When do winter steelhead arrive on coastal river systems?

P
plumb2fish
Well as far as not knowing anyone, I would be more than willing to meet up and hit either the Siletz or the Alsea. I guess you were not completely understanding that the winter steelhead on the coastal river systems have started to arrive. There will be winter steelhead available in the oregon coastal streams until late april of 2010.

M
Mad dog
The ODFW catch statistics will give you a rough idea of when they are really being caught. Most costal rivers don't open for steelhead fishing until Dec. 1st anyway. The next good rain event after that should pull some fish into the river.
Resources: Fishing - Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife

M
Mike123
Raincatcher said:
Well,sheesh! :confused: Why didn't you say so in the first place? :think: You didn't tell us you were out there as often as most. You didn't say you already knew where your favorite holes were. I guess you're right,sometimes the members do try to "over-help". But a lot of people would just sift out what they already knew and keep the good stuff. Sorry if we OFFended you. :redface: Nobody here thinks you're a totally inexperienced newbie unless you tell us you are. Personally,I look forward to fishing with you soon...if you want to. :cool:

Yea that... ^^^ :rolleyes:

C
chris61182
masmith said:
it is just annoying to ask a question an then get a soapbox answer and a set of opinions.

The only thing I'll say is that I think that have some slightly unrealistic expectations for the internet :lol:.

Next time my advice is that when your question isn't being answered try to refine it and if necessary do so in a new thread so that you can help break people's frame of mind from the original question.

Just my 2cents, and worth exactly what you paid for it :).

F
fishtales
Every action has a reaction based on a Newtonian theory, but sometimes people think differently or try and be difficult. I shake it off and find what I love to do and that is Fishing!

I think a majority of the people here are here to help and poke a little fun.:)

C
chris61182
Mad dog said:
The ODFW catch statistics will give you a rough idea of when they are really being caught. Most costal rivers don't open for steelhead fishing until Dec. 1st anyway. The next good rain event after that should pull some fish into the river.
Resources: Fishing - Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife

Dang! That's some good info, so much for getting anything done at work today :cool:.

I
I Grade
masmith

Bro, just get out there and try. Its the only way you will learn. I was like you about 4 years ago, and i just spent loads of money and time learning how to catch fish. I am BY NO MEANS a PRO at it, but I come home with a fish more often than not finally! As you probably know by now, the people on this forum are 50% VERY helpful/25% marginally helpful/12.5% barely helpful and 12.5% completely worthless. You got a taste of all 4 types in your thread. On the coast, you will see less pressure than the metro area streams that I tend to fish, and that will certainly help your odds. Also, the fish havent seen everything under the stars from every fisherman in town yet. But when I get out to the Wilson and the Trask mid-dec I tend to do well if the water is 'in the zone'. Watch the river gauges on theguidesforecast.com, subscribe to their weekly updates, and check the ODFW website for BREAKING news, Maybe take a trip down a coastal stream with a guide if you can afford it. Other than that...it is all about time spent fishing my friend. Wet up a line, and I hope to see you out there!

I Grade

B
Bohemian
But it's 99 44/100% fun to read!

H
halibuthitman
masmith said:
Ok, so I'll try not to make this too wordie. I ask question, with the goal of getting an answer. I am not looking for seperate opinions. I am asking a question to people who know more then I do. I didn't ask about experience, reading water, time put in etc...

Furthermore- I have been out fishing 1-2 days a week almost every week since the end of august. Until recently on either the nestucca or salmon river and I have found about 5-6 holes on each river. It has nothing to do with time, it is just annoying to ask a question an then get a soapbox answer and a set of opinions.

Everything has to be taken in balance- for example I could quit my job and fish e wry single day, whether the river is blown out, muddy, 50 mph winds etc- or I can try to be intelligent with the time I have, get the best information possible, and try to be in the right place, right time, and try to be succesful with the limited time I have.
Your question has no answer... so you asked a null and void question... and got many of the same kind of answers. I will share the only thing I know to be 100% acurate about fishing.... "you have to catch your own fish" a "report" fish is harder to catch than an ethiopian chicken. These awsome fish travel 10,000 miles in the ocean before they return, and much like the police often arrive long after they are expected. I often fish small rivers with runs of 300-500 fish, needle in a haystack, those fish are my finest trophys, they were quite unlikely and all native and tough. So the best time for coastal steelhead is when you decide you would like to spend a day on the water... fish are bonuses. and if time and money are such an important part of your program, then steelheadin probably isn't a good hobby for you. I would head to the miami the second the water goes down if I were you, but there are probably only six fish in there today... that each weight 12 lbs!

T
Thuggin4Life
I'm heading down around elkton soon to try for steel. They are starting to show up. theres always an early flush of fish around this time. Even if I get skunked it will be no waste of time. And I am a broke unemployed guy who lives no where near elkton.

I
I Grade
Thuggin4Life said:
I'm heading down around elkton soon to try for steel. They are starting to show up. theres always an early flush of fish around this time. Even if I get skunked it will be no waste of time. And I am a broke unemployed guy who lives no where near elkton.

You, my man, are a DIE HARD. <salutes you>

I Grade

S
solution7
Thuggin4Life said:

Hey I'm broke an unemplyed too ., sux

H
halibuthitman
sheesh! between the wilson interative map, and the lose your job but get a girfriend with a good job by wintersteelhead season secret, troutier bassier will NEVER go to colledge!

T
Troutier Bassier
:think: What dose me having to go to College have to do with this?

H
halibuthitman
Troutier Bassier said:
:think: What dose me having to go to College have to do with this?

nothing really... the reel jokce is i speled college wrong!

M
masmith
halibuthitman said:
Your question has no answer... so you asked a null and void question... and got many of the same kind of answers. I will share the only thing I know to be 100% acurate about fishing.... "you have to catch your own fish" a "report" fish is harder to catch than an ethiopian chicken. These awsome fish travel 10,000 miles in the ocean before they return, and much like the police often arrive long after they are expected. I often fish small rivers with runs of 300-500 fish, needle in a haystack, those fish are my finest trophys, they were quite unlikely and all native and tough. So the best time for coastal steelhead is when you decide you would like to spend a day on the water... fish are bonuses. and if time and money are such an important part of your program, then steelheadin probably isn't a good hobby for you. I would head to the miami the second the water goes down if I were you, but there are probably only six fish in there today... that each weight 12 lbs!

LOL, so this question has no answer?

"This will be my first winter steelhead season.

I plan of fishing mostly the Nestucca, but will hit other coastal streams and maybe the Sandy as well. I really want to get the timing figured out primarily on the coastal systems.

When will we be seeing winters show up in tidewater? Also, will they hold in tidewater like the fall salmon runs, or do they shoot up stream quicker since the water level is higher?

Thanks. "

:rolleyes:

H
halibuthitman
masmith said:
LOL, so this question has no answer?

"This will be my first winter steelhead season.

I plan of fishing mostly the Nestucca, but will hit other coastal streams and maybe the Sandy as well. I really want to get the timing figured out primarily on the coastal systems.

When will we be seeing winters show up in tidewater? Also, will they hold in tidewater like the fall salmon runs, or do they shoot up stream quicker since the water level is higher?

Thanks. "

:rolleyes:
ok.... you cornered me.... december 7th at 6:45 am, don't tell anyone else:rolleyes:

M
masmith
halibuthitman said:
ok.... you cornered me.... december 7th at 6:45 am, don't tell anyone else:rolleyes:

You are funny!
:dance::lol::D:clap:

B
bigdog
halibuthitman said:

:naughty:No I thought it was at 8:25 am,:think: now I have to get my boss to let me change my work time. Oh wait I'm my boss ok never mind I'm set:cool:.

I
I Grade
halibuthitman said:

That is the funniest thing I have ever read on this forum....I felt the sarcasm waft over me in a wave.....truly hilarious

5 <----thats a high five

I Grade