has lasted as long as it has, but it needs to be shutdown for good.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123


Fishing in Willamette Zone
Fishing in Northwest Oregon
Fishing in Southwest Oregon
Fishing in Central Oregon
Fishing in Northeast Oregon
Fishing in Southeast Oregon
Salt Water Fishing in Oregon
Fishing outside Oregon
Steelhead Fishing in Oregon
Salmon Fishing in Oregon
Trout Fishing in Oregon
Bass Fishing in Oregon
Sturgeon Fishing in Oregon
Kokanee Fishing in Oregon
Carp Fishing In Oregon
Fishing For Other Species in Oregon