Steelhead beginner

C
Casedx2110
I already tired of fishing lakes for trout and want to learn to fish steelhead. I live in the Gladstone Oregon City area and wanted to know any good places on the clackamas around the area. What is a good set up and so ideas for fishing when the river is fast. How do i know what i can keep and what i can't keep. I hope i can get some answers cause im really starting to get into finish and i just dont want to do anything illegal or piss people off. Thanks

A
ArcticAmoeba
Cross Park, and the one across from it where the water treatment plant is, and Riverside Park are all good places to start learning water. Anything missing an adipose fin is retainable in the Clackamas. Drift fishing small presentations of yarn, and/or Coon Shrimp is killer for that river. 18-24" leader, tied to your mainline, and just enough weight to tap bottom a few times during your drift. Usually two to three #5, or #7 split shot will do the job.

C
Casedx2110
ArcticAmoeba said:
Cross Park, and the one across from it where the water treatment plant is, and Riverside Park are all good places to start learning water. Anything missing an adipose fin is retainable in the Clackamas. Drift fishing small presentations of yarn, and/or Coon Shrimp is killer for that river. 18-24" leader, tied to your mainline, and just enough weight to tap bottom a few times during your drift. Usually two to three #5, or #7 split shot will do the job.[/QUOTE

Any websites showing you what that all is. I dont know everything yet. Are spinners not working. The guy at Dicks sporting good told us to throw some there.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Spinners are killing many a fish for me right now, but you need to fish 'em in the right water, and get them deep enough to entice a biter. But Just tie up a swivel to make attachment knots to, or tie your 10 lb. leader to your mainline with a double overhand knot. Drift fishing is just casting upstream at about a 45, and reeling just enough to keep in "contact" with your gear. And cast at a slightly different spot every time, to cover as much water as humanly possible while you are still learning the basics. Shoot me a message with specifics if you want. I can, at very least get you headed in the right direction.

M
metalmania
Try driftin coons under the bridge on the other side of the river across from cross park. Theres a foot bridge that will take you to the other side and a trail that leads down to the water. Theres always somethin hanging out down there.

C
Casedx2110
can you describe how to drift and whats a coon

M
metalmania
Casedx2110 said:
can you describe how to drift and whats a coon

Sorry man sometimes I forget to explain what I say. If you've never drift fished before or wan't a really detailed explanation on drift fishing just p.m me, but AA gave most of the info ya need. Coons is short for coon shrimp, that you can get at B.C angling post in gladstone. 10 bucks gets ya a big o'l bag of them, and they are awesome for steels and nooks to.

V
VagrantAngler
I'm no expert but I will be out at Cross Park tomorrow morning. Hit me up if you want to meet up down there.

C
Casedx2110
where is cross park

V
VagrantAngler
Downtown Gladstone just past the DMV. What part of town do you live in? I've only been a Oregon Res for about a year and a half so I don't know where everything is yet (just the areas I like to fish) but I can try to give directions.

Last edited:
R
ramor7
How long is steelhead open in this area (cross park)? I assume early mornings are the best time to land one? Do you stand any chance early-late afternoon?

Thanks all,

A
ArcticAmoeba
Thanks for the links Chad. I really like the video section you guys have up. I like sliding weight systems for Gators especially. But do you ever find that feeling the bottom is harder with the slider on your drift rig, or does the braid negate that for you? In liue of sliders, I like to run short leaders, and fixed split shot, or slinks, so the instant the fish picks it up, they get the hook point pinned, allowing me to have an extra half second to pull it through. Same idea behind the slider, but a little different rigging...Just giving you a better shot at having them hooked up a split second longer. But I can surely see why the sliders would work so well, by not allowing the fish to feel any resistance until its too friggin late! Haha! Crazy Steelhead! Nice vids man.

A
ArcticAmoeba
ramor7 said:
How long is steelhead open in this area (cross park)? I assume early mornings are the best time to land one? Do you stand any chance early-late afternoon?

Thanks all,

The Clackamas Steelhead will eat all day, and are open for retention all year long. Obviously there are times when the pressure is lower, and they are more willing, but I have hooked Steelhead out of that area at all hours of the day. Both Winters, and Summers. A good time to try hardest is before 11, and after 2. Like most fish, they take a long lunch break.

R
ramor7
thanks!

F
fish_on!!!
across cross

across cross

How do u get across cross park do u go all the way around clackamette past that and is there a parking or do you pull off to the side?

A
ArcticAmoeba
The recreational park across the river from Cross Park is located at the very bottom of HWY 213. You take the Park Place/Molalla exit, and head west, not east. You will come around a bend, and the parking area is off to your left. It fishes from just below the foot bridge, all the way down as far as you can walk/wade.

S
steelhead_stalkers
I started steelhead drift fishing using a fixed setup but then tried the sliding setup and liked it. I have now gone back to the fixed because I think that you feel the fish sooner. I love using the braid for drift fishing as I like how sensitive it is and I haven't noticed any problems with fish being spooked by the braid. Thanks for the compliments about the videos, I hope it helps.

A
ArcticAmoeba
No doubt man. As long as yer braid isn't Hi-Vis Yellow, I think it would be a great choice! Haha! I have seen it though. Drift fishers with Chartreuse line!:shock: I just seem to rally through hundreds of yards a month, so Mono is my only, cost effective option right now. And I'm sure those videos have helped hook at least a few fish for your viewers.;)

N
ninja2010
ArcticAmoeba said:
No doubt man. As long as yer braid isn't Hi-Vis Yellow, I think it would be a great choice! Haha! I have seen it though. Drift fishers with Chartreuse line!:shock:

are steelies really that line shy? besides, with drifting and bobbers, etc, wouldn't the leader be ahead of the mainline?

S
steelhead_stalkers
It depends on the river, pressure, water clarity and a few other factors. I know that they are line shy especially in low, clear water or very pressured water like every Oregon river :) Drift fishing your leader and mainline are going through the same area of water. With float fishing it is a little less important but I have still seen where fish will get weary after a few passes with your float and jig or bait. That is why for the most part I always use flouro and light line unless the water is colored up. Fish can see really well and they know when an eagle is flying over so I'm sure they know what a bright colored line is after a while. I figure its hard enough to catch tons of steelhead you might as well give yourself the best chance and some things I do I believe help put more fish on the bank!