BOUNTY-ful fish

C
cavdad45
Is anyone looking to participate in the Northern Pikeminnow (Squawfish) Bounty/Reward Program this year? The season just opened Monday and is open through September.

My wife saw it on the news tonight and figured that I should be doing more of that. I said I would, but if I made enough to match my regular income, I could quit my regular job next May when next year's season opens. :lol:

O
osmosis
Last year I caught one of the tagged squaw/pikeminnows.
$500 check for that one fish alone..

They list the "top earning people" and a few lucky folks make more money than your average person with a 'real job.

Last edited:
H
Hawk
cavdad45 said:
Is anyone looking to participate in the Northern Pikeminnow (Squawfish) Bounty/Reward Program this year? The season just opened Monday and is open through September.

My wife saw it on the news tonight and figured that I should be doing more of that. I said I would, but if I made enough to match my regular income, I could quit my regular job next May when next year's season opens. :lol:

I thot bout doin' that.....................but....................i makes mo $$$$$$$ rollin' barristers.........................:B:B:B:B............hee

H
Hawk
osmosis said:
Last year I caught one of the tagged squaw/pikeminnows.
$500 check for that one fish alone..

They list the "top earning people" and a few lucky folks make more money than your average person with a 'real job.

WOW..........ConGratiations Bro..................i've caught squawfish & never got a .....5.....cents........................:B:B:B

B
Boywhofishes
i've been thinking about doing it this year but, i'd rather spend my time goin for some big chromers. they've upped the bounty this year, probably hoping to get more people interested. :cool:

T
Toby4131
Pikeminnow fishing from the bank?

Pikeminnow fishing from the bank?

Can the pikeminnows be caught from the bank? I don't have a boat, but the idea of catching some fish for fun and some extra money is very appealing. If it is possible to catch them from the bank, I would sure like to give it a try.

T
The Nothing
Toby - I have the exact same question... was just talking about this to the wife on the way home...

F
FishKiller23
The Nothing said:
Toby - I have the exact same question... was just talking about this to the wife on the way home...

They sure can. ive caught about 20 of them in a day off the bank on the columbia river. Night time is a good time to get them off the bank with a juicy nightcrawler.

Ive never turned them in but I know they have a few stations where you can sign up each day.

C
cavdad45
Last Saturday my son and I went to Mayer Stae Park near The Dalles to fish for squaws. All we caught were a bunch of smallmouth bass!!! Couldn't keep the buggers off!!! :shock:

So from now on, I am never going bass fishing again. Just squawfishing! I catch more bass that way! :dance:

B
Boywhofishes
any nice sized smallies?...:shock:

C
cavdad45
One was near three-pounds. The others were in that 11-13" range.

B
Boywhofishes
those must of been some fun.:D

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Those things freakin reek... I though about smoking some just to see what they would be like.... I made it a whole three hours with one still in the boat and that was that. Next experiment: Carp.

B
bowzer1972
Help with a spot?

Help with a spot?

FishKiller23 said:
They sure can. ive caught about 20 of them in a day off the bank on the columbia river. Night time is a good time to get them off the bank with a juicy nightcrawler.

Ive never turned them in but I know they have a few stations where you can sign up each day.

Does anyone want to share a decent spot to go to get some of these buggers to turn in? I want to do some of this during the summer, but it's going to be hard to convince the wife if I only bring home $8 my first time out (which as we know, won't pay for the gas it takes to get there). Where are some good spots to get these guys, that's somewhat close to Portland? Thanks a ton! Chris

B
Boywhofishes
anywhere that trout would hangout they're usually there

O
osmosis
boywhofishes- The trout comment is partially correct, but it is unaplicable.
pikeminnow Have to come out of the columbia river (and few other places) to count towards the bounty program legally - I sincerely hope No one "trout fishes" for the smolts in the columbia, or takes tualatin fish in to get money for them!

look for anywhere there is a place to tuck out of the current a little bit, eddies, structure, and "frog water". lots of them sit in slow water - Fish are lazy.

bait works best in most cases, but spinners, plugs, jigs, anything and everything works.

even if they are too small to go towards the reward program, kill them.
we kill most of the bass we catch in the columbia too (that the regs allow us to kill per day -other wise it'd be more)

Last edited:
D
DDR
Osmosis. Please enlighten me as to why you kill the bass. What kind of harm do they cause to the fishery/river system?

C
chris61182
osmosis, I applaud you :clap:. One of the few people who really walk the talk when it comes to smolt predators and not just turning exclusively on the traditional scape-goats, even when it's going to be an unpopular opinion.

O
osmosis
Thanks Chris, I figured I would be alone on this one..
I didn't mean to offend the bass anglers either.
I believe that keeping predator populations in check will benefit Oregon fisheries.
even IF bass weren't smolt killers, they would be competing for food and space- they are definitely detrimental towards our salmon runs.

Salmon are a great food fish, a Big part of Oregons economy, our livelyhoods, and our history..
Bass taste like crap, and shouldn't be doing so well in the CR. I can't think of a good quality about bass except that they are TOUGH and that they are something pulling on the end of your line. They don't even make ok crab bait..

If your goal is world record bass fishing, somewhere roasty toasty like texas may be calling your name.
Here we are fortunate enough to have Salmon and steelhead - and our runs are in decline - there are far too many factors against the fish, like bass and pikeminnow, walleye, marine mammals in fresh water (plus in their coastal environment), the dams, Then just about everything out in the ocean is out to get them too. the list is nearly infinite..
Their life cycle is tough enough without warmwater species in cold water.

Would you prefer future generations are stuck catching 1-3lb bass, or fish that actually weigh 10lbs or more? big #10-15 coho, #8-12 steelhead, and #10-30+ chinook.

If between every bass I've ever killed, it gave Oregon just 1 more returning adult salmon, I would (and do) believe I did the correct thing.

Now, I do believe there is a place for bass too - farm ponds. Not the CR or any other salmonid inhabited river system..

In 06/07 fall/winter I personally caught (C&R mostly) 193 steelhead. I didn't even see that many steelhead this fall/winter. last year pods of 50 fish wasn't crazy, the largest pod I saw in my favorite little stream was THREE FISH, THREE!!!
I stopped counting at 140 coho caught last fall, I'm in anticipation to see what this year will show.

Last edited:
D
DDR
Osmosis, thanks for the information. That's a lot to ingest and ponder. I'll definitely have to read up on any research that's been done. That's one thing I like about these forums. We can discuss things without getting upset... even if points of view differ.